the most you really need to spend on a cdp ????

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Re: the most you really need to spend on a cdp ????
« Reply #20 on: 9 Jan 2008, 06:05 am »
:D  thks guys,will take her slow.Dang computers :lol: Time for research.... :D
Also....check 6moons....Modwright Transporter review.... :thumb:

link..... http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/modwright3/transporter.html

GHM

« Reply #21 on: 9 Jan 2008, 06:06 am »
That is what so great about PC audio. You can continue to upgrade the software in a PC or Mac. Not the same with a CDP...What you get is what you get. Some claim firmware upgrades ..still nothing like PC though.

The reason for so many dumping players isn't to move up but to move over. Look at how many Dacs are for sale verses CDPs on Agon. 474 CDP verses 162 Dacs.
This is why I suggested HD based..you are safe to swap Dacs without much loss if any.. if you buy right.

The bad thing about electronics..the bottom falls out very quickly. It's falling out much faster on CDPs verses Dacs though.

For example a Benchmark Dac will cost $975.00 new..used they still draw $750 easy. Most CDPs accept for a very few exceptions lose nearly half their value..no matter the cost. I take that back most CDPs are losing 2/3 their original retail. Even a Transporter can be bought new for $1650 and sold used for $1500.

SET Man

« Reply #22 on: 9 Jan 2008, 06:09 am »
Also....check 6moons....Modwright Transporter review.... :thumb:

link..... http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/modwright3/transporter.html

Hey!

That thing looks pretty cool :cool: Dancing blue meter and tubes sticking out on top. What else could you as for? :lol:

Well, of course I tend to like thing with tubes sticking out anyway.  :lol:

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

2bigears

« Reply #23 on: 9 Jan 2008, 06:18 am »
 :D  i was just lookin' at that.Sounds like it can play with the best of them...hummmmm :D  love that glass on top too!!!!

Double Ugly

« Reply #24 on: 9 Jan 2008, 06:19 am »
:D  sounds like pc based gear is making news,and more important,music.Must google for research.... :D
The three you need to talk with....Wayne at Bolder Cable.....Dan at Modwright....and Steve at Empirical Audio.... :thumb:

The man knows whereof he speaks, Pat.  I heartily recommend following his advice.  :thumb:

FWIW, my preference would be -

• Want a Squeezebox?  Talk to Wayne.
  • Want a Transporter (what I have)?  Talk to Dan.

I'll likely be sending my Transporter to Dan soon.  I heard it in Denver, so I have an idea about what I'm getting. 

Just wish I could talk him into using 300Bs.  :lol:

Take care, my friend.  :D

-Jim

2bigears

« Reply #25 on: 9 Jan 2008, 06:22 am »
 :D  hi Jim,how's things??? you have a transport?,why are you shippin' her back to Dan ???? :D

Double Ugly

« Reply #26 on: 9 Jan 2008, 06:31 am »
:D  hi Jim,how's things??? you have a transport?,why are you shippin' her back to Dan ???? :D

Hey, Pat.

Things are going pretty well.  At least I'm out of the sling now.  :D

Not sending it "back" to Dan  It hasn't been there yet, so I don't have the cool tubes sticking out of mine. 

You may want to talk to ted_b about it, too.  He already has one and has posted comments in several threads (here are some of the latest).  It seems to be working well with his maxed-out Revs.  :thumb:

2bigears

« Reply #27 on: 9 Jan 2008, 06:38 am »
 :D thks Jim,that's what Ted is feeding his Rev'w with.?? hummmmm again.Must give Dan a call. thks Pat   :D

lonewolfny42

« Reply #28 on: 9 Jan 2008, 06:39 am »
Jim....Missing that tube glow ?

This might help.......in the short term... :lol:

Double Ugly

« Reply #29 on: 9 Jan 2008, 06:52 am »
:D thks Jim,that's what Ted is feeding his Rev'w with.?? hummmmm again.Must give Dan a call. thks Pat   :D

You're welcome, buddy!  :thumb:

Jim....Missing that tube glow ?

This might help.......in the short term... :lol:

:lol:  I *love* that thing! 

I saw one a long time ago in a rave picture (at Phil's, maybe?).  I wanted one just like it, but I think they were sold out (or maybe don't make it any more... can't remember  :scratch:).

Maybe I'll get this one.  aa

lonewolfny42

« Reply #30 on: 9 Jan 2008, 07:01 am »
Yes Jim....Phil has one...its pretty cool.....and you get the glow without all the tube swapping.... :lol:

rpf

« Reply #31 on: 9 Jan 2008, 07:08 am »
There's no doubt that computer based systems are the wave of the future. Having a lot of CDs (lost count at 3k) and having had problems with more than one hard drive in the past, I'm leery of spending the time to put even some of my collection on a computer, even with back up. I'd prefer to wait until SS memory chips are the main storage medium. Anyone have any idea when that will be?

Not trying to hijack the thread, Pat. Thought you might be interested in the above thought if you also have a lot of CDs.

I'm obviously a fan of Dan's work and love my tube rectified Sony 9100. (The digital pieces that have been through here in the last couple of years include the Exemplar Denon 2900, Ayre CX-7e, Lector CDP-7T, APL Denon 3910, Audio Logic MXL24, and Underwood modded MF Trivista 21). I expect the Modwright will be my last CDP as it does so much right. Yes, the Modwright Transporter is gorgeous and I hope it will grace my system also one day.

Obviously, as Chris pointed out, system synergy is crucial. But do I understand correctly that you have no tubes in your setup now?  :nono: :wink:

Rob

« Last Edit: 9 Mar 2008, 08:51 pm by rpf »

rabpaul

« Reply #32 on: 9 Jan 2008, 07:19 am »
Based on what I have read on the Sonos in Stereophile, its excellent as a transport but the bottom line is still the DAC it will feed. So the question can also be just how much to spend on a DAC?

2bigears

« Reply #33 on: 9 Jan 2008, 07:24 am »
 :D Rob,i have a tube or two in the VAC Sig Mk2 preamp.That softens things a bit.You have 3000 cd's??? holy moly,that's a collection.You say you don't want this transporter type system?? :D

Rocket

« Reply #34 on: 9 Jan 2008, 09:54 am »
Hi Pat,

You could be like me and have spent about $4000au for a pioneer pds 507 (g&d mods) and perpetual technologies p3a (modwright mods) and p1a or simply buy a cambridge audio 840c.  I compared this last week and it was very competitive with my digital system.

Regards

Rod

rpf

« Reply #35 on: 9 Jan 2008, 06:42 pm »
Pat. Yes, the convenience of a computer system would be great but would I ever get out of my chair?   :lol:

some young guy

« Reply #36 on: 9 Jan 2008, 06:55 pm »
while the discussion has turned to transporters, i'll trhough this one in the mix: http://www.aplhifi.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=688 those 32 bit dac chips retrieve a lot of information from 16-24 bit recordings. i've had one in my player here for a little while now and i'm more than impressed.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #37 on: 9 Jan 2008, 09:30 pm »

make me an offer on my art di/o i have listed here f/s, (asking $275, accepting offers), then get any cdp of your liking to use as a transport.  (don't spend more than $500 - i get excellent results w/a cheap 5 disc changer.)  use separate isolation transformers on the dac & transport.  it will come so close to any multi-kilobuck digital playback system, imo, that you're better off spending the extra money elsewhere.

for conwenience, it's hard to beat a computer-based system, tho...

ymmv,

doug s.

:D  Real world people,will 5--6--7 grand do it,top out at 7500 at the most,used is better than good for me.. ???? How much do ya really need to spend on a player to get the majority bang-for-buck.Also,any recommendations would be nice.As now the system stands----Opus 21 GNSC-VAC Ren pre--DNA500-- feeding a set of Bobs Revs MK3 speakers.This buy would be the last for a long-long time  :D  any thoughts thks  Pat

2bigears

« Reply #38 on: 9 Jan 2008, 11:48 pm »
 :D there seems to be 3 ways to go here and that's 2 too many for a digital wannabe?? cdp in a box,,,dac & spinner,,,and transport with hd storage.Man,why is this stuff all over the place???? Is there a clear winner?? I am kinnda thinking a dac with spinner may be something to try.How is it you can use a piece of grap transport and get good sound into dac????Sorry for the dump question,trying to learn a new way?? thks  Pat :D

TomS

« Reply #39 on: 10 Jan 2008, 12:02 am »
Pat,

I've had the Wadia 861SE GNSC, also used it as a DAC, the Opus 21 GNSC, and now the Bolder SB/Burson Buffer.  If I had to keep a CDP, I'd probably sit tight with the Opus 21 and look at some mods.  Myself, I've gone with the SB and never looked back.  Absolutely love it.  Lots of new products coming out from CES in this space so who knows.   The Modwright Transporter also looks to be a fantastic product.  I still miss the sweet sound of the Modwright 999ES Signature that I had.  Any of those would be great, but if I were you, I'd second the idea of keeping the Opus for awhile.  Once you have the Revs, I suspect the source differences will be much more immediately apparent, like it or not ;-) 

Tom