Test trials on the big Rev X-Over ????

2bigears

Test trials on the big Rev X-Over ????
« on: 4 Jan 2008, 01:09 am »
:D Bob,in the future,say when you get caught-up,can you have a big old Rev deluxe  burnt-in x-over you can send out for a money back audition.Just an idea??   :drool:

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: Test trials on the big Rev X-Over ????
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jan 2008, 01:36 am »
To a crossoverless speaker?

2bigears

« Reply #2 on: 4 Jan 2008, 01:42 am »
 :D  hi Ted,how's the new Revs cookin.What i was thinkin' on was i bought a set of Revs with the standard x-over mounted external.Would really like to A-B test and comparo the two.Happy New Year :D
« Last Edit: 4 Jan 2008, 03:11 am by 2bigears »

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 4 Jan 2008, 01:45 am »
Ah, good idea!  Problem is that Bob and Company tune/voice the crossovers for each individual speaker, not something that can be field-upgradeable I don't think.

They are cookin in fine.  This weekend I'll post some more impressions.
« Last Edit: 4 Jan 2008, 03:00 am by ted_b »

2bigears

« Reply #4 on: 6 Jan 2008, 04:55 pm »
:D  soooo every x-over is different  :o ???? Did not know this ?? How does he do this and why ?? thks  :D

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 6 Jan 2008, 05:15 pm »
:D  soooo every x-over is different  :o ???? Did not know this ?? How does he do this and why ?? thks  :D

Because each speaker coming down the line has a slightly different response characteristic.  The differences are no doubt miniscule and subtle, but with these transducers, subtlety is not so subtle..... :o  ??   :lol:

Double Ugly

« Reply #6 on: 6 Jan 2008, 05:21 pm »

Yes, each and every crossover is slightly different, even between matched speakers.

Why?

Because even the drivers themselves will have very slight variances, and in order to achieve the flattest response curve, the crossovers must be tuned to each set of drivers.  After Bob is satisfied with the first speaker's response curve, he tries to make the second speaker's response curve match the first as closely as possible.

Nothing is perfectly identical; the drivers, the crossover components, even the boxes themselves will be ever so slightly different with each and every build.  That Bob takes the time to tweak each and every speaker - and then each and every pair of speakers - by hand to get the best response curve possible is a very good thing IMHO.

As Ted said, with these transducers (*LOVE* the use of that word! :thumb:), "subtlety is not so subtle."  :lol:
« Last Edit: 6 Jan 2008, 06:55 pm by Double Ugly »

2bigears

« Reply #7 on: 6 Jan 2008, 06:27 pm »
 :D holy-smokes :o,i had nooooo ideaaaaa.Thks Jim,how's the weather down there ta-day????  :D

Double Ugly

« Reply #8 on: 6 Jan 2008, 06:58 pm »
... how's the weather down there ta-day????  :D

Been a little cool lately, but it's supposed to reach the low 70s today.

I'm betting that's a wee bit warmer than you'll see for the next several months, eh?  :wink:  :lol: