Torus 20amp

Tony1

Torus 20amp
« on: 20 Jan 2008, 11:28 pm »
James

Would it be safe to use a 20amp Taurus with equip that's 15amp and power outlet and breaker is 15amp? Reason why I ask is evetually will upgrade to amps that are 20amps and put in a line/breaker that supports 20amps at a later time. I don't want to buy a 15amp Torus then later have to get another that is 20amp.

Tony

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Torus 20amp
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jan 2008, 11:39 pm »
James

Would it be safe to use a 20amp Taurus with equip that's 15amp and power outlet and breaker is 15amp? Reason why I ask is evetually will upgrade to amps that are 20amps and put in a line/breaker that supports 20amps at a later time. I don't want to buy a 15amp Torus then later have to get another that is 20amp.

Tony

Hi Tony,

Yes it is safe. As a matter of fact we sell more 20 amp Torus units with a --15 to 20 amp -- adapter power cord than we do 15 amp units.  It is an easy way to upgrade when you put in a 20 amp service.

james

carlos3621

« Reply #2 on: 2 Feb 2008, 03:39 am »
what is the pricing on the 120v/ 20amp model?
thanks
carlos

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 2 Feb 2008, 12:58 pm »
what is the pricing on the 120v/ 20amp model?
thanks
carlos

$3000 suggested list - USA.

james

rengroup

« Reply #4 on: 2 Feb 2008, 04:14 pm »
Hi James & everyone...

I've had my RM10 & RM20 for a couple weeks, now.  Since I haven't run my 20A line, yet, I'm using the RM10 in my primary system, temporarily.  I see reviews discuss that conditioners are most noticed after you remove them from the system, and I'm sure that's true, but I noticed a blacker background, immediately.  At the time, my BCD-1 was paired with my Simaudio i-7 integrated, and the difference made me sit up in my chair and listen...to the silence.   :o

Robert

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 2 Feb 2008, 06:34 pm »
Hi James & everyone...

I've had my RM10 & RM20 for a couple weeks, now.  Since I haven't run my 20A line, yet, I'm using the RM10 in my primary system, temporarily.  I see reviews discuss that conditioners are most noticed after you remove them from the system, and I'm sure that's true, but I noticed a blacker background, immediately.  At the time, my BCD-1 was paired with my Simaudio i-7 integrated, and the difference made me sit up in my chair and listen...to the silence.   :o

Robert

Hi Robert,

Good observation - I do not think many people realize how much the noise on the power line affects the audio system.

I have always found with our electronics that the more we were able to lower the noise floor the more resolution the system was capable of. The Torus ISOLATES you from all that garbage and really lets you hear into the performance.  It is the subtle audio clues at very low levels (IMO) that make the difference between good and great systems.

james

carlos3621

« Reply #6 on: 3 Feb 2008, 03:57 am »
James,, what model torus, do you recommend for;
velodyne fsr15 sub
bryston 9bsst and sp 1.7
sony blu-ray player.?

im debating weather i should also hook up my sony lcd projector ,,

whats youre opinion?
thanks
carlos

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #7 on: 3 Feb 2008, 11:15 am »
James,, what model torus, do you recommend for;
velodyne fsr15 sub
bryston 9bsst and sp 1.7
sony blu-ray player.?

im debating weather i should also hook up my sony lcd projector ,,

whats youre opinion?
thanks
carlos

Hi Carlos,

Assuming a 120 volt line a 15 or 20 amp Torus would be fine. Yes I would plug in the projector - the Torus will really clean up the picture quality.

james

butch420

« Reply #8 on: 13 Feb 2008, 01:19 am »
James

How much  heat do these units give off ?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #9 on: 13 Feb 2008, 02:31 am »
James

How much  heat do these units give off ?

Hi,

I have never measured it but hardly any at all - it would esentially be a little above room temperature.

james

carlos3621

« Reply #10 on: 13 Feb 2008, 06:41 am »
i did not know this, i just read that the torus is not a "balanced output (60v + 60v)" type of unit, rather an isolation transformer @  (120v + neutral) , if so, id like to hear if anybody has compared a torus unit , to a balanced output unit ( equitech, BPT, Furman IT...etc , im just curious as to how they compare

thanks,
carlos

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #11 on: 13 Feb 2008, 01:32 pm »
Hi All,

Here is a memo I sent out a while back regarding this issue:
http://www.toruspower.com/

MEMO: All USA and Canadian Torus Representatives
SUBJECT: Balanced Power

Based on a recent Internet posting that came to our attention at Torus there appears to be some misunderstanding regarding Balanced Powerline Conditioners.

Torus Power line conditions can operate on a power line input feed of 120 Volt(single phase) or 240 Volt (dual phase). If the 240 Volt version is used then the Torus Powerline Conditioner is BALANCED at the INPUT. The OUTPUT is not balanced and runs Single Phase 120 Volts.

The advantage of operating a Balanced Input or a Balanced Output is noise reduction as a result of the balanced line common mode noise rejection. Given Plitron's proprietary technologies --- “NBT”, “Low-Noise” and “Low Imin” ---Torus Power units have the capability to reduce noise effectively on the output without the need to use Balanced 60V-60V output terminals.

The problem with using Balanced 60/120V. 1-phase AC output on a Consumer Powerline Conditioner are the mandatory requirements demanded by the 2005 USA National Electrical Code – Article 647.

The Balanced 60/120 Volt 1-phase AC mandatory installation requirements are:
1. The system is installed only in commercial or industrial occupancies.
2. All junction box covers shall be clearly marked to indicate the distribution panel and the system voltage.
3. Restricted to areas under close qualified supervision.

Where receptacles are used as a means of connecting equipment, the following conditions shall be met:
1. All 15 ampere and 20 ampere receptacles shall be GFCI protected.
2. All outlet strips, adapters, receptacle covers and faceplates shall be marked with the following words or equivalent:

WARNING - TECHNICAL POWER Do not connect to lighting equipment. For electronic equipment use only.
60/120 V. 1-phase AC GFCI protected.

In conclusion if a Torus Powerline Conditioner is used (either 120V Single Phase or 240V Balanced) in a Consumer installation the advantages are:
1. There is no need for use of GFCI protected receptacles.
2. Can be installed in residential as well as commercial and industrial occupancies.
3. Operation of the unit does not require close supervision by qualified personnel.
4. No warning labels required

Regards,
James Tanner
« Last Edit: 14 Feb 2008, 01:36 pm by James Tanner »