Listen-kegger at Steve's

Blackmore

Listen-kegger at Steve's
« on: 19 Jan 2008, 04:58 pm »
Had a blast.  :beer:  We should have more meets like this one.  No equipment swaps just hanging out with each other.  Loved the Rodney Dangerfield lp. Just great!  The Cliff note version would go like this; Chris (MerRev) just landed a used Musical Design amp for a bedroom system. He's up to 4 amps at his house now.  Alan has been busy with some house redecorating and set up a small bedroom system with a flat panel and some HTIB. Sounds like a pretty cool setup.  Sturgus found a young girl at work that likes vinyl.  We hoped to invite her to a GAS meeting, but idea was crushed by us listening to the entire first side of a stereo test LP and decided Steve's anti-skate was wrong.  THIS IS EXACTLY WHY WOMEN WON'T JOIN US!!!!!!!!!  Steve's full VTL amps are very groovy, baby. Didn't heat up the basement at all and did a great job of controlling those panels.  425 watts of VTL per side is just what the doctor ordered. Scott has some new-old Sansui XP77$89BBrrs (is that the right number, Scott? :lol:) 4 ways with a 16 inch woofer and horn tweeters and mids and squawkers and boomers and something else thrown in.  They are lighting up the work-shed.  We need to see these bad boys from the 70's.

The Heineken mini-keg made the whole thing seem like a frat party. I'm waiting for some pictures of the totally unapproved Lonewolf computer speakers.  Hope Chris (lonewolf) doesn't sue me for copyright infringement.  Let's get together a little more often in the spring and everyone should mark your calendar for the GAS Christmas party in May! :lol:

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
Re: Listen-kegger at Steve's
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jan 2008, 05:36 pm »
Sounds like a good time.  Wish I could have made it. 

If things every settle down around here, we'll do one at my place again.  We can do a small one while it's cold and then maybe FINALLY have that bar-b-q we've been trying to arrange for the last couple of years.

Bryan

electricbear

« Reply #2 on: 19 Jan 2008, 06:16 pm »
Sounds like it was fun. Sorry I couldn't make it.
I've just ordered a new set of speakers so once they are broken in it will be party at Tims. I'm shooting for somewhere at the beginning of March.

steve k

« Reply #3 on: 19 Jan 2008, 08:28 pm »
Yes a good time was had by all--and I got my anti-skating fixed.  :duh: I thought Sturgus was going to wet his pants with the Dangerfield album. I've never heard him laugh so hard. :lol: Thanks for the Heineken kegger, Mark. It really took me back to my college days--what little of them I can remember. :o If we ever do get Sturg's new friend over for a meet we'll have to be on our best behavior though. No phono setup LPs although she'll probably enjoy hearing my anti-skate setup properly. Here's a few pics of the panel speaker shootout.

Levi

« Reply #4 on: 19 Jan 2008, 09:57 pm »
Wow !!! Are those the new "Lonewolfny42" speakers. :hyper:

Blackmore

« Reply #5 on: 19 Jan 2008, 10:34 pm »
Steve's cat put her paw out and almost struck the Lonewolf pose.  If we only could have gotten her to sit next to the mini-keg, it would have been perfect. I'll try to get these to Chris so he can do the official pose on these.  I promise we never hooked them up to Steve's 300 watt VTLs......but boy, did we want to! :icon_twisted:

Scott F.

« Reply #6 on: 19 Jan 2008, 11:12 pm »
Had a great time last night! Thanks for hosting Steve  :thumb: The uber tube system is sounding pretty darned nice nowadays  :green: So what did you say the total tube count of the system was?

Mark, those are perfect  :green: Believe it or not, they actually imaged pretty OK.  :duh:

Mark....... I'm almost afraid to post anything about those old Sansui SP-X8000's because some might get me confused with our real speaker ho, MevRev  :lol: Anyway, here they are in all their 4 WAY, 16" woofer glory (swiped some pics from the net)

Believe it or not, they don't sound half bad. Sure they need the old electrolytics replaced but other than that, they work pretty darned OK up on the wood shop. They crank pretty well and the 16" woofer holds together alright when you push it hard on rock. I like 'em  :green:

Speaking of hosting, I'm thinking about having a make up Bash sometime in late April or early May. That way the only thing we have to worry about are Tornado's  :roll: The weather should be good enough that we can move about the cabin freely and even char some animal flesh on an open fire.  :drool:

steve k

« Reply #7 on: 20 Jan 2008, 12:11 am »
Wow Scott--all those need are flashing red LEDs! :lol: They remind me of the ones Judge Reinhold tried to sell to the newlyweds in Ruthless People. :thumb:

MerRev

« Reply #8 on: 20 Jan 2008, 04:11 am »
sounds very promising both Scott and Tim. :D

Steve, the ole girls were sounding pretty good last night but one of them was in need of a nightrobe.   I still think adding the 40th tube to your mix just may bring you one step closer.  :P 

It was good to see some of the Gas gang and air my audio confessions. 
Mark, thanks for bringing the Hein-o-keg and also for the entertaining homage to master Circle member Lonewolfny42.  :thumb:

Ok Electricbear- I'm biting- would you like to share with us your new babies name?

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #9 on: 20 Jan 2008, 06:14 am »
Well....well....well.....what do we have here ? :scratch:

Lonewolf speakers......hmmm....

Pretty cool.....nice work.....thanks guys.
Sorry I missed the event....all that nice equipment....and ....a keg of beer....wow - nice !!!! :beer:

Thanks again for thinking about me.....they look great !!!! :thumb:

Chris

alana106

« Reply #10 on: 20 Jan 2008, 04:58 pm »
Steve,

It was great to see a few of the guys again.   Thanks for a real relaxing night.   The new VTLs sound great, and I really didn't notice the room being that warm.  Next summer you'll have to wait and see if you need to add a couple of tons of AC. :lol:

Mark...   After seeing the new LONEWOLF speakers, I  keep wondering if another design might be lurking about.   I keep picturing a pair of Heineken kegs with the ends remove, and full range acoustic suspension drivers filling the holes. aa

Alan