Northwest Indiana Snowbound - Expect Delays!

Aether Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.aetheraudio.com
Northwest Indiana Snowbound - Expect Delays!
« on: 2 Jan 2008, 07:14 pm »
Folks,

Holy crap... are we getting hammered!!!  We were blanketed all day yesterday and last night with system snow, now in our area we're getting hit with lake-effect snow.  We're about 20 miles south from Lake Michigan and in an area notorious for this.  La Porte lies right in a "belt" that wraps around the southern tip of the lake and extends eastward up into Michigan.  Lake Michigan feeds  humidity into the air and then it freezes and drops right on our butts.  This is very common for this time of year, but what is less common is to have it kick in right on the heels of a system storm.  Well, I wouldn't say that's not common either, but seeing this much continuous snow fall isn't something that happens that often.  I'd say we have at least 18-inches on the ground right now and the weather bureau is predicting another 6-inches of lake-effect today & tonight.

Needless to say, Bob is now trying to dig out.  I should have been down to the shop hours ago.  What has me a little concerned is that even when I can get out of town, the shop is likely to be buried.  We're in an industrial park and the owners do the best they can to keep the roads and parking lots clear, but they have 48 buildings to take care of.  Seeing we're small and don't have many employees, they kinda put our parking lot at the bottom of the list.  In fact, our building is the only one occupied on the road we're on.  They may not even get that road plowed for a day or 2.  If that's turns out to be the case tomorrow, we can't even get to our shop, regardless of getting to the park.

Anyway, as "little" of a deal as this may seem, when you have so few people working, every delay is a lot bigger deal.  So... there are a couple of you guys expecting your speakers any day now.  Please hang tight and expect another couple of days before you get them.  Mother Nature is not cooperating with us this week.  Never fear though, it's just a matter of a couple extra days.  We're doing all we can to keep them coming.

Uh... Happy New Year. :scratch: :?

-Bob

RodMCV

Re: Northwest Indiana Snowbound - Expect Delays!
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jan 2008, 08:12 pm »
Hi Bob,

It must be beautiful out there.

Be safe and prosper this New Year.

Rod

BRIAN DK

« Reply #2 on: 2 Jan 2008, 08:14 pm »
Hi Bob,

Happy New Year.

Things don't happen without a reason. Maybe it´s time for you guys to relax for a few days, and get back to the shop with new strengths. :wink:

Best Regards,
Brian

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #3 on: 2 Jan 2008, 10:09 pm »
OK, I'll say it.......I hate frickin' winter!!! :finger:

Why the hell I have stayed in Cleveland, OH for my 53 years I'll never know.....and I'm an avid golfer.  Argh! :banghead:

There.....I feel better now.  Good luck shoveling out Bob. :)

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #4 on: 2 Jan 2008, 11:15 pm »
Things don't happen without a reason. Maybe it´s time for you guys to relax for a few days, and get back to the shop with new strengths. :wink:

I LOVE this line of reasoning, Brian. However, with Bobs type A personality, it might cause him more stress than if he were actually working. I hope I'm wrong. As for delays, I ALWAYS expect delays, which is why I'm rarely disappointed.  :green: BTW Bob, did you get my special wood yet? I want to be absolutely sure that my pair of Minis are the last to be made on the special offer list because of the specific attributes of this wood. Hoping you and your crew have had a good holiday season, and the new year brings you and yours health and wealth.

MaxCast

« Reply #5 on: 2 Jan 2008, 11:22 pm »
My wife went to Chicago today with five kids and Grandparents...I told them not to go but they had Christmas tickets to the Star Wars exhibit at the museum.

RodMCV

« Reply #6 on: 2 Jan 2008, 11:24 pm »
Hay, wait a minute.
I thought I reserved the last place for the mini's special offer.
Well maybe I got my order in a little too early to be a legit last place.
But I could-da been a contenda!,

Oh well live and learn.

vonwaffen

« Reply #7 on: 2 Jan 2008, 11:26 pm »
Hey Bob,

I know what you mean as the weather here in Tucson was rather chilly as well. It only got up to 68 with bright sunshine. . .  aa
  Be safe and God bless.
  Your friend in the desert,
  Paul

Aether Audio

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 3 Jan 2008, 12:21 am »
Hi Rod,

Hi Bob,

It must be beautiful out there.

Yeah... it's real pretty.  It would be a lot prettier if my Grounds Keeper would have gotten off his dead ass and shoveled out my vehicles though.  :roll: :lol: As it is I got to experience the splendor first hand.  4 &1/2 hours after I started this thread I can now move my cars.  My wife and I just came in from clearing the snow...and that's WITH the use of a snow blower. :cuss:

Ted,

OK, I'll say it.......I hate frickin' winter!!!

Why the hell I have stayed in Cleveland, OH for my 53 years I'll never know.....

AMEN!!!

Brian,

Things don't happen without a reason. Maybe it´s time for you guys to relax for a few days, and get back to the shop with new strengths.

Thanks for the kind wishes, but I'll reference konut:

I LOVE this line of reasoning, Brian. However, with Bobs type A personality, it might cause him more stress than if he were actually working.

He hit the nail on the head.  Although I undoubtedly need the exercise, today was not exactly a day of rest.  Basically, except for the fact that every day has its value to some degree, when something like some stupid snow keeps me from getting stuff done (especially when I'm way behind), I have little peace about it - let alone rest.  Just another big frick'n waste of time for the most part.  Then when you add the cost of energy to heat our home and businesses, winter is an expensive pain in the butt. 

Now... if I were rich and could afford my own log cabin "getaway" home in Wisconsin, had the time to enjoy it and could afford everything with plenty to spare...winter would be just DANDY. :roll:  Until then, it's back to the shop tomorrow, try to play "catch up" and freeze my butt off! :banghead:

OK... I'll quit whining now. :deadhorse: Have a good night guys.  :D

-Bob

Aether Audio

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 3 Jan 2008, 12:24 am »
PS.  Paul,

I know what you mean as the weather here in Tucson was rather chilly as well. It only got up to 68 with bright sunshine. . . 

That's not a good way to try and motivate me to get your Revs done more quickly. :nono:

Take care :D
-Bob

vonwaffen

« Reply #10 on: 3 Jan 2008, 12:35 am »
Tu-Shea, and take care as well my brother :thumb:

Christof

« Reply #11 on: 3 Jan 2008, 05:46 am »
Time for a SP work truck..... :wink:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #12 on: 3 Jan 2008, 05:53 am »
Bob....
We're in an industrial park and the owners do the best they can to keep the roads and parking lots clear, but they have 48 buildings to take care of.
How's the roof there ?

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #13 on: 3 Jan 2008, 05:57 am »
Hay, wait a minute.

Oh well live and learn.
Now....I thought my order was the last "under the wire"... :scratch:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=43286.msg390821#msg390821

vonwaffen

« Reply #14 on: 3 Jan 2008, 11:20 am »
I found this at a yard sale here it Tucson,

I't's going cheap is it barely get's used--should I pick it up for you . . .

http://www.clarkson.edu/news/photos/dogsled.jpg

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
« Reply #15 on: 3 Jan 2008, 02:11 pm »

this is more what you need if your in a hury to get to work

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #16 on: 3 Jan 2008, 04:44 pm »
Hay, wait a minute.

Oh well live and learn.
Now....I thought my order was the last "under the wire"... :scratch:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=43286.msg390821#msg390821

FWIW, I started communicating, with Bob via PM, on the 31st but my placement 'on the list' didn't occur until Aug. 2. He graciously allowed me in after discussing some concerns I had.

WGH

« Reply #17 on: 3 Jan 2008, 08:02 pm »
Bob - You just got snowbound in the wrong place. Before I moved to Tucson I lived in Colorado in both Julesburg and Burlington, where getting snowed in is a way of life. We solved the problem of getting to work by living on the job site.

You can just see the trailer in the distance in the middle of a 1/4 section. I would take days and days before the front end loader could dig us out. The only way to get out of the trailer was to climb out a window (trailer doors swing out).

Hey Paul, I wouldn't mind listening to your Revs when they arrive.

Wayne