626 as center channel?

drcruz

626 as center channel?
« on: 3 Jan 2008, 12:34 pm »
Quick Question:

Can you simple turn the 626 on it's side and make it a center channel -or- can you special order a 626 center? Also, what's a free swinging tweeter? Is the swing tweeter allow for rotation of the tweeter so you can put the 626 on it's side?

Sorry if this has already been answered, I'm having trouble getting the search engine to work for some reason.

Thanks in advance... :)
« Last Edit: 3 Jan 2008, 12:48 pm by drcruz »

Early B.

Re: 626 as center channel?
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jan 2008, 01:16 pm »
A 626 should work fine as a center channel. A pair of them will work even better.

Go here for definition of FST: http://www.vmpsaudio.com/technical.htm#04fst

drcruz

« Reply #2 on: 3 Jan 2008, 04:11 pm »
FST = Fast Swinging Tweeter (DOH!!!  :duh: )

Early,

I've seen FST all over the price list, but when I read the words Fast Swinging Tweeter in the RM-30 section of the VMPS website, it didn't click.

Thanks  :)

hmen

« Reply #3 on: 3 Jan 2008, 05:09 pm »
I ordered a single 626 with the FST for my center speaker a couple of years ago. The FST is rotated 90 degrees so it's vertical while the speaker sits on it's side. 

drcruz

« Reply #4 on: 3 Jan 2008, 08:14 pm »
The FST is rotated 90 degrees

Thanks hman,

That is what I was wondering. How is the 626 center working for you and out of curiousity, what are your mains.

Thanks again  :)

Early B.

« Reply #5 on: 4 Jan 2008, 01:48 am »
For the price of a single "custom" 626, you should consider buying an LRCjr. if they are still available.

John Casler

« Reply #6 on: 5 Jan 2008, 03:01 am »
For the price of a single "custom" 626, you should consider buying an LRCjr. if they are still available.

Yes the LRCjr is a great center speaker, and we have a few still available.

To use the 626 horizontally you simply rotate the tweeter 45 degrees.

dblotii

« Reply #7 on: 7 Jan 2008, 05:19 pm »

I ordered my 626r a couple of years ago as a center, but built (the kit) in the normal vertical configuration.  It sounds good and integrates well with my system on its side.  I wonder if I can or should re-orient the FST?  Can the FST be rotated 90degrees without  modifying the cabinet?  Should I remove or re-apply (rotate) the foam?
Recommendations?

Dave

dblotii

« Reply #8 on: 15 Jan 2008, 03:06 pm »

I ordered my 626r a couple of years ago as a center, but built (the kit) in the normal vertical configuration.  It sounds good and integrates well with my system on its side.  I wonder if I can or should re-orient the FST?  Can the FST be rotated 90degrees without  modifying the cabinet?  Should I remove or re-apply (rotate) the foam?
Recommendations?

Dave
Before I unscrew the tweeter to see if I can rotate it 90 degrees,  I would like an informed opinion about whether or not I will have to modify the cabinet.

Dave

John Casler

« Reply #9 on: 15 Jan 2008, 10:18 pm »

Recommendations?

Dave
Before I unscrew the tweeter to see if I can rotate it 90 degrees,  I would like an informed opinion about whether or not I will have to modify the cabinet.

Dave

Hi Dave,

No mods nessessary, but the foam may be a little tricky to detach in one (two) pieces.

dblotii

« Reply #10 on: 21 Jan 2008, 03:33 am »

Recommendations?

Dave

Dave

Hi Dave,

No mods nessessary, but the foam may be a little tricky to detach in one (two) pieces.

I just started the work and found out that rotating a FST in a 626 is not that simple. 

For one thing, the FST cutout is a rectangle, so you do have to cut the tweeter opening in the cabinet to match the shape of the FST.  You are not done yet, because the 4 mounting screws will not have enough material (it's close) to engage when rotated because the horizontal cutout is too close to the mounting holes when rotated 90 degrees.  So you have to make and glue in a pair of wooden plugs to give the mounting screws something to grab onto reliably.

Dave