biamping rm-40

Juan R

biamping rm-40
« on: 25 Sep 2003, 08:40 pm »
I am using the ampzillas in my rm-40. I will like to use a tube amp for the mid and high. If possible like  to be integrated to avoid  another set of cables. Any opinion in a good quality tube amp?

PLMONROE

biamping rm-40
« Reply #1 on: 25 Sep 2003, 09:21 pm »
Juan, if you want to go to tubes for lush sound in the mids and highs consider an amplifier that operates in triode mode in addition to, or in lieu of tetrode. There are lots out there, VTL (which I use), VAC, etc. However the Ampzilla may be hard to improve upon.

Paul

Juan R

biamping rm-40
« Reply #2 on: 25 Sep 2003, 10:31 pm »
I like the ampzillas, but few weeks ago I connected the ampzillas to mid and high, and a Samson 1000 to the bass. Is a amp that I used in the media room for my ht setup, for a pair of SVS ultra subs, and the diference in bass and in the ribbons was notable, good, low and mid bass at low volume and even better at high volume than the ampzillas alone. There is some decrease clarity but not really bad.

meilankev

biamping rm-40
« Reply #3 on: 26 Sep 2003, 12:26 am »
Juan,

How much cash are you looking to spend?  New or used?  Which tube amps have you listened to before?  Did you like them?

I feel that "shopping for amps" is little different from "shopping for speakers".  It's something to be enjoyed.  High-end companies have always been agreeable to weekend auditions.  This would be great for you, as your application will almost assuredly be different from any setup in a B&M store.

You will be able to try all combinations with your RM40s (SS full-range/ tubes full-range/tubes and SS biamped).  If you are fortunate to get to audition 3 or 4 different amps, trying all these possibilities will be enlightening for you.  And if you post your experiences here, they can enlighten "us" by proxy).  

Good luck to you,
Kevin

Juan R

biamping rm-40
« Reply #4 on: 26 Sep 2003, 01:46 am »
I can go used or new, but I will prefer dealer demo or buy from a dealer to avoid problems. I will like to expend around 3K plus or minus. I did audition AR 200 and 100w, not very inpressive for the money, Rogue, not good combo with ampzillas. CJ , I really like it but kind of expensive for biamp(12,000 for 4 mono).

doug s.

• makin' music
biamping rm-40
« Reply #5 on: 26 Sep 2003, 03:15 am »
i really like this amp:

learn about it here:

http://mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/For_Audiophiles/for_audiophiles.htm

no longer in current production, they retailed for $4k-$5k, depending on tube option, & are awailable used for ~$2k.  if yure leaning towards new, there's a guy who has a supply of nos amps:

http://www.audioshopper.com/cgi-bin/classifieds.asp?action=showad&id=47662

but i tink mesa has a few left themselves - mebbe for a better price?  

this is a killer amp, imo - built like a tank, great sound - w/finesse *and* slam.  infinitely adjustable, too - full triode, full pentode, or 1/3-2/3 either way.  and, 0, 2, 4, or 8 db negative feedback.  easy to bias, & built like a tank.  also allows for tube rolling, if ya have the tri-tube option.  mesa is one of the largest pro-audio tube amp mfr's around, & they know how to build gear to stand up to hard use.  there are folk that have tweeked some parts - caps, wiring, etc, & they say it gets even sweeter.  mesa started installing wima caps themselves, which they consider an upgrade.  mebbe some day, i'll get some *boutique* caps, but i feel no need to upgrade presently...  :)

doug s.

PLMONROE

biamping rm-40
« Reply #6 on: 26 Sep 2003, 03:33 am »
Juan,  I would agree with Doug - I very nearly bought  Mesas  before I setteled on the slightly more powerful  VTL 250 triode monoblocks. Tubes like this on the top and SS on the boton (especially the Ampzilla) would really give you a killer set up.

Paul

AlaskaManSouth

biamping rm-40
« Reply #7 on: 29 Sep 2003, 01:09 am »
[Rogue, not good combo with ampzillas]

Hello Juan,

I've been biamping my RM40s with A2Ks and Rogue Mag 120s.  Just curious what you mean by this?  What am I missing?

norm

Juan R

biamping rm-40
« Reply #8 on: 29 Sep 2003, 01:57 pm »
MY point is , no that rogue sound bad, but the ampzilla alone sound better than the combo.In the mid and high there is more tone or higher tone with the ampzillas, is hard to explain , but the sound of the instrument like sax is complete.I can hear the instrument go to full sound and then go low at the end.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
    • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
I'm next door to Mesa
« Reply #9 on: 1 Oct 2003, 04:43 am »
Juan
If Mesa has any new amps at all, I can get you one for a great price.  They are about 1 mile from my house.  Let me know.  The only reason they stopped making them is because the competition is so tough, & they had a hard time making money on them.  Let me know.  I am in agreement with you, that a good tube amp on the ribbons is about the only thing that might improve on the A2K on the ribbons.