Toshiba HD-DVD - Price Drop

JDK1

Toshiba HD-DVD - Price Drop
« on: 14 Jan 2008, 09:16 pm »
Based upon headlines that I saw at AVSForum: Toshiba Throws a Hail Mary to Save HD DVD
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=977395.

Toshiba Press Release on 1/13/08: http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/news/newsarticle.asp?newsid=194
TOSHIBA DEPLOYS NEW HD DVD MARKETING INITIATIVES BASED ON STRONG FOURTH QUARTER UNIT SALES

Excerpt: New Marketing Strategy for Mass Market Adoption

Taking the holiday season sales based on promotional prices into full consideration, these new manufacturer’s suggested retail prices (MSRP) are designed to meet the potential demand for HD DVD players in the US market. Effective on January 13, 2008 the MSRP  of the entry-model HD-A3 will be $149.99, the HD-A30, with 1080p output, $199.99, and the high-end HD-A35, $299.99.

“While price is one of the consideration elements for the early adopter, it is a deal-breaker for the mainstream consumer,” said Yoshi Uchiyama, Group Vice President Digital A/V Group. “Consumer sales this holiday season have proven that the consumer awareness of the HD DVD format has been elevated and pricing is the most critical determinant in consumer’s purchase decision of the next generation HD DVD technology.  The value HD DVD provides to the consumer simply cannot be ignored.”

Just thought I would let the Cicle know (but they probably already do...)
- Jonathan

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Re: Toshiba HD-DVD - Price Drop
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jan 2008, 07:28 am »
It doesn't matter how cheap the players get if there's nothing to watch on it.  IIRC there's only 2 studios exclusive to HD-DVD now, and Microsoft has even hinted that it may incorporate Sony's Bluray if enough users want it.  Barring a miracle comeback HD-DVD is dead in the water, and the vultures are circling...

MaxCast

« Reply #2 on: 17 Jan 2008, 12:32 pm »
I forget where I read an article about the advantages and disadvantages of each.  I think it was a HT mag.  Anyway, it seemed to be that HD DVD was a no brainer.  :scratch:  ...with out taking into account source material.

samplesj

« Reply #3 on: 17 Jan 2008, 12:57 pm »
For people that don't have a good upsampler this is still a good deal.  Even if the HD DVD format dies tomorrow you still have a good upsampler for cheap and of course any HD DVDs you pick up on clearance will play just fine.

HD-A3 for $132     (1080i)
or
HD-A30 for $171   (1080p)

acresm22

« Reply #4 on: 26 Feb 2008, 05:51 pm »
HD-DVD as a format is dead, but the Tosh players still make good standard and upconverting DVD players. And the HD-D3 (same as the HD-A3) is now priced at $79 at Costco, and comes with 2 HD-DVDs (Bourne 1 and 2) in the box. Pretty good deal.