Brett's custom Tineo SongTower QWT's

jsalk

Brett's custom Tineo SongTower QWT's
« on: 3 Feb 2008, 05:17 pm »
Brett paid us a visit and spent some time listening to speakers.  He fell in love with the SongTower's.  He also fell in love with the HT3's we had on hand at the time, but thought that he had better not spend quite that much money at this time.  But he sure liked the Tineo finish on the HT3's.  He and his wife came back a few weeks later to make a final decision.  When she saw the Tineo, there was no question what finish they wanted on their new SongTowers.

Here is the result...

And a close-up...

Happy listening Brett!

- Jim

brett11

Re: Brett's custom Tineo SongTower QWT's
« Reply #1 on: 4 Feb 2008, 08:06 pm »
Just to give you a taste of the Salk Artistry!!!!   There is not a picture that will do them justice!   I will post my comments on them shortly.   They sound better than they look if that's possible!!
 :D :thumb:
http://pictures.aol.com/galleries/bslotka11?backState=prevPage%3D/ap/myAlbums.do%26state%3DalbumId%253D19959.1171.1153761792385.1

martyo

« Reply #2 on: 5 Feb 2008, 09:49 am »
Love that Tineo.    8)

brett11

« Reply #3 on: 8 Feb 2008, 02:30 am »
 :D
The Salk Song Towers
[/center]More than I ever expected in a $1500 speaker!
    I have owned many speakers over the years, as well as having auditioned over 100.  A year and a half ago, I became so frustrated with the hobby that I sold everything.  I just couldn’t take the ongoing upgrades and the incredible amount of money I had invested in the quest.  This was truly significant considering how much I truly love music.  I have been fascinated with its reproduction for as long as I can remember.  I had reached the point of diminishing returns and always found myself wanting anyway.  It was a good excuse to get out and enjoy my young family. 
   My wife and I found other activities to occupy our time with, especially our wonderful children.   Unfortunately, maybe fortunately, we missed music.  It had been such a special part of our lives that we realized we needed it back in our home.  Our childhood memories always had a musical theme.  My wife and her Shaun Cassidy record player listening to Elvis.  My family listening to Joe Cocker, Neil Diamond, Earth, Wind, and Fire, and many others.  I remember how much we enjoyed music on old eight tracks and cassette tapes.  My parents got out of the records because of the kids.  (I have them all now!) 
   I digress, along came Jim Salk.  Arguably, the nicest man in Hi-Fi!    I had to hear these speakers that I had read about.  Could they really be that good for that price?   As we all know, we never really hear about the great obscure speakers.  Apparently, you have to take out a full-page ad in TAS or Stereophile to be recognized.  Ah, the joys of big business. 
   I contacted Jim and quickly realized that this was the type of man that I wanted to purchase speakers from.  He is kind, accommodating, knowledgeable, and really cares about satisfying his customers.  (ALL OF THEM!! )  I am a Michigan resident, so I had the pleasure of auditioning the speakers in Jim’s lovely home.  I told Jim that I would have to bring my kids.  Of course he said, “No problem.”  My kids are 3 and 1.  Who else would have said that? 
   We listened to many different types of music.  Jazz, folk, vocals, blues, classical, you name it.  I was mesmerized by the mid-range, but just couldn’t believe the top to bottom coherence of these speakers.  They are just amazing at this price point or any other for that matter.   As you know, the mid-range is where it’s at.  Unfortunately, and all too often, the rest is just not that good.  We are always making sacrifices or concessions for the perfect mids.  I owned Maggies for years.  They are great in their own right, but you better have a very good amplifier with TONS of power.  Not the case with Song Towers!
   We had to leave that night, but I vowed to bring my wife back.  She is always my voice of reason.  I needed to make sure that I was hearing what I was hearing. 
   A week later my wife and I made the trip.  She really isn’t an audiophile, but she knows what music is supposed to sound like.  She is brutally honest and doesn’t have a problem telling it the way it is.   She claims that I am sometimes lacking in that department.  She is right.  Well, the obvious happened first.  She immediately fell in love with the looks of the speakers.  LET’S GET SOMETHING STRAIGHT RIGHT NOW.  SALK MAKES THE MOST BEAUTIFUL SPEAKERS OUT THERE.  THE FINISH ALONE WARRANTS TEN TIMES THE PRICE TAG.  YOU CANNOT BE DISAPPOINTED. THEY ARE BREATHTAKING.   THE MAN IS AN ARTIST AND CRAFTSMAN.
   How do they sound?  As I previously stated, WONDERFUL MID-RANGE.  That’s where it starts.   Fortunately, that’s not where it ends.  All of the audiophile terms that I generally have disdain for apply.  Top to bottom coherence, three-dimensionality, delicacy, accuracy, detailed, boxless, and so on.  All positive adjectives apply.  We continued to be amazed.  Everything he played sounded good.  Regardless, of the genre of the music.  $1500!  Are you kidding me?
   Now as you know, all speaker manufacturers have demo CDs.  Jim does too.  Be prepared, its fantastic.  It truly demonstrates what these speakers are capable of.  By the way, we were using a Squeezebox.  That’s right.  No ten thousand dollar CD player here.  It makes you wonder?????  I brought my own CDs too.  Jim gladly obliged.  Of course, they sounded great too.  All validated by my wife, who sat entranced in the zone.
   DYNAMIC!!  BASS!!   When I listen to the Tower of Power, I want to hear the music, but I want to feel it too.   The STs make you want to move.  The groove hits you.  By the way, these have five-inch woofers.  Yes, I’m not kidding.  Five-inch woofers can’t produce this kind of bass.  Wrong.  Bloated – No Chance.  Accurate.  Musical.  I still can’t believe it. Treble!   Sweet, delicate, accurate, non-fatiguing.  Love the Danish.  You can listen to these all day and you just don’t want to stop.   Be careful, they’ll play LOUD.  REALLY LOUD!
   I ordered them.  I am sure that you figured that out by now.  These were some of the longest weeks I can remember.  BUT, is the best investment I have ever made in audio.  I cannot describe how pleased we are with these speakers.  To have something that sounds this good in your home makes the quest worthwhile.  The looks are just a bonus.  The old adage applies, beautiful inside and out.  Ours are SA Tineo.  You have to see to believe. 
   Does the quest have you down and out?  Call Jim.  You won’t be disappointed.  You too, can enjoy the music again!

Brett
Salk Fan Club Member since 2007

texas steve

« Reply #4 on: 12 Feb 2008, 04:41 pm »
:D
The Salk Song Towers
[/center]More than I ever expected in a $1500 speaker!
    I have owned many speakers over the years, as well as having auditioned over 100.  A year and a half ago, I became so frustrated with the hobby that I sold everything.  I just couldn’t take the ongoing upgrades and the incredible amount of money I had invested in the quest.  This was truly significant considering how much I truly love music.  I have been fascinated with its reproduction for as long as I can remember.  I had reached the point of diminishing returns and always found myself wanting anyway.  It was a good excuse to get out and enjoy my young family. 
   My wife and I found other activities to occupy our time with, especially our wonderful children.   Unfortunately, maybe fortunately, we missed music.  It had been such a special part of our lives that we realized we needed it back in our home.  Our childhood memories always had a musical theme.  My wife and her Shaun Cassidy record player listening to Elvis.  My family listening to Joe Cocker, Neil Diamond, Earth, Wind, and Fire, and many others.  I remember how much we enjoyed music on old eight tracks and cassette tapes.  My parents got out of the records because of the kids.  (I have them all now!) 
   I digress, along came Jim Salk.  Arguably, the nicest man in Hi-Fi!    I had to hear these speakers that I had read about.  Could they really be that good for that price?   As we all know, we never really hear about the great obscure speakers.  Apparently, you have to take out a full-page ad in TAS or Stereophile to be recognized.  Ah, the joys of big business. 
   I contacted Jim and quickly realized that this was the type of man that I wanted to purchase speakers from.  He is kind, accommodating, knowledgeable, and really cares about satisfying his customers.  (ALL OF THEM!! )  I am a Michigan resident, so I had the pleasure of auditioning the speakers in Jim’s lovely home.  I told Jim that I would have to bring my kids.  Of course he said, “No problem.”  My kids are 3 and 1.  Who else would have said that? 
   We listened to many different types of music.  Jazz, folk, vocals, blues, classical, you name it.  I was mesmerized by the mid-range, but just couldn’t believe the top to bottom coherence of these speakers.  They are just amazing at this price point or any other for that matter.   As you know, the mid-range is where it’s at.  Unfortunately, and all too often, the rest is just not that good.  We are always making sacrifices or concessions for the perfect mids.  I owned Maggies for years.  They are great in their own right, but you better have a very good amplifier with TONS of power.  Not the case with Song Towers!
   We had to leave that night, but I vowed to bring my wife back.  She is always my voice of reason.  I needed to make sure that I was hearing what I was hearing. 
   A week later my wife and I made the trip.  She really isn’t an audiophile, but she knows what music is supposed to sound like.  She is brutally honest and doesn’t have a problem telling it the way it is.   She claims that I am sometimes lacking in that department.  She is right.  Well, the obvious happened first.  She immediately fell in love with the looks of the speakers.  LET’S GET SOMETHING STRAIGHT RIGHT NOW.  SALK MAKES THE MOST BEAUTIFUL SPEAKERS OUT THERE.  THE FINISH ALONE WARRANTS TEN TIMES THE PRICE TAG.  YOU CANNOT BE DISAPPOINTED. THEY ARE BREATHTAKING.   THE MAN IS AN ARTIST AND CRAFTSMAN.
   How do they sound?  As I previously stated, WONDERFUL MID-RANGE.  That’s where it starts.   Fortunately, that’s not where it ends.  All of the audiophile terms that I generally have disdain for apply.  Top to bottom coherence, three-dimensionality, delicacy, accuracy, detailed, boxless, and so on.  All positive adjectives apply.  We continued to be amazed.  Everything he played sounded good.  Regardless, of the genre of the music.  $1500!  Are you kidding me?
   Now as you know, all speaker manufacturers have demo CDs.  Jim does too.  Be prepared, its fantastic.  It truly demonstrates what these speakers are capable of.  By the way, we were using a Squeezebox.  That’s right.  No ten thousand dollar CD player here.  It makes you wonder?????  I brought my own CDs too.  Jim gladly obliged.  Of course, they sounded great too.  All validated by my wife, who sat entranced in the zone.
   DYNAMIC!!  BASS!!   When I listen to the Tower of Power, I want to hear the music, but I want to feel it too.   The STs make you want to move.  The groove hits you.  By the way, these have five-inch woofers.  Yes, I’m not kidding.  Five-inch woofers can’t produce this kind of bass.  Wrong.  Bloated – No Chance.  Accurate.  Musical.  I still can’t believe it. Treble!   Sweet, delicate, accurate, non-fatiguing.  Love the Danish.  You can listen to these all day and you just don’t want to stop.   Be careful, they’ll play LOUD.  REALLY LOUD!
   I ordered them.  I am sure that you figured that out by now.  These were some of the longest weeks I can remember.  BUT, is the best investment I have ever made in audio.  I cannot describe how pleased we are with these speakers.  To have something that sounds this good in your home makes the quest worthwhile.  The looks are just a bonus.  The old adage applies, beautiful inside and out.  Ours are SA Tineo.  You have to see to believe. 
   Does the quest have you down and out?  Call Jim.  You won’t be disappointed.  You too, can enjoy the music again!

Brett
Salk Fan Club Member since 2007

"Ditto" with my HT3/HTC and now HT surrounds.  Absolutely  fabulous sound!!!  Again, Jim does it!!