lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
The Blues (PBS )
« on: 1 Oct 2003, 05:39 am »
Has anyone been watching " The Blues " on PBS  :?:   Any comments  :?:

MaxCast

The Blues (PBS )
« Reply #1 on: 1 Oct 2003, 11:02 am »
Damn!  I forgot to watch that.  Started Sunday, right?  I was busy watching Harrison catch 3 TD's and figuring my point lead slipping away in FFB.  Played poker Monday.  Had to watch the Cubs last night.
Anyway, how long does it last?  I thought it was 5 days or something like that.

Thump553

The Blues (PBS )
« Reply #2 on: 1 Oct 2003, 02:21 pm »
I've been enjoying the series.  Each night they have a major segment on at least one guy I never heard of.  Last night (Memphis, BB King) was probably my favorite so far.  My brother lives in Memphis, so I've been to Beale Street and the show basically mirrored my impression-Beale Street now is a tourist trap (but a reasonably enjoyable one).  

I think the series goes on seven nights.  I plan on catching them all, which is more television than I've seen in months.  Its the best series of this sort that I've seen since Ken Burns' The Civil War.  Its not perfect (the unacknowledged but obvious reinactments in Monday's episode turned me off), but to use another network's catch phrase, its must-see TV.

Tbadder1

The Blues (PBS )
« Reply #3 on: 1 Oct 2003, 03:27 pm »
So far very disappointing from my point of view.  Barely enough information or performances by the principles. I've only watched the first one so and have taped the other two.  I teach both Son House and Robert Johnson in my 20th Century Literature and Theory classes and was hoping for something useful.  Well, they almost achieved that with Son House, but then they would cut off his speech or his playing, very frustrating.  :evil:

Hantra

The Blues (PBS )
« Reply #4 on: 1 Oct 2003, 03:56 pm »
I'm debating on whether to watch it or not.  It doesn't start on PBS-HD for another few days.  

But anyway, I have been reading these articles about how they screwed everyone on royalties for the show.  They're already out with 20+ CD's, DVD's, etc in addition to the show.  It just amazes me how they could offer a legendary bluesman like $500 for a song to go on a DVD, CD, and a TV series.  

I actually looked at the Eric Clapton disc yesterday, and noticed that there wasn't a single Clapton song on there.  It was all Cream, Mayall, Derek, etc.  Perhaps the rumors are true then that they wouldn't pay up.  

B