Rega 2 bargain

Rocket

Rega 2 bargain
« on: 27 Sep 2003, 08:48 am »
Hi guys,

Looks like i've picked up a bargain today.

I went to a friend's house and noticed his rega 2 not being used.  It actually is better than a standard one as it has the rb 300 tonearm included.

I had already spoken to him about my Nad Av receiver 711 which i wanted to sell for $150.00au.  We agreed on a swap and i have picked up his turntable at a bargain price.  My nad is in mint condition so he should be happy whilst his rega is in reasonable condition.  The lid has many scratches and swirl marks.

Anyway i'm wrapped as i have previously had the turntable in my system and it is quite good especially with the rb300 tonearm.  Many years ago i had a rega 2 but with rb250 tonearm and the damn thing fed back all the time.

All i need to do now is buy a reasonable phono stage.  I recently sold my nad phono stage as it sucked.

regards

rocket

Malcolm Fear

Rega 2 bargain
« Reply #1 on: 27 Sep 2003, 09:11 am »
The NAD PP-2 phono is getting good reviews. And it is cheap.
You can lad one from Cheshire Audio in England for about $130 (Aust)

Rocket

rega 2 bargain
« Reply #2 on: 27 Sep 2003, 09:23 am »
hi malcolm,

after my last experience with the nad phono stage i'll probably pass.  this is the older version of the phono stage from a year or 2 ago.  not the latest version btw the nad pp1 had pretty reasonable reviews from what i read.

it sounded flat, dull and boring.  i should never have sold my very old cambridge audio integrated, the phono stage was excellent.

I'm going to check out a kit from hagerman tech, probably look at their battery powered phono as this can be placed in my preamp.

regards

rocket

Beezer

Rega 2 bargain
« Reply #3 on: 27 Sep 2003, 12:11 pm »
I tried that NAD phono (with Rega P3 and Dynavector cartridge) and would have to concur with Rocket.  The Creek was better in my system.  There are a bunch of <$200 contenders out there, but I don't know much about them...

Beez

Tonto Yoder

Rega 2 bargain
« Reply #4 on: 27 Sep 2003, 12:16 pm »
Rocket,
I remember you mentioned the expense of shipping & customs when importing gear into Australia--do you get some kind of break on DIY stuff like the Hagerman?? Seems like you might be able to access the necessary parts down under while just paying taxes/shipping on the minimally expensive Hagerman circuit boards.

Rocket

hi
« Reply #5 on: 28 Sep 2003, 02:44 am »
hi tonto,

if it is a small package and only $100 - 200 au value it seems to get thru customs unnoticed.  i think the taxes kicks in at about $500 au and you are then hit with a customs fee and 10% gst.  it certainly adds up.

i could buy the hagerman bugle as a half kit and i'm looking at that.

best wishes

rocket