Opinion on Lens for Canon 20D....

Sonny

Opinion on Lens for Canon 20D....
« on: 22 Jan 2008, 11:17 pm »
Hi there, I am looking for a decent lens for my canon 20d.  I have three lens currently, the stock one that came with the Rebel SLR 35 mm, a 70-300 lens and a Sigma wide angle lens.

I am looking for a durable lens, something like the Nikon 28-200 lens...I don't think Canon makes one comparable, do they? 

Also, needs to have IS feature.

Thanks in advance....

IronLion

Re: Opinion on Lens for Canon 20D....
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jan 2008, 02:32 am »
If you can live without the 28mm end (there is really no such thing as a high quality lens that goes from a real wide to a real telephoto and maintains sharpness throughout), I would suggest the Canon 70-200 F4.  Not the fastest piece of glass but definitely not slow, it has a constant aperture, and the quality of the images it produces is basically identical to the more expensive 70-200 2.8 IS, ie, it has some great glass in there.  I have one and it is a great lens. 

If you can't live without the wide capability, I would suggest one of Canon's EFS lenses like the 17-85.  I've always gone for L lenses myself but now that I shoot video instead of photography I've realized that the EFS lenses are probably great for a variety of reasons.  It won't have the exact range you're looking for but will be usable for more circumstances than the 70-200 I mentioned earlier, trust me, with that 1.6x crop with the sensor you have to be a ways back from your subject.  In any case, I see a lot of pros in the field with me using them for what its worth and they seem to produce good images without breaking the bank, and they have that IS you're looking for too.     

Sonny

« Reply #2 on: 23 Jan 2008, 05:05 am »
Thanks...
You are right, it's hard to find a quality "good" lens that has that much flexibility...
The only reason I want that is to have the convenience of just carrying that lens....
Thanks...I'll look into it...
T

navi

« Reply #3 on: 23 Jan 2008, 12:59 pm »
Stay away from Sigma lenses.......

try the L series 24-105 f4 with IS - it's pretty good for a zoom
70-200 f2.8 IS expensive and is canons best  zoom lense.

if you want quality- stick to the fix lenses-  I recommend 85mm 1.8 - sharp, excellent contrast and neutral. I own the 70-200 i never use it any more because I find it soft with a yellowish colour cast and very flat colours compared to my 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8 and 100mm macro. When I use the fix lenses I never have to sharpen the images.

Ivan

Photon46

« Reply #4 on: 23 Jan 2008, 03:56 pm »
Yeah Sonny, I agree with you about the convenience of zooms. Another mighty big factor for me is the endless hassle of dust contaminating my Canon EOS Ds mkII sensor. I  really like using my EF 24-70 f2.8 zoom as my primary lens because it reduces my need to open up the body. It takes me way too long to clean the sensor every time it gets gunked up with dust particles. While the zoom might not be quite as sharp as a prime lens, the convenience more than makes up for the need to do a little Photoshop touchup.

IronLion

« Reply #5 on: 23 Jan 2008, 04:36 pm »
Good suggestion on the 24-70 Photon, it is a great lens though I think that given that Sonny's looking for a "decent" lens and his previous lenses, I don't think his budget may be large enough for that one.  I'm glad I am basically out of photography now- there's no way in hell I could afford camera gear along with my stereo gear...

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #6 on: 23 Jan 2008, 04:40 pm »
For a hobbyist I think 24-70 f2.8L is a great indoor lens.  That's what I use to keep track of my daughter as she grows up.  70-200 f2.8L for the outdoor stuff.  :thumb:

Photon46

« Reply #7 on: 23 Jan 2008, 05:15 pm »
The 20d's sensor isn't full frame, so the EF 24-70 f2.8 isn't a good option. But the 17-55 F2.8 IS USM is a good one that duplicates that range for the smaller CMOS sensors in the 20/30d. It's a bit spendy @ 1k, but if there's any way to stretch the budget, that's one I'd be looking at for the 20d. It's unfortunate that good lenses have to cost so much isn't it?

SET Man

« Reply #8 on: 23 Jan 2008, 07:09 pm »
Hi there, I am looking for a decent lens for my canon 20d.  I have three lens currently, the stock one that came with the Rebel SLR 35 mm, a 70-300 lens and a Sigma wide angle lens.

I am looking for a durable lens, something like the Nikon 28-200 lens...I don't think Canon makes one comparable, do they? 

Also, needs to have IS feature.

Thanks in advance....

Hey!

I assumed that you are looking for Digital only lens right?

If so... I don't know if Canon have all-in one zoom like 18-200mm Nikon and others. But most of the time these all-in one super zoom usually not as good as shorter zoom. :D But if you must have one there is one with image stabilizer, the Sigma 18-200 3.5-5.6

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/485226-REG/Sigma_888_101_18_200mm_f_3_5_6_3_DC_OS.html

I don't know the performance of this Sigma.

But if you don't mind carry two zooms, in turn you will likely have a better quality than the all-in one zoom than maybe this one will do....

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/351548-USA/Canon_9517A002_EF_S_17_85mm_f_4_5_6_IS.html

If you could live with f5.6 than this look like a very useful range and it does have IS too. :D I don't know how good is this zoom. But I have a friend who use Canon maybe I could ask him if he know anything about this zoom :D Of course if you need faster one than there is a shorter range with f2.8 that some have mentioned before :wink:

Well, good luck :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb: