The Death of High Fidelity

jcpix

The Death of High Fidelity
« on: 16 Jan 2008, 11:50 pm »

The title of this Rolling Stone article says it all.  A long, but good read. 

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/17777619/the_death_of_high_fidelity

nathanm

Re: The Death of High Fidelity
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jan 2008, 04:13 am »
The thing that really gets my goat more than usual about this old chestnut is the fact that they are raping the PAST as well as the future.  I can sort of accept being hesitant about buying new stuff because it will be crushed to high heaven, but remastering and consequently overcompressing OLD shit is an abomination.  Talk about pulling a George Lucas...damn!  If you've got old tapes or vinyl that's worn out and you wanna get it on CD again you won't be able to, the old version is dead, now you've got this crunchy piece of crap updated based on the flawed thinking of the modern era.  Or even so, if you've never heard an old album but always wanted to, then you find out they've re-released it with "remastered" being a key marketing phrase.  As if that was a good thing!  So you can't even revisit the good 'ol days, they've snatched it away from you and slapped on a new coat of garish paint.

Yeah, let's just take all the art and music of the past and update it with modern technology just BECAUSE WE CAN, right?  Ooh I've got a new computer toy!  Let's use it!  Let's get some of that old stuff and run it through my new toy! Oh boy it's so loud!  The VU meters are pegged and not even moving!  It's so cool!  Oh what's this?  Now we have 36 channel surround?! Oh boy let's run that old crap album through my new toy!  I know, let's scan the Mona Lisa and apply the Plastic Wrap filter in Photoshop, I mean we CAN do it now!  It's BETTER!  Everything new is good, let's constantly update stuff!  Yay!

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #2 on: 17 Jan 2008, 04:54 am »
I know, let's scan the Mona Lisa and apply the Plastic Wrap filter in Photoshop, I mean we CAN do it now!  It's BETTER!  Everything new is good, let's constantly update stuff!  Yay!

Oh no :duh:.....too late for Mona Lisa :shake:...they got to her already.... :cry:

SET Man

« Reply #3 on: 17 Jan 2008, 05:00 pm »
Hey!

Thanks for the link. Good read for sure but kindna sad and sicken me  :evil:

But at least a big magazine that involve around music is taking notice on this subject. Of course this is nothing new to us. On my system a highly compressed track just sound lifeless. Sometime I wish I could go smack the head of producer and sound engineer for that. :roll:

Tt is not just the producer and sound engineer that need to blame on. The artists also should be blame too. Because they let those SOBs dumbbing down their works.  :evil:

Anyway, maybe there is still hope... not much but maybe a little. I think the more people learn about it the better.

Well, maybe now I should spend more time at used vinyl record stores now and get those old albums as there were meant to be heard :wink:

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

AB

« Reply #4 on: 17 Jan 2008, 05:12 pm »
Can't someone build a "filter" to uncompress these files? I know nothing about how this could be done or if it can be done but if it could be done I have a few CDs I would apply it to - Foo Fighters latest, Editors last two, Interpols latest.

nathanm

« Reply #5 on: 17 Jan 2008, 05:28 pm »

Looks like somebody forgot to clone out that mysterious neck hair...eww!"

SET Man

« Reply #6 on: 17 Jan 2008, 05:31 pm »
Can't someone build a "filter" to uncompress these files? I know nothing about how this could be done or if it can be done but if it could be done I have a few CDs I would apply it to - Foo Fighters latest, Editors last two, Interpols latest.

Hey!

Sadly no :?

Oh! the other thing I forgot to mention. I can't believe that most people actually believe that MP3 sound like the original CD! What's gives? How can something that is now less than original will sound the same as the original? Are most consumer stupid or what?  :scratch:

I've always find MP3 scheme fishy from the start and I've never listen to MP3 or have anything on MP3. Actually I don't even own an iPod yet  :icon_lol: But if I do own one it won't be filled with MP3 files for sure  :nono:

Take care,

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #7 on: 17 Jan 2008, 06:07 pm »

Actually, Yes... although I've never tried it.

http://www.harmony-central.com/Effects/Articles/Expansion/

http://www.audioinvest.no/dbx/products/dbx4bx.htm

Dave

SET Man

« Reply #8 on: 17 Jan 2008, 06:20 pm »

Dave

Hey!

Good luck with those. This so called dynamic expansion things have been around for a while.  I've never tried them but I don't think they work and that's why I said no. Well, I'm no expert maybe others will in fill in on this :D

Of course this is a bit of off topic here.

Do a search on eBay and maybe you could pick one like those from Pioneer, dbx and etc.

Take care,

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #9 on: 17 Jan 2008, 06:28 pm »
Buddy, its hard to say what the lesser evil is as I'm sure the dbx won't do anything good to the sq. It would be interesting to burn a dynamically expanded copy of a cd and compare it to the original. I have no idea if it would actually be an improvement.

Dave

amadeus916

• Aperion Audio
« Reply #10 on: 17 Jan 2008, 08:33 pm »

Dave

Interesting idea...not sure how great it would sound after a music file had already been processed and the dynamics of the song altered, but it would be interesting to look into...I run a pro tools rig at home and never really use an Expander before...Might be time to try!