Using SLA batteries with a Bugle- questions

strider

Using SLA batteries with a Bugle- questions
« on: 3 Jan 2008, 06:05 pm »
Got finished assembly on my Bugle kit on Sunday, already looking to upgrade; what a great design! I'd like to get away from the 9v batteries and move to a 12v SLA battery, eventually installing the Bugle into an enclosure with the batteries on the floor. Would 2 of these batteries be appropriate? http://www.zbattery.com/s.nl/it.A/id.1507/.f

My thought was to use the above battery, with quick connect slide on connectors attached to a 10 gauge wire, with the wires then soldered directly to the PCB. Any thoughts on this in regards to battery suitability, connection type, wire type/gauge, etc? Anything I've overlooked? I'm learning as I go, any input is appreciated.

TIA,

Ben

Kyle_C

Re: Using SLA batteries with a Bugle- questions
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jan 2008, 07:58 pm »
I use those exact batteries, bought them zBattery too. I've had zero problems with them. To my ears, the sound over the standard 9-volt batteries is improved. The 12-volt SLAs seem to add more weight and authority to the presentation. I wish I had some concrete measurements to offer but I haven't taken it that far yet. I have each of them wired up to a 9V-style "snap" connector and plugged into the stock battery holder.

strider

« Reply #2 on: 3 Jan 2008, 08:20 pm »
That's good to hear. What type of life have you gotten out of them? Concrete measurements have their place, but the fact that they sound better to you is what I'm after.

Kyle_C

« Reply #3 on: 4 Jan 2008, 08:45 pm »
I recharge them every few weeks just for the heck of it but I don't think I've come close to draining them.

jcg0322

« Reply #4 on: 5 Jan 2008, 02:50 am »
Someone correct me here if I missed something, but I think that 10 gauge wire would be overkill. Since the bugle draws very little current, it seems to me that 20 or 22 gauge wire would be more than adequate.

SET Man

« Reply #5 on: 5 Jan 2008, 05:19 am »
I recharge them every few weeks just for the heck of it but I don't think I've come close to draining them.

Hey!

You need to get a volt meter. I don't let mine SLA batts get below 12.5V and usually charge it before that :D

Someone correct me here if I missed something, but I think that 10 gauge wire would be overkill. Since the bugle draws very little current, it seems to me that 20 or 22 gauge wire would be more than adequate.

My DAC is running off two 12V 7A SLA batts connected in parallel. And I just use those gator clip wires of which I think only about 20ga connecting my DAC to those batts.

The gauge you need depend on the current drawn of what you are connecting to the batt. You definitely don't need 10ga to run your batt to the small Bugle. :D

Also, if you like you might want to try put one or two 10,000uf cap with V rating higher than 12V across the - and +. This is how I run my DAC and it sound better with these caps on. :wink:

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

Kyle_C

« Reply #6 on: 5 Jan 2008, 05:39 am »
You need to get a volt meter. I don't let mine SLA batts get below 12.5V and usually charge it before that :D

You're right! Got any suggestions for something inexpensive? Thanks!

strider

« Reply #7 on: 5 Jan 2008, 06:54 pm »

Hey!

My DAC is running off two 12V 7A SLA batts connected in parallel. And I just use those gator clip wires of which I think only about 20ga connecting my DAC to those batts.

The gauge you need depend on the current drawn of what you are connecting to the batt. You definitely don't need 10ga to run your batt to the small Bugle. :D

Also, if you like you might want to try put one or two 10,000uf cap with V rating higher than 12V across the - and +. This is how I run my DAC and it sound better with these caps on. :wink:

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

Thanks, guys. That's why I'm here; when in doubt, ask the people who know more then you. :)

Buddy- I'd like to try what you're suggesting, but after I get some time listening to it using the SLA's. Since this is my first step into really anything DIY in audio, I'm moving slowly and trying to hear what each change may do. I'm so green, I'm going to ask you this: When you say "you might want to try put one or two 10,000uf cap with V rating higher than 12V across the - and +" does this mean that I'd solder a capacitor of said values, one lead to the "-" hole for the battery on the PCB and the other lead on the "+", for each side of the Bugle? :oops:

strider

« Reply #8 on: 5 Jan 2008, 06:56 pm »

You're right! Got any suggestions for something inexpensive? Thanks!

Kyle- I got a multimeter from Home Depot for under $30. The "toolies" that I know have Fluke meters which are, IIRC, in the $200 plus range. They both do pretty much the same thing.

hagtech

« Reply #9 on: 6 Jan 2008, 05:07 am »
Be careful with the el-cheapo DVM (under $20), as they can give incorrect readings.  Do not trust them.  They are built cheap to be cheap, not accurate.

jh