The Bad Plus

rabpaul

The Bad Plus
« on: 17 Jan 2008, 10:26 am »
A sub review recommended "Give" for its bass content. I have to say its as close as I will ever get to live bass. Anyone familair with their music? I am very tempted to get more of their albums but am at a loss as to what to choose.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_m/105-1726918-7340467?url=search-alias%3Dpopular&field-keywords=the+bad+plus&x=11&y=20

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: The Bad Plus
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jan 2008, 01:11 pm »
"These Are the Vistas" has been a very popular choice with many here at AC.

I own all of their recordings and like "These Are the Vistas" the best.

Not just because of the great bass content, but overall it is stronger top to bottom.

You can also read some good reviews on allmusic.com

George

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #2 on: 17 Jan 2008, 01:57 pm »
I have 4 of their albums, Prog (2007): Suspicious Activity (2005): Give (2004); and of course These Are The Vistas (2003). Being I love jazz of all types, The Bad Plus rates high among my choices.  :D

Cheers,
Robin

mcullinan

« Reply #3 on: 17 Jan 2008, 02:50 pm »
I love the Bad Plus... Wife thinks it sounds like musak. Personally shes nutz, thats why I married her. hehe
Mike

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #4 on: 17 Jan 2008, 03:59 pm »
I've got "TATV" (These are the Vistas), and "prog".
I'll definitely give the nod to TATV. Much more thumpin' stringed bass. I like that kinda stuff.
I'll have to check eBay for the others, you guys have my "Bad" juices flowing.  aa

Bob

TRM

« Reply #5 on: 17 Jan 2008, 06:13 pm »
I love jazz and I have a couple of these guys albums but I just am not that into them. I think it's the drummer, not into his style or sound.

bikes and beats

« Reply #6 on: 17 Jan 2008, 06:16 pm »
No they're not for everyone. But listen to them live and you will believe. They're my second most powerful live performance next to the late great Michael Brecker.

TRM

« Reply #7 on: 17 Jan 2008, 11:17 pm »
No they're not for everyone. But listen to them live and you will believe. They're my second most powerful live performance next to the late great Michael Brecker.

yep I've seen em live. They were good. I prefer MMW  live 8)

rabpaul

« Reply #8 on: 18 Jan 2008, 05:56 am »
I am always on the lookout for light/smooth jazz that's different.
Would you believe I only discovered The Pat Metheny Group after reading about them here on the Music Circle and now I have like 6 of their albums. I guess I am one of those collector types.
Thanks guys for the recomendations.

jackthecat

« Reply #9 on: 18 Jan 2008, 09:17 am »
I wouldn't call Bad Plus smooth jazz but I love their stuff!  I have three albums but will collect all eventually. :) I have never heard them live and probably never will unfortunately :)
Some tracks are a bit frantic for my taste but I absolutely LOVE other tracks to death !
Other stuff I am into at the moment ...I like trios and a lot of these are ... Tord Gustafsen , Esbjorn Svensson Trio or EST , Jacques Loussier Trio , Benjamin Moussay Trio , Medeski Martin & Wood ( they would be closest to Bad plus style but not the same at all)  , Ron Carter , Tomasz Stanko Quartet , Bill Frisell , Brad Mehldau , Charlie Haden and Pat Metheny that you know. If you go to CD Now or CD Universe you can listen before you buy and you don't necessarily have to buy from them :)
Good Luck with your music hunting :)

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #10 on: 18 Jan 2008, 02:22 pm »
I love jazz and I have a couple of these guys albums but I just am not that into them. I think it's the drummer, not into his style or sound.

Funny you mention that.  I was listening to Give last night, and came to the conclusion that the reason I like, not love, the Bad Plus, is that I believe the pianist and bassist are incredible, with great timing and innovation.  I just think the Jason Bonham-styled drummer gets too Zeppelin at times.  Oh well, prolly too nitpicky of me.......I do like a song or two as part of a playlist.  They do bring a fresh sound to jazz.

rabpaul

« Reply #11 on: 19 Jan 2008, 12:15 pm »
I like trios and a lot of these are ... Tord Gustafsen , Esbjorn Svensson Trio or EST , Jacques Loussier Trio , Benjamin Moussay Trio , Medeski Martin & Wood ( they would be closest to Bad plus style but not the same at all)
It would take me a while to work through this list. I would really appreciate if you could recommend at least one album for each of these groups to get me started.
They do bring a fresh sound to jazz.
Its really that fresh (I see this as different) sound that I am looking out for.

MaxCast

« Reply #12 on: 19 Jan 2008, 12:43 pm »
I like trios and a lot of these are ... Tord Gustafsen , Esbjorn Svensson Trio or EST , Jacques Loussier Trio , Benjamin Moussay Trio , Medeski Martin & Wood ( they would be closest to Bad plus style but not the same at all)
It would take me a while to work through this list. I would really appreciate if you could recommend at least one album for each of these groups to get me started.

Me too  aa
Thanks a bunch.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #13 on: 19 Jan 2008, 03:10 pm »
Tord Gustafson Trio  -  Being There (part of a trilogy, the others being well-reviewed as well, but I don't yet own))
Tomasz Stanko Quartet - Soul of Things (TS adds a very eclectic sax, hence a "quartet", but great stuff nonetheless)

Scott F.

« Reply #14 on: 19 Jan 2008, 03:54 pm »
I'll take the question about where to start with Esbjorn Svensson Trio.

Rather than starting with their latest release, you owe it to yourself to explore these guys from their beginnings back in the 90's.

Here in the States, they released a best of compilation called Somewhere Else Before.

Here is the link to Amazon and a few samples where you can get a 30 second flavor for each of the songs on this release.

Here is a link to some writings I did when I was back at TNT on Somewhere Else Before.
....my TNT musings EST from 2001

....and then here is another article I wrote back in '05 about one of their (then) new release for Enjoy The Music.
...more musings on EST at ETM (below the Jolida article)

I've got a couple of The Bad Plus releases. A number of people have said that they sound like EST. I hear a few faint similarities. That said, I suspect The Bad Plus heard EST in their early days over in Europe and tried to emulate them on some level. To me, I don't care for TB+'s compositions but that is a personal thing, there are loads of people that love them so enjoy exploring.

I find it really curious that EST is absolutely HUGE in Europe (tons of awards, sellout venues in hours, etc) but they can't get a nickels worth of air time over here. I suppose that says something about American radio.

My suggestion is start with Somewhere Else Before and then go back and fill in their releases in date order. This will give you a unique perspective on their personal journey. You will see how they grow compositionally, how they have stretched the boundaries of Jazz and how they have influenced nearly all of the current day (successful) progressive Jazz bands out there.
« Last Edit: 20 Jan 2008, 12:50 am by Scott F. »

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #15 on: 19 Jan 2008, 04:50 pm »

You might like these then...try the samples...

Brad Mehldau .... Places

Joshua Redman.....Wish

Charles Lloyd.... Jumping the Creek

MaxCast

« Reply #16 on: 19 Jan 2008, 05:38 pm »
Tomasz Stanko Quartet - Soul of Things

I love the titles of those tracks...exactly the way I relate to instrumentals.  :lol:

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #17 on: 19 Jan 2008, 05:46 pm »

You might like these then...try the samples...

Brad Mehldau .... Places

Joshua Redman.....Wish

Charles Lloyd.... Jumping the Creek

I beg to differ. Charles Lloyd doesn't seem to fall in the smooth/light jazz category. :nono: :?

--Roy :)

mjosef

« Reply #18 on: 19 Jan 2008, 05:52 pm »
Not quite a big fan of BadPlus, but have seen them live and have a few of their albums. Not really light/smooth jazz, they sorta fall into the (light) acid jazz bracket (IMO)when they first came out.  At that time I favored SoulLive over them, still do to some extent.
Lots of recommendations by others here for some good music, many/most not 'lite' or smooth jazz...I usually stay away from smoothjazzanythingrelatedthreads.

jackthecat

« Reply #19 on: 30 Jan 2008, 07:52 am »
Sorry guys I have not commented on what albums to recommend and certainly cant improve on what been shared about EST. I have Somewhere Else Before and will definitely be going to look for more. I tend not to like the Sax . In fact I can really hate the sax. Joe Lovano I can enjoy but not much else. Used to love trumpet more than I do now as well , so you see my views are very personal and I don't feel I can give pointers to anyone . I happen to like the piano trio, the guitar trio, even the organ trio and anything around all of those. Ill keep searching as I know I  have lots to find still and hopefully you all do too. :D