Thelonius Monk...

WilliamL

Thelonius Monk...
« on: 28 Sep 2003, 11:49 pm »
Damn!

I forgot how GOOD this motherf*cker was!!!!!

I go for like 5 years withoutu listening to Monk and then I pop in one of his discs and its like I can't listen to anything else for weeks...

Maybe one day I will have to pick up that Riverside set that has all the fancy remastering and liner notes. Anybody got it?

Cheers,
Bill

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Thelonius Monk...
« Reply #1 on: 29 Sep 2003, 12:01 am »
What's a good place to start w/Monk?  I've been told that "Straight No Chaser" is a great record, and I see it's been out on SACD for awhile.  I'd prefer to buy SACD/DVD-A whenever possible.

bob82274

Thelonius Monk...
« Reply #2 on: 29 Sep 2003, 01:59 am »
"Straight, No Chaser" is the only Monk album I own and its great.  Sadly I havn't been able to use my SACD player as much as I would like due to some issues that I am having.  I have a bunch of SACD only albums that I havn't been able to play in a month and I wish that wern't so.

WilliamL

Thelonius Monk...
« Reply #3 on: 17 Mar 2004, 02:00 am »
More Monk...

Sony Music has remastered all of Monk's stuff he did with Columbia and JR Music World is selling them for $6.99. A SCREAMING DEAL here in NYC.

I imagine they are on sale other places too. Picked up Straight no Chaser and Undergroud today.

Also, for you classical fans. Sony has put on big time sale their Expanded Masters recordings at select retail outlets. Check it out!

http://www.masterworksexpandededition.com/

Again... $6.99 per disc today.  :P  :P

PhilNYC

Thelonius Monk...
« Reply #4 on: 17 Mar 2004, 03:43 am »
Brilliant Corners is a must-have for Monk...

WilliamL

Thelonius Monk...
« Reply #5 on: 17 Mar 2004, 04:26 am »
Got that covered. In fact, I have just about all of Monk's stuff. He remains my favorite jazz musician and personality. I used to be obsessed with Monk. Right up there at the top also for me is Miles, Brubeck, Horace Silver (maybe tied with Monk), Billie Holiday, Ben Webster, Mingus,  Amad Jamal, Wynton....oh man....there are so many....

BTW
I never could stomach Louis Armstrong too much.

:|

Daniel

Thelonius Monk...
« Reply #6 on: 17 Mar 2004, 04:37 am »
I'm a huge Monk fan.  I live for Monk and have the complete Riverside collection.  Its on cd's and the masterings are less spectacular than the music.  Brilliant Corners is rightfully ranked as one of his best recordings.  I'm partial to the Riverside recording with John Coltrane.  Pure Monk is my favorite solo recording.

Tonto Yoder

Thelonius Monk...
« Reply #7 on: 17 Mar 2004, 11:55 am »
Quote from: Bill Laurent
Got that covered. In fact, I have just about all of Monk's stuff. He remains my favorite jazz musician and personality. I used to be obsessed with Monk. Right up there at the top also for me is Miles, Brubeck, Horace Silver (maybe tied with Monk), Billie Holiday, Ben Webster, Mingus,  Amad Jamal, Wynton....oh man....there are so many....
:|

Bill,
just one note of dissension from the peanut gallery--I'm not a big Monk fan and just want to point out to any potential Monkies that Thelonius CAN have an odd, angular approach to playing the piano that might not appeal to everyone.  He's certainly quite different than Brubeck and Jamal (who seem to appeal to a wider range of audience).  Might be a bit similar to Miles and Mingus in that he can be VERY palatable sometimes (even qualifying for a Smooth Jazz radio station) while being a bit "out there" at other times.

This ISN'T to discourage Circle members from checking out Monk!! Just be careful doing so: it might be  like someone looking for Miles' KOB and ending up with "Bitches Brew" and being disappointed (and consequently dismissing Miles??)
Maybe newbies should start with "Straight" and "Corners" ????

Inscrutable

• http://home.earthlink.net/~inscrutabl/index.html
Thelonius Monk...
« Reply #8 on: 17 Mar 2004, 12:37 pm »
Yesterday, I picked up the 4 Men With Beards issue of "Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers with Thelonius Monk".  This will be my first real exposure, and I can't wait to get back home to spin it!

truant

More Monk
« Reply #9 on: 22 Mar 2004, 02:37 am »
up there with STRAIGHT NO CHASER and BRILLIANT CORNERS I'd put MONK'S MUSIC. It also rates as one of the best album covers.

hifitommy

Thelonius Monk...straight-no chaser
« Reply #10 on: 28 Mar 2004, 10:48 pm »
Quote from: Bill Laurent
Damn!

I forgot how GOOD this motherf*cker was!!!!!

I go for like 5 years withoutu listening to Monk and then I pop in one of his discs and its like I can't listen to anything else for weeks...

Maybe one day I will have to pick up that Riverside set that has all the fancy remastering and liner notes. Anybody got it?

Cheers,
Bill

recently got this on sacd.  vinyl quality with digital quiet, except for the original tape hiss.  cant get the vinyl in that cond for that money.  ah um is likewise.  both great perfs, both good to get on sacd.  

another disc to check is-carmen sings monk.  another way to enjoy monk.

Tbadder1

Thelonius Monk...
« Reply #11 on: 29 Mar 2004, 06:28 pm »
Spend the bucks!  Get the complete Bluenote recordings!  And you're right--he's motherf@#king good

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
Thelonius Monk...
« Reply #12 on: 29 Mar 2004, 06:42 pm »
Monk's music is full of humour and simplicity yet really complex. I was listening to Bob Parlocha the other day and he said he fell to the ground laughing the first time he heard "Misterioso".