• http://www.bryston.com
Re: SP 3.0?
« Reply #1460 on: 6 Jan 2012, 05:39 pm »
SORRY Scott :duh: :duh: :duh:

james

SHV

« Reply #1461 on: 7 Jan 2012, 04:12 pm »
This has probably been explained before but what are the SP3's sub-woofer/base management options in 2ch bypass mode.  In the menu tree, Sub on/off, in2Bypass and XTRABASS are the options; how are the latter two used in bypass mode?

Steve

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
« Reply #1462 on: 7 Jan 2012, 04:33 pm »
This has probably been explained before but what are the SP3's sub-woofer/base management options in 2ch bypass mode.  In the menu tree, Sub on/off, in2Bypass and XTRABASS are the options; how are the latter two used in bypass mode?

Steve

Hi Steve,

The sub can be engaged in 2 channel Analog bypass but it is just augmenting the fullrange sound from the Stereo Mains. We added it in case customers had small speakers and still wanted to use the subwoofer when listening in bypass mode.

The Extra Bass is just that - if the mains are playing full range and the input is muti channel normally the SUB is just an EFFECTS channel - so it only operates when there is an effect added in the soundtrack.  Extra Bass allows you to have the Sub operating in conjunction with the mains and extra bass is added to the sub even though there is no effects in the soundtrack.

These are just tweaks you can use but in most setups you will probably prefer to leave them off.

james

SHV

« Reply #1463 on: 7 Jan 2012, 05:19 pm »
Thanks for the reply...so if I wanted to "manage"/ extend base below the capability of the mains, would a 10B be needed in order to do it 'right"?

Steve

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1464 on: 7 Jan 2012, 05:36 pm »
Thanks for the reply...so if I wanted to "manage"/ extend base below the capability of the mains, would a 10B be needed in order to do it 'right"?

Steve

Hi Steve -depends on what you mean by 'manage'  - the advantage of the 10B is you can selected slopes and crossover points independently per channel whereas in a process you have to use whatever bass management gives you for slopes and crossover points.  The SP3 is very flexible with the choice of crossover points but the slopes are set.

james

SHV

« Reply #1465 on: 7 Jan 2012, 05:49 pm »
"The SP3 is very flexible with the choice of crossover points .."
I am probably going way out into the weeds (or counting angles on the head of a pin) but....are the crossover points selectable in 2ch analog?  For example, if my BDP-1/BDA-1 is sending a <40 hz signal to the SP3 in 2ch bypass, can I direct the <40 hz to my 18" Velodynes and the remainder of the spectrum to the 802s?

Steve

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1466 on: 7 Jan 2012, 05:54 pm »
"The SP3 is very flexible with the choice of crossover points .."
I am probably going way out into the weeds (or counting angles on the head of a pin) but....are the crossover points selectable in 2ch analog?  For example, if my BDP-1/BDA-1 is sending a <40 hz signal to the SP3 in 2ch bypass, can I direct the <40 hz to my 18" Velodynes and the remainder of the spectrum to the 802s?

Steve

Hi Steve

No in Analog you are not going through any digital circuitry so it is always a full range analog signal. With the bass option you are simply using the bass crossover in the digital circuit to add bass. The only way you can control the Sat and Sub at the 40hz is to use the digital crossover in Digital Stereo.

James

SHV

« Reply #1467 on: 7 Jan 2012, 05:59 pm »
Thanks...

Steve

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #1468 on: 8 Jan 2012, 01:02 pm »
Hi James, (it's Scott actually not Steve...if I a had a nickel for every time I was called Steve :wink: )

I still don't understand why you could not eliminate jitter, from a incoming signal with a properly sized buffer. The data stream is buffered and only when the buffer is X % filled do you play out the buffer and re-clock. Now I understand how new jitter could be introduced as signal is passed through the circuitry of the DAC etc. but once the data is buffered , the incoming jitter is essentially eliminated . Proper buffer size is important to avoid buffer under-runs and over-runs however.

With all that being said, I will add this to the already  huge list of things I don't understand .  :scratch:

Steve....ugh I mean Scott

I agree with this actually. The weird thing is that everyone thinks a-sync USB is the norm (which basically means just that, you buffer the incoming information from the USB and when it is all complete you clock it and send it out as jitter free as possible), but a-syncing other signals apparently is too bizarre for words.

I think it would be quite a (SA)CD player that reads its disk, sends the info to a buffer, make sure everything is correct, and only then sends its data on its way to where ever it needs to go. Why should the laser be directly connected to the DAC? Does not make sense to me. It's like having to hold a 50 minute speach without ANY error without ANY preparation whatsoever...

adprom

« Reply #1469 on: 10 Jan 2012, 01:39 am »
Hi Steve,

I got a further clarification on this so the better way to express it is you can 'attenuate' jitter coming in but you can not 'eliminate' it. So the more jitter you have coming in the more you have coming out the other end after attenuation. That's why less jitter in still matters.

james

James, the word attenuate implies that buffering is an analogue process... i.e. it is removed by x% or x db. However buffering is a purely discrete process. If the jitter of the input signal exceeds the jitter tolerance of the buffer then in theory some jitter would remain - however a modern dac is very tolerant of this. It would be amazingly rare that the jitter would exceed this tolerance unless the source was faulty (and jitter on any decent device is usually in sub nanosecond range).

The only reason I point this out James (understanding that you are the messenger here) is because it seems to directly contradict current graduate level electrical engineering theory.... In a phase locked loop, which is then buffered, the jitter will only be an issue if a sample is offset from its time position so much that it is attributed to a different time slot, or is treated as 2 samples.

Of course, if I was the suspicious type, I could suggest the audio industry wouldn't want to admit this due to the implications it would have for the market of transports... Which is understandable as most modern streaming devices (logitech squeezebox for example - measured at 50ps) by nature, have extremely low jitter since they have a far more stable source.

If possible, could you please ask the engineers what they mean by 'attenuating jitter' as part of the digital buffering process?

P.S. I found another good conceptual resource on multi stage jitter reduction at http://www.anedio.com/index.php/article/multi_stage_jitter_reduction - essentially what it says at the end, by using a proper buffer the only jitter after the buffering, is the jitter inherent, or introduced by the clock in the DAC itself. i.e. in a nutshell Stage 1: Filter out unwanted noise to make sampling easier. Stage 2: Sample that filtered signal Stage Stage 3: From that buffer, reproduce the signal aligned to the new clock (retimed). The remaining jitter should purely revolve around the DAC clock and the jitter in the output buffer - independent of the input buffer.

At stage 2, it either got the samples right or it didn't... After that, any jitter present is what is created by the DAC. If it got the sampling wrong at stage 2, then one of the samples will be offset by one, or completely duplicated (in theory the other case is that it could have been entirely missed). Now implementations of a DAC will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, but there is only so many ways you can buffer an output and the basics from above will remain.

Back to the original question, my understanding is that the jitter with HDMI is so high and so variable that it can be nearly impossible to design DACs tolerant enough to handle it well. Not that it can't be done, but doing so requires significantly more R+D

adprom

« Reply #1470 on: 10 Jan 2012, 02:12 am »
Hi Steve

No in Analog you are not going through any digital circuitry so it is always a full range analog signal. With the bass option you are simply using the bass crossover in the digital circuit to add bass. The only way you can control the Sat and Sub at the 40hz is to use the digital crossover in Digital Stereo.

James

Thanks for that bit of information... We were wondering about this the other day. I guessed the the L+R were untouched in bypass regardless of the sub. The guess was that the L+R signal in this mode was passed to the digital crossover to reproduce the sub - I wouldn't have thought the SP3 would have any analogue crossovers at all, would it? The analogue side of the SP3 from how it was described is that it virtually a couple of BP26s (or at least exactly the same technology) for the analogue stages and the 2/6 channel bypass modes. When the digital circuitry is activated, their outputs feed the analogue circuitry to produce the output. Essentially keeping the digital circuitry entirely separate. Is this correct?

SHV

« Reply #1471 on: 10 Jan 2012, 02:55 am »
"Essentially keeping the digital circuitry entirely separate. Is this correct?.."
That is my understanding after reading James' answer.  I guess if I want to have a "pure" analog with bass management, it would involve a 10B Sub crossover.  I am not sure with that set up driving 802s and Velodynes analog, how I would switch the subs for use in multi-channel digital

Steve

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1472 on: 10 Jan 2012, 06:14 am »
Hi Guys,

This is great info - I am in Vegas but I will try and get some answers for you when I get back.

Yes as far as I have been told that HDMI sends the Video in packets and behind each packet they stick some audio - so at the other end the long distances between the video packets creates some serious audio jitter in comparison to a constant digital bitstream like in SPDIF?

james

adprom

« Reply #1473 on: 10 Jan 2012, 06:42 am »
That is my understanding after reading James' answer.  I guess if I want to have a "pure" analog with bass management, it would involve a 10B Sub crossover.  I am not sure with that set up driving 802s and Velodynes analog, how I would switch the subs for use in multi-channel digital

TBH I probably wouldn't even bother - if you want a sub for analogue the digital crossover is likely to be entirely fine. Unless you specifically want to use the velodyne internal crossover. A sub is an added feature to 2 channel anyway, so it isn't like you are messing up with the signal path applying a digital crossover.

adprom

« Reply #1474 on: 11 Jan 2012, 11:58 am »
P.S. I found another good conceptual resource on multi stage jitter reduction at http://www.anedio.com/index.php/article/multi_stage_jitter_reduction - essentially what it says at the end, by using a proper buffer the only jitter after the buffering, is the jitter inherent, or introduced by the clock in the DAC itself. i.e. in a nutshell Stage 1: Filter out unwanted noise to make sampling easier. Stage 2: Sample that filtered signal Stage Stage 3: From that buffer, reproduce the signal aligned to the new clock (retimed). The remaining jitter should purely revolve around the DAC clock and the jitter in the output buffer - independent of the input buffer.

At stage 2, it either got the samples right or it didn't... After that, any jitter present is what is created by the DAC. If it got the sampling wrong at stage 2, then one of the samples will be offset by one, or completely duplicated (in theory the other case is that it could have been entirely missed). Now implementations of a DAC will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, but there is only so many ways you can buffer an output and the basics from above will remain.

Back to the original question, my understanding is that the jitter with HDMI is so high and so variable that it can be nearly impossible to design DACs tolerant enough to handle it well. Not that it can't be done, but doing so requires significantly more R+D

There is one bit on this I neglected where the input jitter could logically affect the signal whenever it is buffered... This is when you upsample at the input. So for example, if you upsample 44.1KHz to 176.4 you are taking 4 samples for every cycle of the input clock. So here the jitter could for example affect which upsampled bit registers... i.e. say you have a 101 sequence. Ideally if upsampling that way, it should be 1111 0000 1111. But jitter could mean that it gets read as 1111 1000 1111 where the jitter affects the 5th sample... I wonder if that is really an argument against upsampling...

Alpha10

« Reply #1475 on: 11 Jan 2012, 11:58 am »
Hi James,

Could you provide more explanation on the DRC management of the SP3.  It is not described in the manual.

Please explain the following:
-DRC Auto (THD, DTSHD)
-Dyn Range Full Off
-Dyn Range Medium
-Dyn Range Low
-Vol (Low/Medium/High) (Half/Full mode)
    Vol Offs  +- db  (what does Offs mean)
    Vol Mid/Side   on or off

Thanks a lot

Hi where in the menu tree are you seeing these options? I could not find them.

Cheers

SHV

« Reply #1476 on: 11 Jan 2012, 04:22 pm »
"read as 1111 1000 1111 where the jitter affects the 5th sample... I wonder if that is really an argument against upsampling..."
I usually play back at native resolution but I have used the upsampling on the BDA-1.  On occasion, when upsampling, I will hear a short sections of music that is just "wrong"; it isn't subtle.  I have never heard a similar effect with the upsampling turned off.

Steve

Alpha10

« Reply #1477 on: 16 Jan 2012, 01:04 pm »
Just a quick update and hopefully useful info:

I managed to programme my Harmony remote with all the BR3 codes lastnight (based on an SP2 in the database and then re-learnt the commands) and that ran fine. SO, I then tried my Harmony RF extender, plugged in a 3.5mm cable I had in a draw and hey presto works a treat with the SP3, brilliant news now the SP3 runs great behind my projector screen.

:thumb:

blackhawks6

« Reply #1478 on: 19 Jan 2012, 01:17 pm »
Since few people have had a chance to hear the SP3 I have a few questions I am hoping I can get some educated guesses on and perhaps a response from somebody that has experienced the unit:

Currently own an NAD M15 HD...what kind of increased performance can I expect in 2 channel audio from the SP3?
(I am a 75% 2 channel guy)

Video performance?

Comment:NAD seems to introduce to market units that have overlapping performance features which not only confuse buyers with too many options and price points but also do not help a reseller when you reach the stage in the ownership lifecycle I am at with a very well kept pre/pro (granted these things seem to lose value fairly fast and  i assume its due to the nature of innovation in video). NAD M15 always sounded slightly harsh in every format but vinyl

System: 2 Bryston 6B SST's
B&W 803S Nautilus fronts and B&W HTM2 center and B&W CM5 rears

Pioneer Elite DP9J CD player

mac mini dedicated server with Peachtree DAC IT (one of the few disappointed in W4S DAC2)

Rega P3 TT with Rotel phono stage

(**my listening room sucks)

thank you.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1479 on: 22 Jan 2012, 09:34 pm »