Macbook doesn't see my USB DAC

PaulFolbrecht

Macbook doesn't see my USB DAC
« on: 3 Jan 2008, 02:22 am »
3rd forum I'm posting this on.

Have a Macbook running OS X and an MHDT USB DAC. Plugged the DAC in and go to Preferences|Sound but it does not show up - only 'internal speakers' do.

I've tried a cold boot with the DAC already connected, etc. with no luck.

The DAC works fine as I normally use it at the office with my PC. I've never setup a USB DAC on a Mac before and must be missing something simple.  Or not - perhaps something is broken?

nicksgem10s

Re: Macbook doesn't see my USB DAC
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jan 2008, 02:33 am »
Hi Paul,

I don't know if I have a solution but can tell you that it should definitely be showing up on the Preferences/ Sound page below internal speakers.  This is how my MHDT Paradisea+ USB dac showed up when I owned one.  The same is true when I use my Trends UD 10 or auditioned my friend's Scott Nixon USB.

I would try restarting the computer with the dac not connected.  Try connecting it after you have restarted and see if it shows up under Preference/Sound .  It should allow you to select USB right below internal speakers.

Hope it recognizes the USB DAC for you.

Happy New Year!

-Nick

PaulFolbrecht

« Reply #2 on: 3 Jan 2008, 02:54 am »
Thanks for the reply.

It doesn't show up.

Either the DAC or the cable went bad on the ride home!  Or so it would seem.

low.pfile

« Reply #3 on: 4 Jan 2008, 02:33 am »
paul, if you were closer (i.e. in nor cal) i'd say come over and check out my macs. I am considering the MHDT USB myself. got a macbook pro and older G5. if you swap out cable and still a no go maybe some other AC'er can check out your DAC on their mac.  BTW any USB MHDT owners in the SF BAY Area?

enjoy your music ~ed

sonofcolin

« Reply #4 on: 4 Jan 2008, 02:50 am »
Go to the 'Apple' menu and select 'About this Mac' and then the button that says 'more info.' On the left you will see 'hardware' and at the bottom of this section is 'USB.' Highlight USB and you should see if your device is connected. If it isn't listed, unplug it and try another USB port / cable etc. Do you see your 'isight' listed under the USB devices?

low.pfile

« Reply #5 on: 11 Jan 2008, 01:20 am »
Any luck yet paul? what's the update?

avta

« Reply #6 on: 13 Jan 2008, 02:53 pm »
Have you done a verify permissions/cache clean? I've had similar problems with an external drive and that helped. I use a program called Onyx. It's free and can be downloaded from Version Tracker or cnet. I use the Automation program within it so you get a comprehensive clean and verify.

low.pfile

« Reply #7 on: 6 Feb 2008, 06:23 am »
Any luck yet paul? what's the update?

I'm still very curious how/if this was resolved! Paul?

thanks

PaulFolbrecht

« Reply #8 on: 17 Jun 2008, 02:25 pm »
It's time for an update to this thread!

It seems that for whatever reason my Dialogue II just does not work with Macs.  It's always worked perfectly with my PC at work.

This is definitely not true of MHDT DACs in general.  I now have a Constantine at home, driven by my Mac Mini, which works just fine.  And oh what a sweet little DAC that is.  It's not quite as good as Gordon's Cosecant, but it's silly how close it gets.

jrebman

« Reply #9 on: 20 Jun 2008, 08:41 pm »
Paul,

Do you have a cosecant?  How does the Constantine compare to the Wavelength Brick, if you have heard the Brick, that is?

Next year's big toy will be a Mac Mini and some sort of USB DAC, and right now the cosecant is at the top of the heap but with the Brick and a few others under consideration.

-- Jim