NEW VACUUM TUBE DAC

avahifi

NEW VACUUM TUBE DAC
« on: 19 Jan 2008, 02:17 pm »
Speaking of DACS, you heard it here first.  Today I am releasing the Transcendence Eight vacuum tube DAC.  Price $1249.00

Pure vacuum tube analog filter and audio output circuits, 6N1P tubes, high voltage regulated power supplies, and more.  Very interesting tube audio circuits, not like anything else we have done before.  Very effective.  A great match for the T8 tube preamp.

Same chassis and overall mechanical layout as the Ultra DAC but $350 less.

Sound?  Same as you would expect of the hybrid Ultra DAC, but a bit softer.  Just what you pure vacuum tube guys have been looking for.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

Wayner

Re: NEW VACUUM TUBE DAC
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jan 2008, 02:58 pm »
SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!
 :drool:

Wayner

mcullinan

« Reply #2 on: 19 Jan 2008, 03:07 pm »
Double Sweet!
Any pics, further specs?
Mike

martyo

« Reply #3 on: 19 Jan 2008, 03:27 pm »
Just my guess, but knowing Franks philosphy of avoiding adding unnecessary costs to gear, I'd bet it looks like and is built in the same chassis as the Ultra DAC or the Omegastar.

Wayner

« Reply #4 on: 19 Jan 2008, 03:28 pm »
I'd say that is for certain.

W :D

pardales

« Reply #5 on: 19 Jan 2008, 03:33 pm »
Is a component that combines one of AVA's DAC's and pre-amps a possibility? Just curious, thanks,

Toka

« Reply #6 on: 19 Jan 2008, 04:29 pm »
Very nice! Not a single question in my mind that'll sound anything other than fantastic.

budyog

• I don't listen to audio, I listen to music.
« Reply #7 on: 19 Jan 2008, 05:08 pm »
Very cool Frank! I hope to down the road use that with the Waida Ipod doc. That should make for a nice match  :D

Jon L

« Reply #8 on: 19 Jan 2008, 05:25 pm »

Sound?  Same as you would expect of the hybrid Ultra DAC, but a bit softer.  Just what you pure vacuum tube guys have been looking for.

Hey, we toob guys object to that supposition  :green:

We could really use a tube DAC that does NOT soften things and give a clearer yet infinitely-nuanced music!  Could you put that "Warp 11" button on the new DAC, please?

TomW16

« Reply #9 on: 19 Jan 2008, 06:42 pm »
I'm anxious to hear more too.

Cheers,
Tom

rustneversleeps

« Reply #10 on: 19 Jan 2008, 06:44 pm »
I am curious of what would we give up in a T-8 DAC other than the sound is a bit soft, when it's price is being $350.0 lower then the Ultra. Obviously, the Ultra is still the top of the line.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #11 on: 19 Jan 2008, 06:48 pm »
I am curious of what would we give up in a T-8 DAC other than the sound is a bit soft, when it's price is being $350.0 lower then the Ultra. Obviously, the Ultra is still the top of the line.

Not necessarily, sometimes designers find less expensive ways of doing things better.

Lin

Wayner

« Reply #12 on: 19 Jan 2008, 07:06 pm »
Maybe Frank designed the T8 DAC to compliment the T8 pre-amp to make it family.

budyog

« Reply #13 on: 19 Jan 2008, 07:40 pm »
We are family :banana piano: The AVA T-8 DAC, 350, T7 and me :banana piano: We are the AVA family  :banana piano:
Wayner, you knew it was coming!

Charles Calkins

« Reply #14 on: 19 Jan 2008, 07:57 pm »
If pres. Bush sends me 800 smackers I'll send it to Frank and order one.

Hell I might not wait for pres. Bush to send me anything. Should work real good with my T7ECR pre.

Cheers
                                         Charlie

Wayner

« Reply #15 on: 19 Jan 2008, 08:45 pm »
Budyog, No I did not!

I'm as suprised as you are.

W...................... aa

budyog

« Reply #16 on: 19 Jan 2008, 08:57 pm »
Wayner,
 I mean the silly "we are family" jingle from your line! Just felt right! :D  Not the T8. That is a nice surprise!

rustneversleeps

« Reply #17 on: 20 Jan 2008, 02:02 am »
I guess I don't like the terms like "soft", "all tube", "tube like", and etc.....

Does it mean the sound of kick drum has no punch to it? No solid bass but great mid range?

I haven't heard the Ultra, nor any newer AVA product, but judging from the older product, the new ones should be even more accurate to the music and not supposed to be "soft".

I believe a good system should be good for all music, and not color one way or another.

Rasta

« Reply #18 on: 20 Jan 2008, 02:27 am »
I agree.  Perhaps a poor choice of words.

I like and purchase tube equipment because, in my experience, it is more accurate, linear, and musical.  I'm not interested in tube tone conditioners (ttc).   :lol:

martyo

« Reply #19 on: 20 Jan 2008, 02:08 pm »
I guess I don't like the terms like "soft", "all tube", "tube like", and etc.....

Does it mean the sound of kick drum has no punch to it? No solid bass but great mid range?

I haven't heard the Ultra, nor any newer AVA product, but judging from the older product, the new ones should be even more accurate to the music and not supposed to be "soft".

I believe a good system should be good for all music, and not color one way or another.

It's probably a mistake by ME to try to expand on what Brian already said but here goes. A couple years ago I bought a used Super PAS 3i (built in 1995) after listening to mark funk's T5. The PAS was like opening a window and allowing the sound into the room. The best my set had ever sounded by a large margin. BUT the PAS was softer, more veiled, less extended at both extremes, and not as resolving as mark funk's T5.
The PAS still let through more music than anything I had previously had in my set. I eventually ordered a T8 without any audition. I choose the T8 over the Ultra for 2 reasons, price and I wanted to roll tubes and the rolling would have more of an effect in the tube T8 than in the hybrid Ultra. The idea of being able to slightly change the personality of the music presentation with different NOS tubes really appealed to me. It can become a very costly hobby in itself tho and Frank saved me a lot of money when he made the 6N1P(no tubes to roll) upgrade while my T8 was on order. I never heard the first T8's before the 6N1P but Brian who has, already described the difference as "absolutely a dramatic improvement". Next I borrow mark funk's Transcendence DAC and install it in my system with my T8 and Ultra 550. With Cd's now being properly converted to analog and the richness of the music coming through like I remembered vinyl, with the dynamic range, low end, and........that the digital format allows over vinyl, my set was really starting to "sing". BUT there was a SLIGHT softening of the musical attack overall and the dynamic range and low end sock were not up to the T8's which had 2 generations of upgrades over the Transcendence series. But after I returned that DAC to mark funk, within a month I had to order my own Ultra DAC. With the Ultra, being of the same vintage as the T8 and 550, there was no softening and actually it seemed to me even more dynamics and low end sock than without the DAC.

From my own experience, each new "generation" of AVA gear moves closer to "perfect". While it is hard to imagine with the current gear he makes, based on past experience, Mr Van Alstine is not finished, and the future just might hold gear even closer to "perfect".

As far as terms like tubelike and such, I thought The Absolute Sound said it pretty accurately; "Van Alstine may well have found the elusive sweet spot between the natural warmth and harmonic richness of tubes and the clean, clear, well-controlled sound of fine solid-state."