Wire up A/c Power for Bugle, Pls?

murf

• Friends don't let friends apex early
Wire up A/c Power for Bugle, Pls?
« on: 3 Feb 2008, 05:01 pm »
Hello Audio Experts!
  I would like to use an old a/c power supply from a Realistic phono pre.  This supply has 2 red wires out of it, which were soldered directly to the board.  Can I use it, please, please?!
                                          TIA!  Murf

hagtech

Re: Wire up A/c Power for Bugle, Pls?
« Reply #1 on: 3 Feb 2008, 10:25 pm »
Probably not.

jh

murf

« Reply #2 on: 4 Feb 2008, 02:48 pm »
Oh.  Well how about a 12v wall wart or two?  Better than the 9v batteries?  Better than the 12v SLA's?  Is there a way to make the Realistic a/c pre work to power the Bugle (this is what I really want)?

Thanks,  Murf

PatOMalley

• This text is personal
    • http://home.comcast.net/~omaille/audio/home.html
« Reply #3 on: 4 Feb 2008, 06:41 pm »

Why not the Bugle power supply found here http://www.hagtech.com/bugle.html#powersupply

hagtech

« Reply #4 on: 4 Feb 2008, 07:04 pm »
Two wall warts might do it.  You really need 3 wires, the Radio Shack only has 2.

jh

murf

« Reply #5 on: 4 Feb 2008, 07:47 pm »
Nothing wrong with the matching Bugle PS, except that I have the a/c Realistic phono pre and the wall warts (ie, free!).  Maybe I'll end up getting the Hagerman PS, but I would like to fool around for now...if I don't wreck something!  As you might guess I'm not too sharp on this stuff (but I can rebuild a car, g*d*mn*t).

Murf

murf

« Reply #6 on: 4 Feb 2008, 10:22 pm »
Two wall warts might do it.  You really need 3 wires, the Radio Shack only has 2.

jh

Hi Jim, 
            Could you make it more simple for me?!  For the wall warts, I figured to wire one to each battery input, + & - on each side, giving 4 wires. 
            Now, I know I'm dumb, but for the RadShack a/c unit, it has 2 wires out.  Both are +, right?  Are you saying that a ground wire is all that is needed here?  I'm so confused....
            I also have a cap question: the 2 can caps (c7 & c10) have the sockets  on the board marked + & -.  I assume the big picture on the side of the cap that looks like a bar (or large negative sign) goes to the neg board socket.  Do the other, brown flat-style caps, have a + & - too?

TIA!    Murf

hagtech

« Reply #7 on: 5 Feb 2008, 05:26 am »
I have no idea what your wall wart is, so cannot answer.

But in a generic sense, most wall warts are two-pronged, meaning they don't connect to earth.  Therefore the output floats like a battery.  Ok great!  If the wart had two output wires, red for positive, black for negative, then you hook one wart up with black to gnd (on BUGLE), the other to +9V.  Other wart is red to gng, black to -9V.

jh