Colburn at night - also "bokeh" test - Warning: bad bland pictures inside

ooheadsoo

Only posting these for those who might want to look at Colburn and surrounding area.  I just got a 50mm prime lens that will not meter with my camera.  I find that I can't focus worth beans in the best of situations.  The dang viewfinder is just too small.  Maybe it's because I wear glasses.  A security guard also told me to cease and desist taking pictures if I did not have a permit, so this is all I had time to take.

The 50mm didn't seem like a good choice for architecture.  I still haven't figured out how to compose architectural shots.  Given the chance, I'd shoot with my 18-55mm zoom, next time.  The 50mm is super soft at the wide end, anyway.  In fact, I can't seem to get ANYTHING in focus at f/1.8. 

Any comments welcome. 

And here's my little bokeh/focus test.  At the wide open end, I can't seem to focus worth beans.  It all looks the same to me through the viewfinder, but the pictures come out completely fuzzy.  Now, I would only use this for portraits, but even so, this seems over the top.  I thought this was an interesting test of several clearly juxtaposed distances in the same shot.  I have no metering with this lens, so the exposure is somewhat inconsistent.
« Last Edit: 1 Feb 2008, 02:09 pm by ooheadsoo »

navi

The 50mm didn't seem like a good choice for architecture.  I still haven't figured out how to compose architectural shots.  Given the chance, I'd shoot with my 18-55mm zoom, next time.  The 50mm is super soft at the wide end, anyway.  In fact, I can't seem to get ANYTHING in focus at f/1.8. 

a 50mm is a good lens for archi- but you can't shoot archi at 1.8!!!! You have no depth field!!! shoot it at f8 at least.

ooheadsoo

Luckily, I didn't shoot at f/1.8.  I was just mentioning the fact that I couldn't get anything in focus at 1.8, in general.  The problem I had with the 50mm at Colburn was that I was too close to the buildings and couldn't get farther away.

navi

oh.......
 :duh:

SET Man

Hey!

Very nice. :D

The 50mm is a good lens to have. :D

As for architecture shot, any lens will do depending on the subject and the space you have to work with.

But most photographers that shoot a lot of architecture tend to have more wide angle lens than telephoto lens... and of course the opposite is true with, let's say wild life photographers who shoot a lot of birds and etc. :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

ooheadsoo

Yes, I thought a wide angle lens would be much more appropriate in urban spaces because I simply could not get more than 40ft from the building before something would block the view, and that was with a courtyard giving me room to move.  Most buildings will be obstructed if you are 40ft away.  With the 50mm, I can't capture how tall a building is unless i'm standing at the foot of the building and point my camera at the sky.  I would have done it, given the chance, but that darn security guard ruined my fun.