Needing advice on upgrading my projector please...

Chops

Needing advice on upgrading my projector please...
« on: 29 Jan 2008, 05:41 am »
For the past 3 years or so, give or take a few months, I have been using an InFocus SP4800. It's been a great projector with a pretty decent picture, and still running on the original bulb, almost 3000 hours on it! It has never given me a single problem, but it's time for an upgrade.

As far as projectors are concerned, I have been out of the loop for a while. I haven't had a need to look at them for several years, so I'm not up to speed on the latest and greatest there is out there.

My room is 13x17x8, which means that the surface of the screen is right at 16' in front of the lens. The screen is 109" with a gain of 2 IIRC, but not 100% sure on the gain. The seating is right about 13' away from the screen.

Anyway, I'm wanting to upgrade to something that is:
1) a native 16.9 aspect ratio,
2) great contrast and lumen,
3) greater resolution than my current 600x800,
4) has an HDMI input as well as component,
5) is easy on bulbs and lasts around 3000 hours at least,
6) and is right at or below $1200. The lower the better.

Are DLP's still the better way to go to keep away from the "screen door" effect or are LCD's just as good now? Any "one" over the other? Are there any 1080 projectors out there that good for the price range I'm looking at?

I don't know if it has any bearing on the subject, but I plan on upgrading my current Panisonic DVD-S52 DVD player to the Oppo DV-981HD at the same time for obvious reasons.

Any help, info and guidance you can provide me will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance!

-Charles

Chops

Re: Needing advice on upgrading my projector please...
« Reply #1 on: 2 Feb 2008, 05:00 am »
Wow, this is a really helpful crowd here. Two totally different threads and not one single comment or anything on either one!

Now I know why I stopped coming here.  :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh:

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
« Reply #2 on: 2 Feb 2008, 05:36 am »
The best deals are always here: http://www.visualapex.com/

nicksgem10s

« Reply #3 on: 2 Feb 2008, 05:41 am »
avsforum is the place for detailed info on the pros and cons of all the latest projectors and displays.  www.avsforum.com

If you can you should read up on the Mitsubishi DLP projectors.  I have had the HC3000 for over a year and it has performed flawlessly and throws a pretty awesome image.  I have considered getting a new projector but then I watch a movie or sporting event and realize how good this Mits HC3000 really is.

If you really want to get into a 1080p projector I think the Mitsubishi HC4900 LCD projector is the first one at $1500 or maybe even a few dollars less after rebates.

The prices on the 1080p units will continue to fall and there should be several to choose from below $2000 if you can wait a couple months.

It sounds like Epson has a 1080p unit that is supposed to be really impressive and a good value but I believe it is a bit more than the Mitsubishi HC4900 I mentioned above.

The only choice close to your budget for the newest projectors is the HC4900.

If you don't require 1080p then I would recommend looking into the Panasonic PT-AX200U or Mitsubishi HC1500.

Hope this helps.  This is a great forum to be a part of.  Sometimes you just need to hang in there a little while longer.

Good luck on your search.

-Nick

ctviggen

« Reply #4 on: 2 Feb 2008, 12:31 pm »
Wow, this is a really helpful crowd here. Two totally different threads and not one single comment or anything on either one!

Now I know why I stopped coming here.  :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh:

This is much more of an audio crowd, not a video crowd.  Go to AVS forum if you want video (but don't pay attention to the audio portion of that forum). 

Philistine

« Reply #5 on: 2 Feb 2008, 03:25 pm »
FWIW 'The Perfect Vision' (Jan 2008) has the following ranking:

Best Bargain
Optima HD70

Best Mid-Price
Epson Power Lite 1080

Best All Round
JVC DLA-HD1

Best No Cost
Marantz VP-15S1
Sharp XV-Z20000
Vidikron Vision 70

Chops

« Reply #6 on: 2 Feb 2008, 03:50 pm »

This is much more of an audio crowd, not a video crowd.

Then they shouldn't have an audio/video section on here.  :roll:

Woodsea

« Reply #7 on: 9 Feb 2008, 07:55 pm »
Mitsubishi HC4900 LCD Projector 1080P $1399AR Free Shipping, Feb. 8 1 PM

Projector People has a Mitsubishi HC4900 LCD 1080P Projector for a very low $1399 after $100 off coupon and $500 manufacturer rebate. Free shipping. Tax in FL.
http://www.projectorpeople.com/projectors/projdtls.asp?itemid=23232&sid=PPG&srccode=cii_5784816&cpncode=11-48110653-2

Lamp life: 5000 hours on Eco model, 1000 lumens, 7500:1 contrast ratio, 3-LCD (with Micro Lens), HDMI/DVI/VGA/Component, Powered Focus & Zoom (Zoom Ratio 1.6:1), Throw Ratio 1.41-2.26

For $100 off, use Coupon Code: CUPID100 (Exp. Feb. 14th)

$500 rebate Exp 2/29/08 http://www.projectorpeople.com/SLIS/downloads/rebates/Mitsubishi/MITHC4900_500_022908.pdf

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 12 Feb 2008, 03:44 am »

Then they shouldn't have an audio/video section on here.  :roll:

I dunno, it waxes and wanes.  AC is much more audio focused, and there are really just a few of us hardcore video guys around here.  Bubba has been MIA due to some personal stuff and I've been pretty busy having returned to school full time while holding down full time work.  I don't have a lot of room nor time at the moment.

AVS forum is a great place to get your video stuff addressed.  I expect once tax refunds start pouring in there'll be more HT discussion here. :lol:

Chops

« Reply #9 on: 12 Feb 2008, 05:53 pm »

Then they shouldn't have an audio/video section on here.  :roll:

I dunno, it waxes and wanes.  AC is much more audio focused, and there are really just a few of us hardcore video guys around here.  Bubba has been MIA due to some personal stuff and I've been pretty busy having returned to school full time while holding down full time work.  I don't have a lot of room nor time at the moment.

AVS forum is a great place to get your video stuff addressed.  I expect once tax refunds start pouring in there'll be more HT discussion here. :lol:

Honestly, the AVS forum stinks. There's never any responses. Threads die as quickly as they are created. Home Theater Guide is a much better forum. Heck, even AC is a much better forum than AVS. At least you guys respond. LOL

Anyway, I should let you know that I have already made my purchases. I bought a Toshiba HD-A30 HD DVD player, a 25ft HDMI cable (nothing fancy), and an Epson HD720 projector. The Toshiba will be arriving today sometime (soon I hope). I already have a CAT5e cable run out to the stereo system, so updating the HD-A30 firmware will be the first thing done. Also, that CAT5e cable will always be connected so when there's any movie that needs it, or new firmware updates, everything will already be in place.  :thumb:

mcgsxr

« Reply #10 on: 12 Feb 2008, 06:09 pm »
Nice new kit, good for you!

Now, back to the speaker creations my friend!

Chops

« Reply #11 on: 13 Feb 2008, 05:33 am »
Well I am proud to say that I have the Toshiba HD-A30 up and running in my system. I got it in around 1pm or so, hooked it up, got the firmware upgrades done (all 39 of them), went through the setup, then sat back and watched some movies, parts of The Last Samurai, and all of Ocean's 13 and Bourne Ultimatum.

Just for poops-n-giggles, I thought I'd post a few screen shots of my new Tosh HD-A30 going through my old InFocus SP4800. Please keep in mind that the camera is NOT doing the actual images any justice. For some reason, it was having a difficult time focusing on the screen plus I had it in Program Mode and without it being mounted to my tripod so the images came out a bit underexposed and soft.

With straight-on images like the ones below, the HD imaging looks really, really good, eventhough they are being downconverted to 480p via the projector (the projector is receiving the full 1080i signal). The only time you can see the limitations of the low-res projector is the SCE on scenes of buildings from a distance, text on computer screens, papers, buildings, signs, etc, and of course durring the credits. Other than that, this old projector looks every bit as good and sharp as my brother's 46" 1080i LCD TV.

BTW, the shadow noise in the Ocean's 13 movie were barely noticable on my system, even in the shadows of Bernie Mac's orange dress coat. They stood out like a sore thumb on my brother's system, but almost non-existant on mine... Nuff Said! LOL

Anyway, here's the crappy, soft, underexposed images. I'm not really even sure why I'm posting them, but oh well. It's the thought that counts!  :B

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 14 Feb 2008, 10:50 am »
Looking good!  I'll probably be looking for a new HD PJ before long, too.  That's one I haven't checked out.

jonwb

« Reply #13 on: 15 Feb 2008, 07:14 pm »
I rec'd my Mits HC4900 last week.  While not fully setup yet, I have hooked it up in the dining room shooting at the wall.  Image size is about 80" and it looks huge.  Makin' me rethink my plan for a 106" screen :)  The image is very nice.  Colors and detail are fantastic.  I have not yet hooked it up to either of my HD sources (Cable box or my PS3), but just SD DVD's through the HDMI output from my laptop.

My daughter and I watched Ratatouille last night and its funny how seeing movies on a big "screen" like that really does create that theater experience.  Plus it helps you appreciate everything in the frame.  Even stuff that would otherwise be a speck in the background is viewable (just like in the theater).  Fun stuff...

WGH

« Reply #14 on: 15 Feb 2008, 08:06 pm »
While not fully setup yet, I have hooked it up in the dining room shooting at the wall.  Image size is about 80" and it looks huge.  Makin' me rethink my plan for a 106" screen :)

You can get the screen too big for your seating location, start with sitting back 1.5 - 2 times the screen width, you don't want to move your eyes back and forth to see the whole screen like you are sitting in the front row, which is cool when you are 10 years old, but not for everyday viewing.

There is good reading at Cinema Source

I used the article below to determine my screen size and height off the floor, viewing is very comfortable using the calculations.

Specifying a Projection Screen in Six Easy Steps

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #15 on: 15 Feb 2008, 08:13 pm »
Something a bit closer in tolerance:

Minimum THX recommended viewing cone:  36 degrees included angle field of vision. 

Bryan

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #16 on: 15 Feb 2008, 08:13 pm »
Chops, "Hometheatershack.com" is a good forum for video (and audio too).

My daughter and I watched Ratatouille last night ..........
Did you have the subs turned on? That old lady with the shotgun made my nipples hard. BAM BAM BAM. Sounded pretty good!  aa
My wife jump clear out of her seat.  :lol: :icon_twisted:

Bob

Chops

« Reply #17 on: 15 Feb 2008, 08:45 pm »
Chops, "Hometheatershack.com" is a good forum for video (and audio too).

I didn't like the HTS forum. Way too many rude and cocky people on there. I don't want anything to do with that site.

Did you have the subs turned on? That old lady with the shotgun made my nipples hard. BAM BAM BAM. Sounded pretty good!  aa
My wife jump clear out of her seat.  :lol: :icon_twisted:

Bob

Especailly the last shot in her house when the ceiling falls! That is an excellent movie, plus I can relate to it as I used to be a Lead in a Disney restaurant years ago.  :green:

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #18 on: 15 Feb 2008, 08:55 pm »
Chops, I've got a Sanyo PLV-Z2 that I think the sun rises and set on. It is fantastic. Granted it's waaay outdated, but when the time comes for a new PJ, I'll have to give Sanyo a good hard look considering the good service I've got from this unit.

I think it was mentioned here, but the definitive site for information regarding projectors has got to be (IMHO of course) is 'projectorcentral.com'. They've got a forum too.

Bob

samplesj

« Reply #19 on: 15 Feb 2008, 09:16 pm »
While not fully setup yet, I have hooked it up in the dining room shooting at the wall.  Image size is about 80" and it looks huge.  Makin' me rethink my plan for a 106" screen :)

You can get the screen too big for your seating location, start with sitting back 1.5 - 2 times the screen width, you don't want to move your eyes back and forth to see the whole screen like you are sitting in the front row, which is cool when you are 10 years old, but not for everyday viewing.

And what makes you think that you will be moving your eyes back and forth at <1.5x?

Just to help put it all in perspective the recommended THX angle that Bryan mentioned above is ~1.54x.

We sit about 1.2-1.3x and just love it.  I will admit that much closer and I'm unable to play games on the screen though.  It still doesn't make me look back and forth, it just makes me sick if I get a lot of panning in a game.

Its all in what you want.  You need to see it for yourself.  Any of us quoting "rules" is just silly because its your screen and you need to be happy with it.