New and improved T-MAX 400 film?

SET Man

New and improved T-MAX 400 film?
« on: 17 Jan 2008, 09:09 pm »
Hey!

Surprisingly YES!  :o

And I thought that Kodak stop film research. But here we are in 2008 they bought out a new and improved one of my favorite B&W film! 8)

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professional/products/films/bw/tMax400.jhtml

Even though it had been a long while since I actually use B&W film, develop and print B&W... the last time was in Nov 2005  :icon_lol: I am very excited about this!  :D

T-MAX 400 had always been one of my favorite B&W film,  pretty much my default film. Other B&W films are T-MAX 100 and Tri-X. Depending on what I will be shooting I will choose what will be best from those 3 films. :D

Seeing this I think I might have to buy a roll and try it. The only problem is the printing part. Developing is not a problem. But I haven't done any printing at my current place yet. And it seems to be hard then my previous apartment  :roll:

But! I'm all getting itchy thinking about this now! Well, let's see how it goes. :wink:

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

gsm18439

Re: New and improved T-MAX 400 film?
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jan 2008, 11:17 pm »
I prefer Ilford XP-2. But maybe I should try the new T-Max 400.

toocool4

« Reply #2 on: 18 Jan 2008, 12:13 am »
It would be nice to try it out, I normally use ILFORD HP5 Plus for that speed. I use to love the T-Max 3200.

I still prefer B&W film, I was using ILFORD HP5 Plus / FP4 Plus last month while I was in New York last month.

Chris

SET Man

« Reply #3 on: 18 Jan 2008, 01:03 am »
I prefer Ilford XP-2. But maybe I should try the new T-Max 400.

Hey!

Ilford XP-2 is a C-41 film. I once tried to prints for a friend from his XP-2 neg. Somehow I just could not get those prints to look like my prints from real B&W neg. :? I guess I'm not used to it.

Of course XP-2 were made to be develop in C-41 of which is color processing and print on color paper. Good for those who want B&W that could be drop off at local color lab. :D

It would be nice to try it out, I normally use ILFORD HP5 Plus for that speed. I use to love the T-Max 3200.

I still prefer B&W film, I was using ILFORD HP5 Plus / FP4 Plus last month while I was in New York last month.

Chris

Chris, I've used Ilford in the past. Actually my first roll of B&W film where Ilford I think it was FP4. :D

Ilford film have a different feel to it compared to Kodak. There are kinds of subject that I might go for Ilford.

I'm pretty sure that you will find the final print from T-MAX 400 different than HP5 or Delta 400. The later Delta 400 came out to compete with T-MAX 400. :D

BTW... I find that T-MAX 400 is less forgiving when developing than Tri-X and HP5. So, remember to be more precise. :wink:

Take care,

gsm18439

« Reply #4 on: 18 Jan 2008, 03:24 am »
I like the grain structure and tonal qualities of Ilford XP-2. However, I must confess that I do not do my own printing so I do not know the issues involved. But I have used Ilford XP-2 for decades and like the results. I tried the Kodak equivalent and did not like the results.

http://www.garysmintz.com/
« Last Edit: 18 Jan 2008, 03:44 am by gsm18439 »

SET Man

« Reply #5 on: 18 Jan 2008, 03:52 am »
I like the grain structure and tonal qualities of Ilford XP-2. However, I must confess that I do not do my own printing so I do not know the issues involved. But I have used Ilford XP-2 for decades and like the results.

http://www.garysmintz.com/

Hey!

Great photos there! :D

No, don't get me wrong XP-2 is a great film. It is just that I'm not use to printing from it. :D

Ilford were the first to put out B&W film that could be process and print with C-41... great idea don't ya think?  See it works for you :D

Take care,

mjosef

« Reply #6 on: 18 Jan 2008, 04:25 am »
Interesting...I used TMax400 a couple times over a decade ago. HP5 used to be my mainstay high speed B&W way back when, I then moved to XP-1, and ended up with Delta400 when it first came out, got a couple rolls in my fridge still. I also got a 100ft. bulk can of FP4 in there too...Buddy, you want it? Its probably long expired but has been kept refridgerated(unopened) over the years.
I love the Delta tone.

SET Man

« Reply #7 on: 18 Jan 2008, 04:34 am »
Interesting...I used TMax400 a couple times over a decade ago. HP5 used to be my mainstay high speed B&W way back when, I then moved to XP-1, and ended up with Delta400 when it first came out, got a couple rolls in my fridge still. I also got a 100ft. bulk can of FP4 in there too...Buddy, you want it? Its probably long expired but has been kept refridgerated(unopened) over the years.
I love the Delta tone.

Hey!

Thanks for the offer but I think I still some of my film left in my ice box also  :icon_lol:

Yes, I've tried Delta 400. It seem to have a smoother look to it vs. higher contrast and sharper with T-MAX 400. For shooting people I might go with the Delta 400 for a smoother look if that's is what you are looking for. :D

Anyway, I haven't talk about film with anybody for a long time now or even developing and printing any.  :lol: Actually I was just checking my darkroom stuff finding film can and etc. :wink:

Take care,

mjosef

« Reply #8 on: 18 Jan 2008, 04:42 am »
Same here...I don't really travel in the film circles anymore. I started developing my own XP1 after the first couple rolls came back with multiple scratches on the negs...figured I could do a better job and I was right.  :thumb:
I have all my darkroom gear...of course I haven't really 'seen' it for almost 6years.  :lol:
Wonder what my enlarger is worth nowadays...probably not much...the Schnider (?) lens might be worth double what I paid for it back in the 80's.

JohnR

« Reply #9 on: 19 Jan 2008, 06:53 am »
I have been using Tri-X only recently. I like how it turns out in the finished images, although sometimes it seems a bit on the grainy side.

How does T-Max 400 compare?

SET Man

« Reply #10 on: 19 Jan 2008, 07:02 am »
I have been using Tri-X only recently. I like how it turns out in the finished images, although sometimes it seems a bit on the grainy side.

How does T-Max 400 compare?

Hey!

T-MAX 400 is definitely sharper and have tighter grain than Tri-X. Also, to me T-MAX seems to get better detail in shadow area.

For classic 50's looks I would go with the Tri-X. But let's say for architect shot I would go with the T-MAX. But of course it is all depend on what you want the final image to look and feel like. :D

But T-MAX is less forgiving than Tri-X at developing so you have to be more precise with it.

Take care,