3:10 To Yuma - My Vote 4 Stars

Bigfish

3:10 To Yuma - My Vote 4 Stars
« on: 15 Jan 2008, 01:24 pm »
My wife and I watched 3:10 to Yuma last night and we both thought it was a great movie.  Russell Crowe and Christian Bale both gave great performances.  I highly recommend you rent this one!

Ken

TomS

Re: 3:10 To Yuma - My Vote 4 Stars
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jan 2008, 01:36 pm »
We had no idea about this movie at all.  My family isn't too keen on the violence and profanity that infests most movies these days, but my wife actually pulled this one off the Blockbuster shelf the other night (along with a couple chick flicks - uh).  We really loved this movie.  It was fun in a classic western sort of way with plenty of interesting sub themes as well.  A must see in my book.

Tom

launche

• ...on being an audiophile...no.
« Reply #2 on: 15 Jan 2008, 02:58 pm »
I saw this the other day as really enjoyed it.
Mr. Christian Bale is just a damn fine actor, one of the best and most underrated young actors we have today.  He is building a nice body of work.  I have yet to see him in something I haven't appreciated his role in.  Good film, especially if you like westerns but it's genre is just a backdrop for wonderful storytelling.

Another one of those films that reminds me how much goes into making a movie and how we should try to support the artform as much as possible, moreso the non-hollywood designed blockbusters.   

mjosef

« Reply #3 on: 16 Jan 2008, 03:28 am »
I have 3:10 next in my queue at Nexflx, it says 'long wait', but am looking forward to seeing Bale and Crowe together, two of my favorite actors. And I too think Bale is a very good actor...in the Machinist he was perfect, a very gripping and cerebral performance.

2bigears

« Reply #4 on: 16 Jan 2008, 04:10 am »
 :D hey,.my wife gave it a thumbs-up too.After she went to bed i watched Joshua,and that was in the tradition of really-really bad movies hollyweed is pumping out lately.That's a whole other thread. :duh:

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 17 Jan 2008, 04:28 am »
I saw it in the theater and was blown away.  Having never seen the original I didn't really know the entire story, but it's one of the best westerns I've ever seen.  Crowe is superb in it and Bale is one of the greatest actors working today.  Absolutely a must see! :thumb:

topround

« Reply #6 on: 17 Jan 2008, 11:02 am »
I agree. Great movie. I asked the guy at the video rental place about it and he said it was a must see.
Christian Bale excells at all his roles, he truly is great. And Crowe was great as well, he usually is.

JoshK

« Reply #7 on: 17 Jan 2008, 06:14 pm »
I saw it in the theater and was blown away.  Having never seen the original I didn't really know the entire story, but it's one of the best westerns I've ever seen.  Crowe is superb in it and Bale is one of the greatest actors working today.  Absolutely a must see! :thumb:

I thought it was overall a pretty good movie and I enjoyed it.  I thought there were some nagging questions that could have been protrayed a bit better, like the reason why one character starts cooperating with another (trying not to give anything away).  However, I totally agree that the acting is superb!  The other main bad guy is likely to get some work for his stellar performance (I have no idea who he is).

Every movie I've seen with Bale lately has given me a deeper and deeper respect for his acting ability.  The one movie where he can't remember stuff and is super skinny just amazed me how much he was willing to go for the movie.

WGH

« Reply #8 on: 17 Jan 2008, 07:42 pm »
I saw the original just a month before this latest version. Even though Crowe's and Bale's acting is superb and make the movie, do yourself a favor and rent the original, you will be blown away by how much better it is.

Has anyone read the Elmore Leonard story this movie was adapted from? Not wanting to give away any spoilers, but the two endings are different and I was wondering which is truer to Leonard's intent.

Wayne

launche

• ...on being an audiophile...no.
« Reply #9 on: 17 Jan 2008, 08:22 pm »
Yes he's Ben Foster and he can play a crazed man EXTREMELY well, scares me.  I even saw him in some movie with Justin Timberlake and I wanted no part of that guy, psycho.
In Yuma, he played it more mellow but that guy can get wired up. He's got those crazy eyes.

Matt__P

« Reply #10 on: 17 Jan 2008, 08:25 pm »
 He was in that vampire movie with Josh Hartnett,,,,30 days of night or something? I thought he was the best part of that movie.
He'll be big time soon.
He kinda looks like a mean and crazy version of Owen Wilson

Folsom

« Reply #11 on: 18 Jan 2008, 05:24 am »
He is not that young. He was also in American Psycho, Equilibrium, Batman Begins, The Prestige, Rescue Dawn to name a few . The very skinny one was The Machinist.

The only part of the movie I was pretty dissatisfied with was once when Christian shot a guy and he went flying a little. The rest of the gun fight interaction was very realistic.

Jim N.

• Who you callin' an audiophile?????
« Reply #12 on: 18 Jan 2008, 07:16 am »
He is not that young. He was also in American Psycho, Equilibrium, Batman Begins, The Prestige, Rescue Dawn to name a few . The very skinny one was The Machinist.

The only part of the movie I was pretty dissatisfied with was once when Christian shot a guy and he went flying a little. The rest of the gun fight interaction was very realistic.

Bale also started very young, playing the main character in "Empire of the Sun" from 1987.

Jim N.

• Who you callin' an audiophile?????
« Reply #13 on: 18 Jan 2008, 07:18 am »
Yes he's Ben Foster and he can play a crazed man EXTREMELY well, scares me.  I even saw him in some movie with Justin Timberlake and I wanted no part of that guy, psycho.
In Yuma, he played it more mellow but that guy can get wired up. He's got those crazy eyes.

Foster does play crazies very well. So does Crowe, as evidenced by his character Hando in "Romper Stomper". Now that was one scary role....

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 18 Jan 2008, 11:10 am »

Bale also started very young, playing the main character in "Empire of the Sun" from 1987.

He was child when he made that one, also the year I graduated.  Since I'm not old, he must be young! :lol:

Folsom

« Reply #15 on: 18 Jan 2008, 05:12 pm »
Michael Cera is a young actor, with a lot of experience under his belt (mostly not in high dollar box office but his last several are).

Ears

« Reply #16 on: 18 Jan 2008, 10:18 pm »
I liked this movie in theaters but seeing it the second time some how made the story better than the first viewing.
I like Bale but felt Crowe stole the show in this one.
Of course the 7.1 channel uncompressed PCM soundtrack and 1080p picture on Blu-ray didn't hurt either.

mjosef

« Reply #17 on: 31 Jan 2008, 02:00 am »
Very good movie...however I couldn't help feeling that they pulled their punches with the ending, very 'Hollywood' goody feely conclusion, totally out of character for the outlaw. Fine acting by all concerned...good to see Peter Fonda in the saddle again.
4 Stars will be generous.

maxwalrath

« Reply #18 on: 31 Jan 2008, 02:14 am »
Very good movie...however I couldn't help feeling that they pulled their punches with the ending, very 'Hollywood' goody feely conclusion, totally out of character for the outlaw.

SPOILER ALERT

...he knew he was gonna escape from the train, so no real harm done going with Bale.  it wasn't too Hollywood when Bale bit it..

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #19 on: 31 Jan 2008, 08:07 am »
Very good movie...however I couldn't help feeling that they pulled their punches with the ending, very 'Hollywood' goody feely conclusion, totally out of character for the outlaw. Fine acting by all concerned...good to see Peter Fonda in the saddle again.
4 Stars will be generous.

I think his actions were inevitable, given his interactions with Dan.  He knew he wasn't going to hand (ie he knew he could get off the train, plus he'd been to that prison twice and had twice escaped.  My own feeling is that he was exposed to another kind of word and a different kind of honor, one that changed him.