• The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: SP 3.0?
« Reply #160 on: 14 Aug 2008, 02:09 pm »
Hi James...

So did you tried the prototype ?
How does it sound ?

Hi Moz,

No I have not been able to listen to it yet.  We are madly trying to get it assembled so we can show it at the CEDIA show next month and get feedback from our customers on the look and the options.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #161 on: 15 Aug 2008, 07:14 pm »
MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Bryston SP3 Prototype Surround Processor

August 15th, 2008

Please see below pictures of the new Bryston SP3 prototype surround processor that we will be displaying at the CEDIA Show in Denver next month.

Features:
Version 1 - one HDMI ‘IN’ --- one HDMI ‘OUT’
Version 2 - eight HDMI ‘IN’ --- two ‘OUT’ with audio Processing and Video Switching
Version 3 - eight HDMI ‘IN’ --- two ‘OUT’ with audio Processing and Video Processing

http://www.audiocircle.com/gallery/albums/userpics/11217/X3_Front_cropped.jpg

http://www.audiocircle.com/gallery/albums/userpics/11217/X3_back_cropped.jpg

Three rack-spaces, top rack-space reserved for OPTIONAL video board
Two pairs of Balanced inputs, Set of 7.1 Balanced out, Set of 7.1 single ended out
Six - Pairs Single ended Analog Inputs, 2 Pairs Balanced Inputs, 7.1 Single Ended Analog bypass
One Stereo Single Ended Analog Bypass, One Zone, VCR and Tape loop 1 set of each,
RS-232– 2 inputs, Ethernet – 1 input, IR - 1 Input, Mic – 1 Input, Headphone –1 Stereo Input, 12 volt Triggers (1-In - 3 Out)

Digital Inputs – 3- Optical, 4 Coax, 1- USB, Digital Out 1- Optical

If Optional Video Board Installed:
2- Composite Video In – 1 Video Out
2- S Video In – 1 Video Out
2 Component Video In – 1 Video Out
8 HDMI In – 2 HDMI Out
« Last Edit: 16 Aug 2008, 02:12 pm by James Tanner »

Burke

« Reply #162 on: 16 Aug 2008, 03:55 am »
Version 2 - eight HDMI ‘IN’ --- two ‘OUT’ with audio Processing and Video Switching
Version 3 - eight HDMI ‘IN’ --- two ‘OUT’ with audio Processing and Video Processing
What kind of "audio Processing" does that refer to for each of those two options?
Thanks,
Burke

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #163 on: 16 Aug 2008, 10:10 am »
What kind of "audio Processing" does that refer to for each of those two options?
Thanks,
Burke

Hi Burke,

All the new formats such as Dolby Plus HD and DTS HD Master etc.

james

gingellr

« Reply #164 on: 16 Aug 2008, 10:36 am »
Hi James,

The SP3 looks very nice.

A little confused on the physical size of it though.

You say its 3 rack spaces with top rack reserved for the video board, so does that mean if you go for version 2 it is only 2 rack spaces high?

Also what is a rack space in inches? what are the actual dimensions of the sp3 and are all versions the same size?

Are you planning to make it multi-voltage (as this would be much better) so it supports UK 240V or will you be making a seperate version for the uk?

Thanks

Richard

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #165 on: 16 Aug 2008, 11:21 am »
Hi James,

The SP3 looks very nice.

A little confused on the physical size of it though.

You say its 3 rack spaces with top rack reserved for the video board, so does that mean if you go for version 2 it is only 2 rack spaces high?

Also what is a rack space in inches? what are the actual dimensions of the sp3 and are all versions the same size?

Are you planning to make it multi-voltage (as this would be much better) so it supports UK 240V or will you be making a seperate version for the uk?

Thanks

Richard

Hi Richard,

A rack space is 1.75  inches so 3 rack spaces is 5.25 inches high.  No the top 1/3 of the rack space is reserved for the Video so all the chassis will be the same size and you can add video if you wish. The width will be 17 or 19 inches depending on the faceplate size and the depth will be about the same as the SP2.

It is not likely we will offer a universal power supply.  We design the supplies to be optimized with specific voltages. 100 V for Japan,  240 for England - 230 for Europe, 120 for US etc. Also it will have dual power supplies with a dedicated Analog and Digital supply similar to our CD Player and External DAC designs.

The main aspect about the SP3 I wanted to preserve is the exceptional audio quality that the SP2 and SP1.7 enjoy. This means fully discrete class A analog circuits throughout (no IC's) , suberb LINEAR power supply design (not switching supplies) etc. Not to be negative but when you look at some processor designs they really are designed more like a computer that passes audio rather than a multi-channel state of the art audio preamp.

james

mr_bill

« Reply #166 on: 16 Aug 2008, 03:25 pm »
Hi James...

So did you tried the prototype ?
How does it sound ?

Hi Moz,

No I have not been able to listen to it yet.  We are madly trying to get it assembled so we can show it at the CEDIA show next month and get feedback from our customers on the look and the options.

james

I, for one, think the look is excellent!

Tony1

« Reply #167 on: 16 Aug 2008, 05:12 pm »
James

You made the point that you wanted to preserve the audio quality like the SP1.7/2.  Is there any sacrifice in audio performance between option 1(audio only) and option 3(video processing and switching)? I remember from an old forum post that was the reason the SP1.7/2 didn't have video switching because of the sacrifice in audio performance.

Tony

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #168 on: 16 Aug 2008, 05:24 pm »
James

You made the point that you wanted to preserve the audio quality like the SP1.7/2.  Is there any sacrifice in audio performance between option 1(audio only) and option 3(video processing and switching)? I remember from an old forum post that was the reason the SP1.7/2 didn't have video switching because of the sacrifice in audio performance.

Tony

Hi Tony,

No switching is not an issue the way processing is and even if you go with processing we are looking long and hard at maintaining completely different circuit paths and power supply---no sharing allowed.

That being said I personally will purchase number two.

james

jethro

« Reply #169 on: 16 Aug 2008, 05:29 pm »
James:

Does version 3 have the ability to convert hi-res video from HDMI to standard-res video which can be output on component or S-video ?
This would allow me to replace my non-HDMI TV at a later time but take advantage of the hi-res audio.

--Steve

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #170 on: 16 Aug 2008, 05:31 pm »
James:

Does version 3 have the ability to convert hi-res video from HDMI to standard-res video which can be output on component or S-video ?
This would allow me to replace my non-HDMI TV at a later time but take advantage of the hi-res audio.

--Steve

Hi jethro,

I am going to have to check on that with engineering for you but I do know that any type of video input can be ouput on any other type.  So you can go from S or Composite and output to Component or HDMI Video for example.  Not sure if it can go the other way?

james

Tony1

« Reply #171 on: 16 Aug 2008, 06:14 pm »
James

In regards to the display does it turn off after a few seconds like SP1.7/2 or does it always stay on? Did the engineers look into the reliablity aspect of the display since it looks like a different from the previous one on the SP1.7/2? (My SP1.7 went out after 3 years of use, that's why I'm asking)

Tony

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #172 on: 16 Aug 2008, 06:27 pm »
James

In regards to the display does it turn off after a few seconds like SP1.7/2 or does it always stay on? Did the engineers look into the reliablity aspect of the display since it looks like a different from the previous one on the SP1.7/2? (My SP1.7 went out after 3 years of use, that's why I'm asking)

Tony

Hi Tony,

Yes the display is about twice as big and a very long lasting type. The 'dimming' or 'out' can be done in software.

james

RCeasar

« Reply #173 on: 16 Aug 2008, 06:55 pm »
Hi James, I have a question on the new SP 3.0...I am what some may call a power user, and I wonder if this processor will let me make changes on the fly?  As you know, not every DVD or CD sound the same, and I prefer to make adjustments on the fly accordingly.  Second, will I have the option of doing an on screen display since the 3.0 has video?

Thanks,
Randy

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #174 on: 16 Aug 2008, 07:11 pm »

james,

so the sp3's display colour (letters) is blue. Bryston always used to have green led and letters in their
 displays. if the new colour will be blue it wouldn't really match the former cosmetics...

al.

Gary Listen

• Listen Law Office
« Reply #175 on: 16 Aug 2008, 07:27 pm »
James,

I don't see an analog balance control.  Will there be a way to adjust balance when using the 2-channel analog bypass?

Gary

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #176 on: 16 Aug 2008, 09:41 pm »
Hi James, I have a question on the new SP 3.0...I am what some may call a power user, and I wonder if this processor will let me make changes on the fly?  As you know, not every DVD or CD sound the same, and I prefer to make adjustments on the fly accordingly.  Second, will I have the option of doing an on screen display since the 3.0 has video?

Thanks,
Randy

Hi Randy,

Not sure on the 'on the fly' thing.
Yes the video on board will allow for on-screen display.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #177 on: 16 Aug 2008, 09:43 pm »

james,

so the sp3's display colour (letters) is blue. Bryston always used to have green led and letters in their
 displays. if the new colour will be blue it wouldn't really match the former cosmetics...

al.

Hi Alex,

It's blue in the photo but it can be any colour we want.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #178 on: 16 Aug 2008, 09:44 pm »
James,

I don't see an analog balance control.  Will there be a way to adjust balance when using the 2-channel analog bypass?

Gary

Hi Gary,

We will probably do the stereo balance in software so you can just use the remote control.

james

Forester

« Reply #179 on: 17 Aug 2008, 02:42 pm »
Hello everybody!

I’m from Germany and this is my first post in this forum. I’m not an owner of Bryston stuff right now, but I had the chance to see/hear some of their amps (3B SST, 4B SST, 7B SST) in action and was always fascinated by the sound quality and the extreme-well-built design.

Now I’m very interested in the upcoming SP 3.0, which seem to fit exactly to my home theatre system as far as connections and features are concerned. I think it’s a very good idea to keep the video processing out of the unit for those who didn’t need or want it. Additionally I like the option of choosing from black/silver and 17” or 19” front plates. I’m thrilled by the idea of making this piece the new heart of my system. 

I’m also impressed by the fact, that one of the manufacturer’s guarantors (James Tanner) is using a platform like this to communicate with the customers. He seems to be responsive to their feedbacks and wishes and I don’t know many other companies that care about the customers in such an exemplary way. This is the reason why I decided to start posting here, because there are some thoughts/wishes that I want to share with Mr. Tanner and I-m interested in the other user’s opinions:

First point: Built-In DACs
A lot of high(er) end manufacturers have the claim to reach “high end audio quality” (I think Mr. Tanner stated this claim for the SP 3.0 somewhere in this thread, too) with their components. When you take a closer look to todays AV-Processors market (there are a lot of companies launching or announcing Pre/Pros with HDMI 1.3 inputs, high resolution audio decoding, balanced outputs, and so on…), there are or will be some products, for which only the price itself should/could be an indicator for the claim of “high end audio quality”.
I think some of the most important parts, if not THE most important, as far as audio quality is concerned, are the built-in DACs. But when you look at the mentioned “high end components” there are very few, if any, that contains the best/latest available DACs (for example Burr Browns PCM1792A). Normally, they use very good alternative DACs, but I think, “very good” is not enough for high end. For me it seems to be obvious, that a reason for using “very good DACs” instead of “high end DACs” is reducing the cost factor, because in a 7.1-processor you’ll need up to 8 DACs. When we look at the BB 1792A, the additional costs in comparison to the “common” DACs is about 10 $ per piece. So the extra cost in a 7.1-setup would be about 80 $. I think this should not be a cost problem/argument in a 5k+ piece of equipment. The implementation of those chips (I know, it works with cheaper DAcs, too) would allow you to built a full differential circuit and a truly balanced signal-path, which should be great for excellent, noise-free (see the second point below) audio quality. If this should really be a significant cost factor, I’m willing to spend a few hundred extra-$ for this accoutrement (8 x BB 1792A, full balanced design), which would be a unique selling proposition in the surround-processor market.

Second Point: Signal-to-Noise-Ratio
I have a 7.2-Setup with horn-loaded main-speakers. Those have high efficient horn-tweeters with a sensitivity of over 100 dB (@1 Watt, 1 metre). These speakers are very sensible (and so am I) in matters of any noise. So I prefer components that have a “dead quiet” noise floor. And this seems to be a weak point of surround-processors in general. The datasheets show us, that the typical S/N-Ratio is somewhere between 95 and 105 dB (with digital inputs). Reviews with according measurements document these figures (for example: Review of the Bryston SP2 from German AUDIOVISION 09/2006).
I know that there are more important factors than figures when we talk about sound quality, but in my special case, this spec is very important. To be honest, I have never heard the SP2 and never tested it in my system, so I can’t say if this one would cause any noise in my setup. But I tried some other pre/pros that were measured by AUDIOVISION with comparable (nad even a little better) results and they all caused low, but clearly noticeable noise.

To make it clear: those specs are not bad and in most applications it will produce superior sound quality. But again, “very good” is not “high-end” and with the best DACs (the BB 1792A is specified with a SNR of 127 dB!!!) and a consistent, well-engineered circuit I think it should be possible to reach a S/N-Ratio in the range of 115 to 120 dB??
Why are the manufacturers offering balanced outputs for “noise-free” interconnections when the unit itself is working with middle-rate (in comparison to what should be possible today) S/N-R? I think the reason for adding balanced connectors is a marketing action instead of an instrument for consistent noise reduction. I think in this case I’d better take a 1000 $ - AVR with pre-outs and use it as a pre/pro. Those reach easily the S/N-Ratios that are offered by the high-end surround processors.

I’d be very happy, if Bryston would make an exemption with new SP 3.0 and offer a considerable advancement in this certain feature.

Maybe this is too much wishful thinking, but we’re talking of “high end stuff”, which is built to make dreams come true  aa.

I’m curious about the opinions of the other users according to these points?

Best regards

Hubertus Stratmann

P.S.: I hope you’re able to understand what I wrote. It’s a lot of years ago that I had to write a text in English, so please forgive the faults.