Seas MCA 15 RCY in OB.....

JANDG

Seas MCA 15 RCY in OB.....
« on: 29 Jan 2008, 04:28 pm »
I have purchased a pair of these to try in my ever going OB experiments. Is there anyone actually using this driver im OB & can you share the details of it's usage. I am thinking of trying it with a compression driver & or differant tweeter in MTM on small narrow baffle directly above dual 15" PE IB's ran active & 15"'s ran about 2" above floor. El-34 mono's on the 15" which have 16ohm taps only or dual 300S plate amps @ active 4th. The MTM panel can be passive or active ran with my 300B PP amp & 26 or 10 pre. I will try both active & passive. Also is there anything gained by going MTM or should I just try a single MT with just a single SEAS MCA 15 RCY. I allready have successfull OB setups using rare vinatge drivers for the widebander, but I am stopping this practice as prices for such things are stupidly high. Any input on the use of the Seas driver in OB will be greatly appreciated. Thanks J & G

ttan98

Re: Seas MCA 15 RCY in OB.....
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jan 2008, 09:53 pm »
I have tried using OEM Seas driver, similar to your Seas MCA15RCY, however the sensitivity is only about 86dB, I have MTM configuration with a dome tweeter in the middle. The sound is not bad quite good better than using Tangband 871 in MTM configuration. I found the Seas drivers sound to be open but the dynamics are fairly limited. I change to a different drivers(cheap), GRresearch mid driver at $25 each and replace the dome tweeter with compression driver x-over at about 2.5Khz. The total effciency is about 95-96dB. The combo is very dynamic, much better than the Seas and dome combo. I forget to add I use like you twin cheap 12" woofer below the MTM. The sound now is very open and dynamic, more tweaking is required I will stick with these drivers.

You want to stick with yr Seas driver I suggest you use the comp. driver(CD) and compatible horn, the combo costs me only about $60, sound is very good, smooth, open sound stage and very dynamic. If you want I can provide details. The lowest recommended x-over is 2.5Khz, you can purchase more exp CD, with lower x-over.

JANDG

« Reply #2 on: 30 Jan 2008, 02:51 am »
Yes, Please give details as I am very intrested in your design. I feel your on a very good path to superb sonics. I believe i should try the compression driver route also. So If you can give full details it will help me out alot. Thanks J & G

ttan98

« Reply #3 on: 30 Jan 2008, 04:20 am »
Please refer to a separate thread under Another OB design for details.