5.1 Headphones

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
5.1 Headphones
« on: 29 Sep 2003, 09:29 pm »
These are at Tom's Hardware    http://www6.tomshardware.com/video/20030926/index.html

What do you think?

ehider

5.1 Headphones
« Reply #1 on: 1 Oct 2003, 11:00 pm »
Interesting product idea, but these phones are true stinkers in the music department. You can buy 2 channel $29 headphones that have MUCH better low frequency extension :o  than these "posers".

I do hope that headphones like these sell well though. That should motivate headphone companies like Sennheiser to manufacture some great sounding 5.1 headphones.

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
5.1 Headphones
« Reply #2 on: 1 Oct 2003, 11:10 pm »
Yeah there was a little too much emphasis on that "build quality"

ehider

5.1 Headphones
« Reply #3 on: 2 Oct 2003, 12:19 am »
I guess I should further explain my point; The poster asked what we think about this new fangled 5.1 headphone offering. My previous post and answer was from the perspective of how these phones "stack up" as a music reproduction device suited for people like us "audiophiles".

I will give credit where credit is due on these new headphones - If I had a surround sound computer card and played games that supported this format, I'd probably buy these phones in a heartbeat! I'm sure they would take the whole game playing experience to an enitre new level. Their price is reasonable and the quality seems to be quite great for this type of application.

Then again, this forum is not about computer periphials or mid-fi "Joe six pack" gear. With a focus of "true quality of sound reproduction in mind" I find that these 5.1 headphones are SERIOUSLY surrpassed in sound quality by many other "2 channel" headphone offerings, for less money too :o

petermwilson

5.1 Headphones
« Reply #4 on: 3 Oct 2003, 11:36 am »
Hi,
I can't comment on the product pictured but some software dvd players like Power dvd I think provide the DolbyHeadphone algorythm which gives a 5.1 effect.

I have and use it through my Denon 5800/03 which also provides it.
Any stereo headfones can be used.

Peter m.