Teak Prism 5.2 for HT / Music

Todd_Joseph

« on: 1 Oct 2003, 01:09 pm »
I just finished a small basement theater and I'm speaker shopping and I was looking at the deal Norh is running on the Teak 5.2 prisms.  I would use the 5.2 for the L/R and a prism center channel.   The room is 12' wide by 20' long.  I haven't decided on the surrounds yet.  

Can anyone comment on a similar set up?     Also, do the 5.2's require a separate sub for music and HT listening?

I would power the system using an Outlaw audio 1050 receiver.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Todd

Marbles

« Reply #1 on: 1 Oct 2003, 01:50 pm »
I have 5.2's and a 4.1 prism as center in my bedroom setup.  15 x 27 x 16 (opens to a big loft).

I do not need a sub for music but this is not my primary listening room.

There is enough bass for the kids to watch movies in there without a sub as well.

For a primary theater you would want a sub, for a secondary HT, the bass from the 5.2's is probably good enough.

The 5.2's are not a tall speaker and unless you put them on stands, the soundstage appears to be a bit low.  Otherwise I really like these speakers.  

You might also want to check out the 6.6's that Nathan has on sale at Agon.  At $475 delivered this is a great deal IMO.

jqp

• Facilitator
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #2 on: 1 Oct 2003, 02:12 pm »
The 5.2 would require a sub if you are expecting that Home Theater LF experience. But remember you can have a very satisfying HT experience with a PC and the $59 Creative Labs 5.1 computer speakers...its all relative.

The 5.2s could certainly be used, and I'm sure are used, for music without a sub. This would be for people who do not play a lot of frequencies below 48Hz. The lowest notes on the piano, pipe organ, and double bass go below 48Hz. Also 48Hz may be lower than any speakers you have heard at a louder volume.

But they won't faithfully reproduce the lower bass, such as pipe organ or more likely, synthetic/techno music that is more common today. For that you would need a sub(s).

Not to say that you would not be very happy with them in a small home theater environment. It depends on how extreme you want to go, what your lifestyle is. You can damage your hearing watching Action DVDs at loud volumes! You can also damage the structure of your house with low frequency! On the other extreme you can miss those LOW notes you may want to hear at reasonable volumes.

To me the Teak Prism 5.2s are amazing values for the money if you want decent speakers, beautiful speakers,  and unique objets d'art in your home. And they are better than MANY speaskers out there in that price range. The value of the Teak wood, drivers, and the labor make these speakers a steal. But you can only have one L and R speakere, so get the ones that best fit your lifestyle. If I had FOUR sets of speakers, I would have these in a heartbeat (I have 2 sets of Marble 9.0s and one set of Teak 3.0 Prisms). If they are calling you , get them!

Todd_Joseph

« Reply #3 on: 1 Oct 2003, 03:55 pm »
Thanks for the replys,  I guess to put in perspetive what I am used to, I have an upstairs system using 4 paradigm atoms and a PDR 10 sub powered by the Outlaw 1050  that I am very satisfied with.    Norh has intrigued me for several years and in the new theater I wanted to get a floorstanding speaker rather than a moniter.  

Sounds like the Norh will meet my needs.  By any chance are there any owners in theColumbus Ohio area that is willing to demo the Norh products?

Todd

Johng316

« Reply #4 on: 1 Oct 2003, 05:40 pm »
Todd,

I'm in Birmingham, AL, which is a ways away from you.  If you're interested in a road trip or are going to be in my area at some point, feel free to contact me.

I have SM 6.9, 4.0 marble center, 4.0 wood surrounds, and 4.1 prism rear center in my setup.

The teak prisms are certainly attractive, but I prefer the drums for overall sound quality for mains in the HT (especially front center channel).  I would love a pair of of the teak 5.2's in my  bedroom or maybe in the family room.  I can definitely see a pair of these or maybe the teak or marble 3's in my future.

Definitely check out Nathan's 6.6's on offer here.  I would probably grab those were I in your position.  :)

Good luck!!

John

nathanm

« Reply #5 on: 1 Oct 2003, 10:14 pm »
That's excellent advice.  I would definitely take advantage of that swell deal if I were you.  Heck, I would get them myself if I had the money!

Just be careful of that seller though, he has been known to take people's money, not send the goods and use the cash to manufacture phony Girl Scout Cookies made from sawdust and bubble gum.  Caveat emptor.