RAW's hidden detail magic

nathanm

RAW's hidden detail magic
« on: 2 Jan 2008, 09:39 am »
So here's the final shot after some creative tweaking.

But what surprised me is how I got there from a plugged up, lame exposure like this, which as you can see is unrecoverable if left in its natural state.  Shadows are totally clipped.

I'm really starting to warm up to the controls in Lightroom.  I thought some of them were redundant at first, but now I see what they can do.  There's like this hidden bit of histogram you can pull out of seemingly nowhere.  The highlights are a bit less forgiving, but the shadows can be resurrected from the brink of death.  Pretty nifty.  Doesn't prevent you from shooting unwanted utility poles, though.

drphoto

Re: RAW's hidden detail magic
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jan 2008, 05:53 pm »
That's some badass pshop work there Nathan. Hellva masking job to put in the sky.

nathanm

« Reply #2 on: 2 Jan 2008, 08:46 pm »
Nope, there's no masking at all.  It's all Lightroom adjustments.

drphoto

« Reply #3 on: 2 Jan 2008, 10:21 pm »
No kidding? I might have to check that out. Nice job anyway.

ryno

« Reply #4 on: 2 Jan 2008, 10:56 pm »
Looks nice, made me forget about the snow for a couple minutes. Lots of people are happy with lightroom. I wanted an all in one converter and editor and the lack of selection tools in light room turned me to lightzone. It seems a little more intuitive for someone with darkroom experience. Do you find you miss selective editing?
Ryan

BradJudy

« Reply #5 on: 2 Jan 2008, 11:47 pm »
Cool - a very vintage hand-colored kind of look. 

nathanm

« Reply #6 on: 3 Jan 2008, 12:11 am »
I bought Photoshop CS3 and Lightroom together and at first I thought I made a huge mistake when I learned that the functions in Lightroom are the same as Camera Raw...but...Lightroom has its own thing going on.  It's all about doing global adjustments and it's also a database for managing your collection.  It's a photographer's tool for images that are almost the way you want them, it's not a manipulator\retoucher tool.  Only Photoshop can do that.   But exporting back and forth between Lightroom and Photoshop is pretty easy.  I only use Lightroom for my digital stuff.  For the film scans I still prefer Photoshop.  Lightroom's Split Toning thing is really the bee's knees.  At first I just figured it was for doing B&W toning, but when you use it on a color image it can really do some neat tricks if you use it sparingly.  That's how the warmth was achieved with that otherwise stark black 'n green shot.  You're basically colorizing the shadows and highlights.

Lightroom's interface has made me rethink some ancient conventions, though.  The "Target" tool modes for example, you basically click and drag on an area of the photo and move the mouse up and down to change the value.  All without having any dialog box to interact with.  That's pretty cool.  The parametric curves threw me at first, but I can see the advantage it has over the point curve.  Not quite as fast to work with, but then nothing is.  I don't recommend using a G4 if you like speed.  These apps seem like they were designed with the new fangled blazing Intel chips.  I guess I'll manage, though.

Listens2tubes

« Reply #7 on: 5 Jan 2008, 07:24 pm »
That's the kind of shadow detail I like. :thumb: In B&W I would get that using the Zone System with Ilford FP-4 exposed for the shadows and developed for the highlights, then printed on Agfa Portiga Rapid paper. Portriga had a tonal palet that was lush. Man I miss the darkroom.