Got the speakers, now what?

mcgsxr

Re: Got the speakers, now what?
« Reply #40 on: 6 Feb 2008, 01:47 am »
My pleasure, this is why they call me the Research King at work!

I did not realize that Bolder ever made a Toslink cable, the M Audio piece only uses Toslink, as far as I can tell.

Decent, cheap sub - http://cgi.ebay.ca/NEW-YAMAHA-sub-subwoofer-HOME-THEATER-8-YST-SW012-BK_W0QQitemZ150211500871QQihZ005QQcategoryZ3275QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem - VERY tough to beat for $60, in the context of this system.

Ichinichi

« Reply #41 on: 6 Feb 2008, 02:15 am »
think a sub would flesh out the sigs?

SET Man

« Reply #42 on: 6 Feb 2008, 02:48 am »
Mark,

The M-Audio Transit and derivatives aren't dacs - they do just what you said, take the usb out and convert it to spdif to feed the digital in of the Panny or any other dac...

Jim

Hey!

I have one of this thingy. Yup, it dose work. I could route single from iTune via external 400g HDD off my PowerBook G4 to my DAC via it optical output.

The down side for me is that I have two cords dangling off my PowerBook on my lap. :icon_lol:

Otherwise it works fine. I could be on the net in infront of my system and still have access to all of my music on iTune. :D But! Still somehow I still prefer to spin CD off my Sony SACD/CD 5 discs changer. I still feel it sound better.... maybe I need better USB to DAC thingy :wink:

But I tend to use this more with my second system. I just run the signal from it via optical straight to my JVC F10 receiver. And I will have hours of musics while doing other thing around the room. :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

Brad

« Reply #43 on: 6 Feb 2008, 03:01 am »
The Bolder is a coax cable.

Depending on what source he goes with, it may/may not work.
I have generally found a coax connection to sound better than optical.

Jampot

« Reply #44 on: 6 Feb 2008, 07:25 am »
I have to confess I didn't realise the Transit only had an optical output - I have a RWA USB Select and that came with one of Vinnie's Coax cables.

BUT - I checked the Amazon listing, and it says there is a toslink in the box....

It may not be the last word in quality but it gets it going, no other ics needed, so

JR Panny $249

Amazon Transit $79

Walmart Yard Master speaker cable $7.88

Parts Express stands $48

You could be listening this weekend if you pay a little extra for shipping :thumb:

Another thought occurs - it may be difficult in an apartment but try to get a decent FM signal into the Panny for loads of good old fashioned 'radio'.

Jim

Scott F.

« Reply #45 on: 6 Feb 2008, 01:30 pm »
If you guys are looking for a decent sounding, super affordable USB DAC, here is another one to consider.

Don't let its $109 price tag fool you for a minute. Coupled with a decent power supply (read=not the stock PS), this thing sounds pretty darned good. I've had mine going since Christmas in my office system (modified JoLida 102b, Odyssey Epiphany's) and it performs extremely well....far better than its hundred dollar price tag reflects.

DAC707 Super Pro USB

Hey Ichinichi, give me a call before you go on a buying spree  :wink:

Ichinichi

« Reply #46 on: 6 Feb 2008, 06:06 pm »
got the yard master today in white :thumb:.

any real reason why i should be using banana plugs over just tinning the tips?

and i've got some "high-tech rosin core silver-bearing solder" is this the same kind of solder as when people say they use silver solder?

Ichinichi

« Reply #47 on: 6 Feb 2008, 06:13 pm »
If you guys are looking for a decent sounding, super affordable USB DAC, here is another one to consider.

Don't let its $109 price tag fool you for a minute. Coupled with a decent power supply (read=not the stock PS), this thing sounds pretty darned good. I've had mine going since Christmas in my office system (modified JoLida 102b, Odyssey Epiphany's) and it performs extremely well....far better than its hundred dollar price tag reflects.

DAC707 Super Pro USB

Hey Ichinichi, give me a call before you go on a buying spree  :wink:

whoa. that's a usb dac? this me up to all receivers and amps!!! :D ALMOST pulled the trigger on the panny too!

scottF, you got PM.

Ichinichi

« Reply #48 on: 6 Feb 2008, 10:47 pm »
Laptop > DAC707 > Emotiva BPA-1 > Insignias

through WMT IC and Speaker Cables.

total cost $367.88  :thumb:

edit: the bpa-1 hasn't gone through yet...fingers crossed!

mcgsxr

« Reply #49 on: 7 Feb 2008, 12:10 am »
Looks like a nice system coming together, where did you find the Emotiva?

Ichinichi

« Reply #50 on: 7 Feb 2008, 03:54 am »
where?  :o cant answer that for now.  8) very hush hush. on that topic, does any one know when the replacement is coming out?

Ichinichi

« Reply #51 on: 8 Feb 2008, 03:58 am »
boo, they sold already. it was on av123 classifieds i think. just got the email today.