the most you really need to spend on a cdp ????

doug s.

• makin' music
Re: the most you really need to spend on a cdp ????
« Reply #80 on: 11 Jan 2008, 01:45 pm »
:D  new Vette ZR-1,that's where the smart $$ goes.640hp is all you need in a vette street car.Back to audio,i was just wondering on an upgrade from the GNSC Opus21,and how best to do it with a weee bit of common sence behind the move which would be new world for me :lol: :D

well, for a point of reference, i have never heard gnsc's work, or the opus, but the resolution audio cd-50/55 are players (as well as electrocompaniet's emc1-24/192) that went directly head-to-head w/my modded di/o, & it was a toss-up, & this was without the di/o & its transport both on isolated power supplies, & before i installed riken ohm resistors in my di/o.  the owner of the cd-50 has since upgraded to the opus, but he said its sonic differences were miniscule; he did it more for aesthetics.  (i have not heard it, so this is second-hand info.)

Quote from: miklorsmith
No matter how much you spend on your digi, the differences will be miniscule compared to your new speakers.

that's been my point exactly; i couldn't have said it better myself!   :green:

doug s.

martyo

« Reply #81 on: 11 Jan 2008, 01:50 pm »
I agree with BrianM. I use a $90 Sony DVD, my brother uses a $50 Phillips. I might add that I had to be convinced that 1), I needed a DAC, and 2), that the price of the AVA Ultra was justified. I never new all the music was there on those Cd's. A DAC has 2 sections. Once it "properly" converts to analog there is still the line stage. In the Ultra it is basically the line stage from the Ultra Preamp. As Brian said, "muscular and musical". None of that dryness and grain that is pretty prevalent these days in Hi-end or at least it was to my wifes' and my ears at RMAF.

Wait until you get your speakers, settle in,  then move on to lesser conquests.  No matter how much you spend on your digi, the differences will be miniscule compared to your new speakers.

Generally I agree with this approach. I went the other way after using my brothers Transcendence DAC for a month. I bought the Ultra DAC and a few months later the Salk HT3's. Those speakers are pretty highly thought of around here, very revealing, but my experience was far from miniscule. It's an awesome piece of gear. FWIW

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #82 on: 11 Jan 2008, 02:56 pm »
Barry is right....slow down.....don't let your pocket catch fire.
After your speakers arrive....you'll have a better idea on what you need to get that synergy....
Pat....a number of people have mentioned this already...take their advice....slow down.....and wait for your speakers to arrive.

Its not a race.... :wink:

2bigears

« Reply #83 on: 11 Jan 2008, 04:09 pm »
:D  thks all who is lendind a hand,all advice is noted.From what i am hearing,all i really want to do now is a weee bit of an experiment with a two box system of a cost of 2 large.Franks ultra with a low dollar spinner.The 30k dollar cdp is for rich people only,we all know that game,sucker born every minute.Frank mentioned most one box cdp's don't do it right with the conversion parts being real cheap.This is all news to me.I can test the results with two modded 5k dollar players i have in house.Not sure if Frank has a return policy,but this is a low dollar venture.One thing that still gets me in this approach is why are dac's priced from 1500 to 15000.Is that the rich boy audio jewelry stuff again???? thks guys. :D

miklorsmith

« Reply #84 on: 11 Jan 2008, 04:12 pm »
Folks with big time systems somehow justify the cost increase to really expensive digital.  I would be surprised if *all* of them do it for visual aesthetics and bragging rights.

Believe it or not, being wealthy doesn't make one more gullible or stupid.

BrianM

« Reply #85 on: 11 Jan 2008, 04:48 pm »
I can test the results with two modded 5k dollar players i have in house.

If you do get Frank's DAC, I'd be interested to know whether you hear any difference feeding it with different players.

Not sure if Frank has a return policy,but this is a low dollar venture.

AVA has a 30-day "no questions asked" return policy.

One thing that still gets me in this approach is why are dac's priced from 1500 to 15000.Is that the rich boy audio jewelry stuff again???? thks guys. :D

I assume everyone in the audio biz will have a slightly different business model.  It comes down to whom you're marketing your stuff to, along with the overhead (parts, labor, r&d) and dealer costs.  Lotta variables.  Nothing wrong with buying a $15000 DAC if you're convinced you're getting your money's worth.

BrianM

« Reply #86 on: 11 Jan 2008, 04:53 pm »
Folks with big time systems somehow justify the cost increase to really expensive digital.  I would be surprised if *all* of them do it for visual aesthetics and bragging rights.

No, but it offers a built-in incentive to justify spending more money than everyone else.

2bigears

« Reply #87 on: 11 Jan 2008, 05:03 pm »
:D i never meant to slam the wealthy,that's just how i yap.I am going to have to buy a transport as the 2 cdp's i have don't have a digi out.Any recommends?? :D

lonewolfny42

« Reply #88 on: 11 Jan 2008, 05:04 pm »

No, but it offers a built-in incentive to justify spending more money than everyone else.
Reminds me of a poster I've seen.....link...... :lol:

miklorsmith

« Reply #89 on: 11 Jan 2008, 05:05 pm »
Hey, that's my pops!   :D

I had the CEC TL-51X transport here for a bit - it's built like a freaking tank, includes a superclock input, and runs about $1,300.  It's a superb piece of engineering regardless of price.  I think the full player version is about $1,600.

2bigears

« Reply #90 on: 11 Jan 2008, 05:16 pm »
 :D Chris,good one.Seen that one before,always good for a laugh.I was thinking a transport was a couple hundred bucks???? Do you need to go 1500 on one of those???? I quess ya get what ya pay for,buy used one for sure.!!!! :D

martyo

« Reply #91 on: 11 Jan 2008, 05:33 pm »
A couple of weeks ago I bought a Sony DVP-NS77H DVD player. Has your digital out, plus HDMI, component, s-video, and standard outputs. $89 at Costco or Best Buy. It feeds my AVA Ultra DAC and tele.

saisunil

« Reply #92 on: 11 Jan 2008, 05:34 pm »
If on budget - just pick up the latest oppo dvd player ~ $200.
You get to play all formats with good audio.

If you love this player but would like to get much better sound and video out from it - just send it to Paul at Tube Research Labs for $700 - you'll have a world class digital audio / video source under $1000

If you are really serious about 2 channel only - you can get a TRL modded player for ~ $1500 and for $700 more you get it off the AC for a battery mod. Some say - it is as good as it gets.

I have a TRL modded sony 900 - now I am looking to get a battery mod.

Happy New Year
Sunil

lonewolfny42

« Reply #93 on: 11 Jan 2008, 05:38 pm »
I was thinking a transport was a couple hundred bucks????
If you want....as a cheap transport....try an Oppo. Did hear one paired up with an Altmann Dac....sounded pretty good. Another cheap transport....a used Sony 7700.

But I still say....wait till your speakers arrive.

Your out in the boon docks Pat...(don't take that the wrong way)....isn't there at least one Hi-Fi dealer close ? And maybe that dealer can turn you on to other audiophile's that may be close by. You can hear different things this way. I'm lucky....the Rave group is here...and we hear plenty... :D

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #94 on: 11 Jan 2008, 05:55 pm »
buy this one - i mentioned it before.  hurry, before i decide i wanna try it!   :lol:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=48185.0

doug s.
:D Chris,good one.Seen that one before,always good for a laugh.I was thinking a transport was a couple hundred bucks???? Do you need to go 1500 on one of those???? I quess ya get what ya pay for,buy used one for sure.!!!! :D

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
    • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #95 on: 11 Jan 2008, 07:08 pm »
Stock used Sony DVP-900 estimate $150, send to TubeResearchLab.com (TRL)
 for all-SS upgrade, about $800, have never heard anything better, A-B'd up to $18k Meitner 2-box CDP. 

2bigears

« Reply #96 on: 11 Jan 2008, 08:24 pm »
 :D  O-no,i should not of phoned phoned a friend,Steve's got me on his T&A D-10. I do like the brand name though,how can you not like it!!!!  must listen to Chris and resist,but on the other hand,gotta keep the economy rollin'  :lol:
« Last Edit: 11 Jan 2008, 08:37 pm by 2bigears »