7B-SST Overkill?

yyz

7B-SST Overkill?
« on: 6 Jan 2008, 02:17 am »
Hi,

I have a pair of Revel Salon speakers, which I love, driven by the 7B-SST (upgraded with the "Filter Choke" enhancement mentioned in the Swedish review). I am going to sell my large speakers because of space issues and buy something like the Usher Tiny Dancer speaker. That speaker is a tiny monitor (on stands) with a 'real' sensitivity in the mid-80's. It is a 2-way design. The Revel Salons have 7 drivers per speaker.

My question is what would you do in my situation?

Keep the 7B-SST and use it with the new much smaller speaker
or
Sell the 7B-SST and buy something like a 3B-SST

Thanks in advance.

IronLion

Re: 7B-SST Overkill?
« Reply #1 on: 6 Jan 2008, 02:32 am »
I have no experience with any of the gear mentioned, but my advice would be not to replace any component you have until you hear how the components in your system match up.  Maybe the Usher's will sound great with the 7B, maybe they will sound harsh.  You won't know though until you get them. 

yyz

« Reply #2 on: 6 Jan 2008, 02:38 am »
That is what I would like to do but I have concerns that the 7B-SST could damage the smaller speakers. I know having more power is better than being underpowered but it seems this combination (Usher Tiny Dancer/7B-SST) would be taking it to the extreme.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/usher2/tinydancer.html

IronLion

« Reply #3 on: 6 Jan 2008, 02:45 am »
I've never fried a speaker myself, but I don't think you would fry the Dancer unless you basically blew your eardrums first; that is, if you were playing it loud enough to blow the speaker, you would probably know it. 

john1970

« Reply #4 on: 6 Jan 2008, 03:12 am »
To whom it may concern,

KEPP THE 7B-SST AMPS!  Most speakers are damaged when an amplifier clips so in theory it is difficult to have too much power.  Moreover, you might purchase a new set of speakers years from now that would require the power and current delivery of the 7B-SST. 

Good luck,

John

rabpaul

« Reply #5 on: 6 Jan 2008, 04:07 am »
The reviewer at 6Moons preferred his 500W amp so really the 7BSST would not be out of place.
Enter the max power of your speakers and see what dB levels this url approximates.
http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html
I entered 400W which is the recommended maximum for my speakers and I got 110dB. My listening levels never ever hit anything above 90db.  I just wanted to reassure myself that I would never ever blow my speakers apart without blowing out my ears first.

NewBuyer

« Reply #6 on: 6 Jan 2008, 06:10 am »
...I am going to sell my large speakers because of space issues and buy something like... a tiny monitor (on stands)... what would you do in my situation?

Keep the 7B-SST and use it with the new much smaller speaker
or
Sell the 7B-SST and buy something like a 3B-SST

Thanks in advance.

Personally I would consider selling both speakers and amp, and consider some active monitors by PMC (warning though, they are spendy). Are Bryston/PMC still affiliated? The active monitor route is very appealing to me at this time as well.

yyz

« Reply #7 on: 6 Jan 2008, 07:36 am »
After I posted this topic I found the 6moons review. Based on the reviews comments I should be fine keeping the amps.