Change RCA out to XLR or Adaptor?

simsalabim

« on: 1 Oct 2003, 07:37 am »
A Carvin Active crossover XC3000 only has XLR outs.  My mono block WAV 8 amps only have RCA in.  What sort of problems would I run into either:
1) using an XLR-RCA adaptor on the amp side
2) adapting the amp by taking out the RCA plug and installing an XLR in. (of course there are physical problems of drilling out a larger hole etc., but I want to know what electrical problems I'd have, if any.)

Is it possible to change the WAV 8 to a balanced XLR IN or would it just be a cosmetic/practical unbalanced change?

Any help appreciated.  Thanks!

mgalusha

« Reply #1 on: 1 Oct 2003, 12:56 pm »
The easiest method would be to use a cable that had an XLR connector on one end and an RCA plug on the other or use an XLR -> RCA adapter on the crossover.

You could mount XLR jacks in your Wave 8's but they would not be balanced. The adapter route is probably easiest but the downside is the addtion of two more connections in the signal path.

If you're the DIY type you might consider re-terminating a pair of cables with some XLR plugs. Pretty easy to do. Most equipment is wired with Pin 1 to ground, Pin 2 as hot (signal) and Pin 3 as the inverted signal.  If you are putting an XLR plug on an unbalanced cable just connect the shield to Pin 1 and the signal conductor to Pin 2.

Mike G.

simsalabim

« Reply #2 on: 2 Oct 2003, 06:18 am »
Thanks Mike, that's exactly what I needed to know.