Preamp/Amplifier for SongTower QWT/Center/Surrounds

NYSportz

Preamp/Amplifier for SongTower QWT/Center/Surrounds
« on: 22 Jan 2008, 12:59 am »
Hi everyone,

After admiring Jim's speaker designs for many years, I'm finally off on my own and in a position to buy a 5.1 SongTower setup (once the surrounds come out).  At the same time, I'll need to upgrade my receiver, and I'm thinking of going with separates.  I think the Integra DTC-9.8 is the likely candidate for my preamp because of its sound quality, feature set, and ease of use.  I have absolutely no idea what to do for a 5 or 7 channel amp, though.  My budget for the amplifier section is $2500, though less is of course better!

My listening will be largely movies, TV, and video games, though I will listen to music, too.  It will probably be an 80/20 split between A/V and audio.  I like rock, bluegrass, hip hop, and jazz, mainly.  I don't listen to things at extreme volumes, so I'm not concerned about super-high levels of output.  My room is about 12 feet front to back and 40 feet wide, though 2/3 of the width is dining/kitchen.

I've demoed Arcam and Rotel pieces on decent speakers (B&W 6 series and Ampheon) and they both sounded nice, though I've had a tough time doing an A/B on them.  I've heard good things about the Anthem PVA 5 and PVA 7, and those seem like pretty good deals, too.

With all of that (probably superfluous) information in mind, does anyone have any recommendations?  Jim, is there one amplifier/brand of amplifiers that you voice these speakers to (like Rotel/B&W claim to)?  I'll have to get interconnects/cables, too, though that will be secondary.

Thanks a lot!  And by the way, if anyone is in the Chicago area and might be able to demo their speakers/talk audio, that would be fantastic.

Thanks,
Justin
« Last Edit: 22 Jan 2008, 05:06 am by NYSportz »

WGH

Re: Preamp/Amplifier for SongTower QWT/Center/Surrounds
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jan 2008, 01:48 am »
Hi NYSportz - Welcome to AC. I use an Anthem PVA 2 for both 2 channel and home theater listening. The Anthem sound is smooth, grain free with tight, deep controlled bass. As an example of how good this amp is, you can just keep turning up the volume and the music never gets harsh or piercing. Try to find an Anthem setup to listen to and you you will be pleasantly surprised.

Wayne

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #2 on: 22 Jan 2008, 02:08 am »
I can highly recommend the ATI 1506 with the SongTowers.

I use this combo in my HT and is produces some very good results.

A used ATI 1506 should run you around $900 on Audiogon and allow you to move funds elsewhere or keep some money in your pocket.

George

zoestanley

« Reply #3 on: 22 Jan 2008, 02:18 am »
i have the integra 9.8 and use a 7 channel d-sonic ice power amp.  i have the salk ht3s and htc.  my salk ht1 surrounds are being built.  very happy with the setup so far.  cant wait for the whole set!

Toka

« Reply #4 on: 22 Jan 2008, 04:09 am »
You could get some Audio By Van Alstine amps for your budget that will do the trick...OmegaStar 240/3EX for the center/surrounds and a 260EX for the fronts would work wonderfully I'm sure. If you are looking for a "one box" solution, the various amps from Emotiva sure sound nice. Upcoming XPA-5 is 200Wx5 at $799.

NYSportz

« Reply #5 on: 22 Jan 2008, 05:06 am »
Thanks for the replies.

WGH: I'm glad you like your Anthem amp.  I definitely want to find a place to demo one of these nearby.

Zybar: That ATI amp looks nice but a little too massive for my setup unfortunately.  I don't have a ton of room or flexibility in placement.

zoestanley: That d-sonic looks promising but a little expensive?  Is there a good place to find these for less than MSRP?  Also, how do the d-sonic ICE amps stack up to the Rotels?  I think they're based on the same technology but I'm not sure.

Toka: The Van Alstine amps look quite nice, though I'm afraid the size constraint would be an issue here, too.  I might be able to work that Emotiva amp, though.  Any thoughts on Emotiva vs. Anthem?  Both 5-channel amps are relatively affordable, though the Emotiva is even less expensive.

I really wish I could line up a pair of speakers (SongTowers especially) and A/B/C/D/E amps from Emotiva, Anthem, Rotel, d-sonic, and Arcam.  I guess this is the wonderful and difficult thing about audio gear - having so many quality manufacturers means lots of good products to look at but a very difficult time choosing!

Thanks,
Justin
« Last Edit: 22 Jan 2008, 05:45 am by NYSportz »

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #6 on: 22 Jan 2008, 10:23 am »
A good channel of amplification for $500 is tough, but look at...

Odyssey Stratos HT5 for solid state (5 channels/one case) very well done:  http://www.odysseyaudio.com/.

A digital option is EVS100M (monoblocks) at $400/channel:  http://www.tweakaudio.com/

I use an older Rotel in a 2nd/3rd system.  A plow horse (well built, but is slow/thick sounding) among audiophile throughbreds.  Don't know how the newer stuff stacks up.

jd3

« Reply #7 on: 22 Jan 2008, 12:07 pm »
You could try an Outlaw amp...they are made by ATI and there are a number that would meet your budget.  I use a 7075 (75 wpc @ 8 ohms x 7, 115 wpc @4 ohms x 7) and my ST's sound great.....for $999 you could have a 7125 (7 x 125 watts @ 8 ohms, 7 x 190 watts @ 4 ohms).

I'm about 4 hours away from you (probably too far to drive for an audition though!)

1stplasma

« Reply #8 on: 22 Jan 2008, 03:05 pm »
I'm about 1.5 hours south west. Only using an AVR to power them though.

Toka

« Reply #9 on: 23 Jan 2008, 01:01 am »
NYSportz,

Its been a while since I heard any Anthem gear, but I recall liking it quite a bit. Some of the Emotiva stuff (not the XPA amp, but the MPS line) are essentially clones of the Sunfire amps, which are outta sight (Class H). I don't really think you could go wrong with any of them, honestly!

NYSportz

« Reply #10 on: 23 Jan 2008, 04:51 am »
Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the input and audition offers.  I'll keep an eye out for deals on the amps suggested here.  Any more suggestions or local auditions/meetups (Chicagoland preferably) are appreciated!

Thanks,
Justin
« Last Edit: 23 Jan 2008, 05:26 am by NYSportz »