bcd-1 problem

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
bcd-1 problem
« on: 27 Jan 2008, 01:30 pm »
hi, james!

the bcd's drawer doesn't slide back all of a sudden after a listening session. the display shows error. i already turned the system off and on to see if it resets itself...but nothing happened.

in case of service: how am i supposed to send it in original package if the drawer is still in ''open'' position?

should it be pushed back by hand?

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: bcd-1 problem
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jan 2008, 02:06 pm »
Hi Al,

Yes push it back by hand.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #2 on: 28 Jan 2008, 03:50 pm »
hi, james!

the bcd's drawer doesn't slide back all of a sudden after a listening session. the display shows error. i already turned the system off and on to see if it resets itself...but nothing happened.

in case of service: how am i supposed to send it in original package if the drawer is still in ''open'' position?

should it be pushed back by hand?

al.

Hi Al,

Try removing the power from the BCD1 to reset the unit, as opposed to just putting it in standby and turning it back on.
Sometimes a bad disc can cause showing error on the display.

james

alexone

« Reply #3 on: 28 Jan 2008, 11:42 pm »
james,

the player just returned back to normal function after more than 24 hours. all the time the drawer was in open position. i removed the

power cable twice- nothing happened. i just tried it again a few hours later and it worked.

thanx for your advice,

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #4 on: 29 Jan 2008, 05:36 pm »
james,

the player just returned back to normal function after more than 24 hours. all the time the drawer was in open position. i removed the

power cable twice- nothing happened. i just tried it again a few hours later and it worked.

thanx for your advice,

al.

Hi Alex,

Maybe voltage fluctuations on your power source?

james

alexone

« Reply #5 on: 29 Jan 2008, 07:48 pm »
james,

i just don't know. how can i check voltage fluctuations?

al.

alexone

« Reply #6 on: 29 Jan 2008, 07:53 pm »

...and more important if yes:

how can i get rid of it ???? :o

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #7 on: 29 Jan 2008, 08:37 pm »

...and more important if yes:

how can i get rid of it ???? :o

al.

Some kind of power line conditioner.
Usually it is not just powerlne fluctuations but also 'spikes' and 'noise' on the line.

james

Phil A

« Reply #8 on: 30 Jan 2008, 04:33 pm »
There is a lot of noise that can be generated by the power lines.  While they won't help with spikes, there are devices that are not horribly expensive that can help with noise like Audio Prism Quiet Line Filters or PS Audio Noise Harvesters.  When I went on vacation last July I had my friend get my mail as I was awaiting a package with a couple of Quiet Line Filters and Noise Harvesters and an imported SACD.  I told him to open the package and feel free to play with the stuff.  He plugged in the Noise Harvesters and when I came home and picked the stuff up we unplugged them and it made enough of a difference in his system that you could hear.

alexone

« Reply #9 on: 30 Jan 2008, 06:32 pm »
There is a lot of noise that can be generated by the power lines.  While they won't help with spikes, there are devices that are not horribly expensive that can help with noise like Audio Prism Quiet Line Filters or PS Audio Noise Harvesters.  When I went on vacation last July I had my friend get my mail as I was awaiting a package with a couple of Quiet Line Filters and Noise Harvesters and an imported SACD.  I told him to open the package and feel free to play with the stuff.  He plugged in the Noise Harvesters and when I came home and picked the stuff up we unplugged them and it made enough of a difference in his system that you could hear.

Phil,

what was the main reason for you to get power lines? was it only to improve sound or did you have any disfunctions in your system?

and: what power line do you prefer?

thanx,

al.

Phil A

« Reply #10 on: 30 Jan 2008, 07:02 pm »
Al, I already had Power Conditioners in the main system.  I have a couple of Richard Gray units for a while and also a Vansevers reference unit as well.  I also have a PS Audio Ultimate Outlet for the projector.  When I auditioned the BCD-1 (before buying it) I played with the Torus unit in the store.  I've never seen conditioners that generally do anything positive for amplifers.  The 1st audition was using just Ayre electronics.  After listening to a a few players, I narrowed it to the Bryston and one other and came back later for a second audition (with my own home made power cords and cables to better one-to-one analysis and also with components and speakers I was a bit more familiar with).  At the 1st audition, I unplugged the Ayre mono blocks from the Torus and was shocked that I noticed a difference.  Everything was more relaxed and there was a different timing to the music.  Almost like going from a good CD to a good SACD of the same recording.  At this time, I was not ready to go thru the expense of a new power conditioner (I just had my 14BSST upgraded with the Swedish magazine review mods and decided to sell my Thiel 7.2s and go with the Thiel 3.7s) and I'm also waiting to see what happens to the Bryston processor with HDMI and the projector market.  So a power conditioner change was not in the works at least for the present.  So I decided to try some less expensive tweaks to use with mine.  I now have a bunch of both of what I noted in my previous post (both Audio Prism and PS Audio products - I believe the PS audio works a bit better but they are more expensive).  They seems to work in conjunction with my current power conditioners to remove noise from my electrical lines and give me most of the sonic improvement, if not all, of what I heard with the Torus, with the exception being my amps are still plugged into the wall.   So I'd guess if at some point I went with a Torus, I might hear a bit of additional improvement.  It was just a question of using what I have now and working with my funds at this point.

alexone

« Reply #11 on: 30 Jan 2008, 08:05 pm »
Al, I already had Power Conditioners in the main system.  I have a couple of Richard Gray units for a while and also a Vansevers reference unit as well.  I also have a PS Audio Ultimate Outlet for the projector.  When I auditioned the BCD-1 (before buying it) I played with the Torus unit in the store.  I've never seen conditioners that generally do anything positive for amplifers.  The 1st audition was using just Ayre electronics.  After listening to a a few players, I narrowed it to the Bryston and one other and came back later for a second audition (with my own home made power cords and cables to better one-to-one analysis and also with components and speakers I was a bit more familiar with).  At the 1st audition, I unplugged the Ayre mono blocks from the Torus and was shocked that I noticed a difference.  Everything was more relaxed and there was a different timing to the music.  Almost like going from a good CD to a good SACD of the same recording.  At this time, I was not ready to go thru the expense of a new power conditioner (I just had my 14BSST upgraded with the Swedish magazine review mods and decided to sell my Thiel 7.2s and go with the Thiel 3.7s) and I'm also waiting to see what happens to the Bryston processor with HDMI and the projector market.  So a power conditioner change was not in the works at least for the present.  So I decided to try some less expensive tweaks to use with mine.  I now have a bunch of both of what I noted in my previous post (both Audio Prism and PS Audio products - I believe the PS audio works a bit better but they are more expensive).  They seems to work in conjunction with my current power conditioners to remove noise from my electrical lines and give me most of the sonic improvement, if not all, of what I heard with the Torus, with the exception being my amps are still plugged into the wall.   So I'd guess if at some point I went with a Torus, I might hear a bit of additional improvement.  It was just a question of using what I have now and working with my funds at this point.

phil,

thanx for your point of view.

al.