Merv's burled walnut 1801's

jsalk

Merv's burled walnut 1801's
« on: 12 Jan 2008, 06:10 pm »
Merv wanted a pair of Ellis 1801's in burled walnut.  I had some on hand and went right to work on them.  Merv also wanted cardas binding posts, grills and Sonicap Platinum bypass caps.  So we obliged.

Here are some pics...

And here's a close up...

Happy listening Merv!

- Jim

bkatbamna

Re: Merv's burled walnut 1801's
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jan 2008, 06:47 pm »
Great looks very nice.  Enjoy.

mdnocum

« Reply #2 on: 13 Jan 2008, 07:04 am »
Jim,

Thanks for the pictures. They look absolutely beautiful and if they sound as good as they look, I will sure be one very happy camper.
Also, I want to thank you for your excellent customer service through out this process and prompt responses to all of my of questions.

Merv   :hyper:

cdorval1

« Reply #3 on: 7 Feb 2008, 02:08 am »
Merv brought these over weekend before last, and it was a privilege to see and hear them.  The burled walnot is a very handsome veneer, and the workmanship, as always, was top-notch.

We set them up next to my HT3s and listened for a while to each.  The 1801s were very impressive indeed.  Detailed and natural with superb imaging and surprisingly tight and full bass.

They compared favorably with the HT3s.  There is a similarity to the sound, I assume since they use the same midrange driver.  As you would expect with a much bigger 3-way design, the HT3s were considerably more open and dynamic than the 1801s.  But it's hard to imagine how you could do better in a stand-mounted design.

Equipment used: AVA 550exr5, AVA Transcendence 8, AVA Ultra DAC, NAD 5000 for CD Transport.

Craig

jsalk

« Reply #4 on: 7 Feb 2008, 03:35 am »
Craig -

The other reason they sound like they are from the same family is that both speakers feature Dennis Murphy crossovers and Dennis is quite consistent in terms of voicing speakers.

A little history...

The 1801's were the first speaker I built using the Seas Excel W18.  I fell in love with this driver.  I later built another design using the G2 ribbon tweeter.  While it was a nice speaker, I thought that the combination of the W18 and the G2 would be more appropriate and a marriage mkade in heaven. 

I had a discussion with Dennis Murphy about this potential combination and the Veracity HT1's were born.  The HT3's were a logical extension of the concept.

And that's how it all happened.

- Jim

darredon

« Reply #5 on: 7 Feb 2008, 06:39 am »
These speakers have made me so mad :evil:, I’ve had to reevaluate my system and wonder why my speakers aren’t giving me the same love Mev’s are giving him. Merv and I are good friends. I remember we went into one of our local High end audio stores and were talking to the sales guy and we mentioned that Merv was buying some Ellis 1801’s from SALK Sound. He gave us a funny look and said “Who” and then “why would you buy a speaker without listening to it?”  Merv said ‘I’ve read a lot of good reviews in Audio Circle about them and I’ve done the research, I just have faith their going to be good. I have to say I was skeptical also, but very curious as well, plus it wasn’t my money. Well Merv’s faith has led him to the sweet spot of Audio Heaven. These speakers blew me away. We were listening to a live concert of Bob Marley and for the first time I heard people in the crowd that I’ve never heard before. I don’t mean the obvious crowd noise, I’m talking about someone way way waaaaay in the back of the crowd, last row or something,  I swear you could hear a person cough and then yell “wooooooooooo”. I think that’s the first time I can say I felt speakers melt away and put you right there in the concert. Well that’s not actually the first time, there was another time but it involved a bottle of Johnny Walker Red and I try to forget that night. Anyway, I’ve heard this CD many times on my own system but I’ve never heard it like this. What kind of voodoo is Salk putting into these speakers? :o I was so bent and twisted over these speakers after hearing them I ran home, put the same cd on and just got frustrated that I was not getting that sweet honey sound Merv is getting. Well with that said the next day I opened a SALK speaker saving account. I was lost but now I’m SALK found. Hopefully next year I will be able to place my order for some SALK speakers of my own aa.

PS- We also went to Craig house to listen to the HT3’s – Mind blowing the HT3’s blew several brain cells. I’m totally addicted to the SALK sound. I’m just a walking zombie now. Thanks SALK.

System  VAC Avatar Super SE Integrated amp / Gamut CD3 / Von Schweikert VR-1 Monitors / VR-S/1's minisub

BrianM

« Reply #6 on: 7 Feb 2008, 12:44 pm »
What kind of voodoo is Salk putting into these speakers?

To be fair, we are talking about David Ellis' (and Dennis Murphy's) speaker design here, too.  :)  I bought 'em unheard also, having read every word of Dave Ellis' website and then every review at audioreview.com.  The price was right...I spent several months thinking they were just great, and then I finally got serious about placement and room treatments, including finally getting them on the proper (long) wall and setting up/toeing in for near-field.  This allowed a pretty neat disappearing act.

Good luck with your new Salk account!  (Maybe don't put it in the stock market...)  The irrational kid in me would no doubt love to be saving for another speaker upgrade; trouble is, my sensible wife hears perfectly well, and there's no real comeback to her "Why would you need any more speaker than this?"  So that's what I have to be "mad" about I guess...

carusoracer

« Reply #7 on: 7 Feb 2008, 12:52 pm »
These speakers have made me so mad :evil:, I’ve had to reevaluate my system and wonder why my speakers aren’t giving me the same love Mev’s are giving him. Merv and I are good friends. I remember we went into one of our local High end audio stores and were talking to the sales guy and we mentioned that Merv was buying some Ellis 1801’s from SALK Sound. He gave us a funny look and said “Who” and then “why would you buy a speaker without listening to it?”  Merv said ‘I’ve read a lot of good reviews in Audio Circle about them and I’ve done the research, I just have faith their going to be good. I have to say I was skeptical also, but very curious as well, plus it wasn’t my money. Well Merv’s faith has led him to the sweet spot of Audio Heaven. These speakers blew me away. We were listening to a live concert of Bob Marley and for the first time I heard people in the crowd that I’ve never heard before. I don’t mean the obvious crowd noise, I’m talking about someone way way waaaaay in the back of the crowd, last row or something,  I swear you could hear a person cough and then yell “wooooooooooo”. I think that’s the first time I can say I felt speakers melt away and put you right there in the concert. Well that’s not actually the first time, there was another time but it involved a bottle of Johnny Walker Red and I try to forget that night. Anyway, I’ve heard this CD many times on my own system but I’ve never heard it like this. What kind of voodoo is Salk putting into these speakers? :o I was so bent and twisted over these speakers after hearing them I ran home, put the same cd on and just got frustrated that I was not getting that sweet honey sound Merv is getting. Well with that said the next day I opened a SALK speaker saving account. I was lost but now I’m SALK found. Hopefully next year I will be able to place my order for some SALK speakers of my own aa.

PS- We also went to Craig house to listen to the HT3’s – Mind blowing the HT3’s blew several brain cells. I’m totally addicted to the SALK sound. I’m just a walking zombie now. Thanks SALK.

System  VAC Avatar Super SE Integrated amp / Gamut CD3 / Von Schweikert VR-1 Monitors / VR-S/1's minisub

Great story!!! Good luck to you and Happy Listening Merv!  I bet they would sound realy nice with your rig,very nice.