There Will Be Blood...

amadeus916

• Aperion Audio
There Will Be Blood...
« on: 28 Jan 2008, 09:58 pm »
No thread yet? Am I to assume that nobody has seen this gem yet? Great movie...rather long, but it had some glorious moments. I recommend it for certain...

Whitese

Re: There Will Be Blood...
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jan 2008, 10:03 pm »
Daniel D. Lewis is an awesome actor......I am so happy that there is a cadre of actors that really do consistently great work...

like DD Lewis, Christopher Bale, Russell Crowe, and  others whose name aint coming to me...lol

steve k

« Reply #2 on: 28 Jan 2008, 10:11 pm »
I heard the soundtrack by Jonny Greenwood is awesome too. What did you think?

albee

« Reply #3 on: 29 Jan 2008, 02:38 am »
I gotta dissent on this one.  I was bored to death and couldn't wait for it to be over.  DDL's performance was nothing special.  He seems to specialize in projecting 'intensity'.  I've had bosses who could scare you to death--big deal.

amadeus916

• Aperion Audio
« Reply #4 on: 1 Feb 2008, 04:51 pm »
I heard the soundtrack by Jonny Greenwood is awesome too. What did you think?

I thought the soundtrack was pretty epic, but I am a big Greenwood fan. Some of the music didn't seem to match scenes of the movie a bit, but on a whole it was a great soundtrack. Definitely different then any other soundtrack I've seen. Speaking of Greenwood soundtracks, anybody ever seen Body Song? One of the most amazing movies I have ever seen...Just stunning music and cinematography...

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
« Reply #5 on: 7 Feb 2008, 03:12 am »
I thought it was pretty good...although I would have liked to see the part of the preacher played by an actor that could match DDL's intensity. Casting him as a wimp just ruined what could have been a great dynamic between the two...

The music worked well, I thought.

Toka

« Reply #6 on: 7 Feb 2008, 03:19 am »
I hope to finally catch this on my next day off..."real life" stuff keeps getting in the way. Its playing at my favorite local theater, which serves beer...might have to hold off on that this time, as I hear its a long flick. :)

Toka

« Reply #7 on: 9 Feb 2008, 03:43 am »
Saw it today...the IPA before the flick was great, the movie itself was "good" but not fantastic (a problem I have with all of Anderson's films...technically brilliant but the "point" gets lost while we revel in the profundity of it all). Biggest bummer was the parking ticket I got for putting money in the wrong meter...an unfortunate, yet oddly apt parallel to my experience. A unique film but not nearly the best I've seen recently (No Country For Old Men gets that honor). Great soundtrack, great cinematography, great acting, didn't all add up completely, alas. 

Ears

« Reply #8 on: 11 Feb 2008, 12:14 am »
I thoUght the acting was good but the movie dragged out at times and was quite depressing IMO.

launche

• ...on being an audiophile...no.
« Reply #9 on: 11 Feb 2008, 02:08 am »
I thoUght the acting was good but the movie dragged out at times and was quite depressing IMO.

This is consistently what I'm hearing, I hear DDL gives another masterful performance worn thin by a film being maybe 20-30mins too long. 

launche

• ...on being an audiophile...no.
« Reply #10 on: 19 May 2008, 06:26 pm »
Rented it this weekend and I enjoyed it.  I didn't think it was too long (though given the story I can see how some might.)  Also, I thought and have seen the film clocking in at 2 hrs and 38 minutes but I thought my Netflix rental copy said 2hrs and 7 minutes.  So, was there some editing done for the DVD release?  DDL played his character extremely well, I was drawn in.  The speech, mannerisms etc... just plaining well acted and not over the took, you see a real man of his own reason, as dark and as hard as the nature of his work. Masterful. 

The film was good but not great, maybe the sytle and the subject matter don't allow for full connection. The character study dominates the film but given the stark and/or guarded nature of the character, though complex, I felt or gained no further understanding of him by the films end except he is a S.O.B. through and through, and his manner runs as deep and the oil he covets. Still trying to wrap my mind around it, top tier in many ways, especially when one zero's in on the art of movie making.

The first pitch by DDL sets the scene and is the crust for me.  I kept craving more of that but it doesn't come in bunches.  The film does have a haunting and plainspeak intoxication, aided by the dark and grave soundtrack.  You want from it sometimes something that it's not appropriate to give and stay true to itself...thus you must relent to the film (as you should always do when needed.)

Highly recommeded, it will stand out in relief among most other films today.  I should have seen this in the theater.