Living Colour News

Bwanagreg

Living Colour News
« on: 30 Sep 2003, 02:46 pm »
Living Colour has re-formed and is releasing an album on Oct 7. This was absolutely one of the best (IMHO  :rock: ) hard rock bands of all time, and their live shows were unbelievable.

Speaking of which...

They are doing a limited US tour with King Crimson! This will be an amazing show. I bought tickets last night for the Park West show Nov 8 - search for Living Colour on Ticketmaster.com and the KC/Living Colour gigs come up.

More info:
http://www.livingcolour.blogspot.com

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Living Colour News
« Reply #1 on: 30 Sep 2003, 04:26 pm »
THANKS for the heads up on LC . Vernon Reid is a excellent guitarist !!! Glad to see them back !!!!!!!  :D

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Living Colour News
« Reply #2 on: 2 Oct 2003, 03:16 am »
That is good news.  BTW, I just ordered the newly reissued & remastered "Vivid" from Amazon.  The review I read a few months back in TAS said the new remaster is a bit of an improvement over the old disc (which I didn't think sounded all that good, tho I liked the music).

I'm curious to see how the intervening years have changed their musical style.  Hopefully they won't have gone hiphop...

Bwanagreg

Living Colour News
« Reply #3 on: 2 Oct 2003, 08:51 pm »
I'm curious to see how the intervening years have changed their musical style. Hopefully they won't have gone hiphop...

:lol:

Here are some clips from the new album.
http://www.melodicrock.com/minibytes.html

This is going to be a great show.

lonewolfny42

Living Colour News
« Reply #4 on: 3 Oct 2003, 05:13 am »
Living Color , FREE concert. Tuesday , Oct. 14 th at 5 PM at City Hall Park, downtown NYC.   J and R is the sponsor of the show, promo for new cd. (Read this in their newspaper ad today).  :D

lonewolfny42

Living Colour News
« Reply #5 on: 10 Oct 2003, 06:22 pm »
Quote from: lonewolfny42
Living Color , FREE concert. Tuesday , Oct. 14 th at 5 PM at City Hall Park, downtown NYC.   J and R is the sponsor of the show, promo for new cd. (Read this in their newspaper ad today).  :D
Just an update - new time 4:30  pm plus Garland Jeffreys (Wild in the Streets) added to the free show !!  :D

Greg Marberry

• http://www.av123.com
Living Colour News
« Reply #6 on: 13 Oct 2003, 06:08 pm »
I Heard the new album.  I liked it a lot.  They covered Back in Black very nicely.  I recommend everyone interested have a listen.

Rob, I'm not sure why you were concerned that Living Colour would have gone hip hop.  They are one of the best hard rock bands to come out in the last twenty years with one of the most amazing guitar players perhaps ever.  Vernon Reid is technically phenomenal as well as widely vestal.  He has worked with many different artists through the years ranging from abstract jazz to modern club to hip hop to metal.  Aside from that, Living Colour or Corey Glover have never really done hip hop.  It's always been rock and he is a rock singer.

Enjoy the tunes!

Bwanagreg

Living Colour News
« Reply #7 on: 13 Oct 2003, 06:45 pm »
I picked up the new album, and can vouch for the fact that they have NOT gone Hip Hop  :lol:

This is still a great band. They continue to do some interesting electronic experimentation, but mostly the new album is great hard rock.

Sa-dono

Living Colour News
« Reply #8 on: 14 Oct 2003, 12:04 am »
Quote from: Greg Marberry
Aside from that, Living Colour or Corey Glover have never really done hip hop. It's always been rock and he is a rock singer.

First off, I'm glad to hear the new album is good. I'll have to check it out. Second, I have to correct the above statement. Living Colour & Run DMC did do a collaboration for the Judgment Night soundtrack, which was a mix of hip-hop and rock. But yes, I know Living Colour would never actually go hip-hop.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Living Colour News
« Reply #9 on: 14 Oct 2003, 07:32 am »
No specific reason, Greg, except that many of my favorites hard rock bands from that time that are still around have flirted w/hip hop sounds(eg. some of Def Leppard & Queensryche songs, mostly just when done live in the case of the latter), and some of LC's old stuff sounded like they were at least thinking about it...

That and going hip hop is the path of least resistance.  You could pretty much fart over a rap beat and it'd sell a million before anyone noticed it sucked.  I respect that some guys here like that (Tyson is a fan of M&M, I know- I've agreed to disagree on that one :? ), but it just doesn't do a thing for me.

Greg Marberry

Living Colour News
« Reply #10 on: 14 Oct 2003, 04:20 pm »
Quote from: Sa-dono
Quote from: Greg Marberry
Aside from that, Living Colour or Corey Glover have never really done hip hop. It's always been rock and he is a rock singer.

First off, I'm glad to hear the new album is good. I'll have to check it out. Second, I have to correct the above statement. Living Colour & Run DMC did do a collaboration for the Judgment Night soundtrack, which was a mix of hip-hop and rock. But yes, I know Living Colour would never actually go hip-hop.

Thue enough, Sa-Dono.

Public Enemy was a guest on Living Colour's first album but it was more of a situation where they were crossing over to rock not so much adding hip hop to Living Colour.  Actually, if you listen to a lot of Public Enemy's stuff, you realize where they came from and it is the same place as Rock...  The Blues.

Greg Marberry

Living Colour News
« Reply #11 on: 14 Oct 2003, 04:44 pm »
Quote from: Rob Babcock
No specific reason, Greg, except that many of my favorites hard rock bands from that time that are still around have flirted w/hip hop sounds(eg. some of Def Leppard & Queensryche songs, mostly just when done live in the case of the latter), and some of LC's old stuff sounded like they were at least thinking about it...

That and going hip hop is the path of least resistance.  You could pretty much fart over a rap beat and it'd sell a million before anyone noticed it sucked.  I respect that some guys here ...

That's cool, Rob.  I understand where you were coming from.  I think your statement about selling millions of records is more a function of the current state of pop music rather than the current state of hip hop.  There is a whole lot to rap and hip hop beyond what you will ever hear on commercial radio.  I'm sure that you could find something out there that you like, Rob :D

lonewolfny42

Living Colour News
« Reply #12 on: 15 Oct 2003, 03:27 pm »
Just a follow up on their free concert in City Hall Park , NYC yesterday ( hope others got to see them ) - LC put on a great 45 min. show playing old and new stuff. Ain't no Hip-Hop here, straight Hard Rock. New songs sound very good, standouts: Flying, Sacred Ground.They were very tight !! They said the events of 9/11 had influenced the songs on the new cd (they are a NY group). After the show, they were signing copies of their new cd at J and R music. Garland Jefferys opened show with an acoustic 35 min. show , very good.Here is a link for their website, on tour now, catch them if you can. Compared to some of the new groups today, LC sounded better than ever ! !   :dance:   Enjoy ! http://www.livingcolournet.com/