Ugly? UGLY???

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
Ugly? UGLY???
« on: 25 Sep 2003, 12:18 am »
Some jokester on Audio Asylum Speaker Forum just called the RM/X ugly!!  Who wants to be the first to chastize this infidel??

wshuff

Ugly? UGLY???
« Reply #1 on: 25 Sep 2003, 12:56 am »

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Ugly? UGLY???
« Reply #2 on: 25 Sep 2003, 01:36 am »
Weird.  Although I'm far too poor to buy a pair, they are the coolest looking speaker VMPS makes!

Ravi

Ugly? UGLY???
« Reply #3 on: 25 Sep 2003, 02:58 am »
If its any consolation, I think they look very black.   This is a good thing. :D

ekovalsky

Ugly? UGLY???
« Reply #4 on: 25 Sep 2003, 03:00 pm »
I have to admit, when I first saw the RM/x photos I was disappointed.  I found them ugly and referred to them as the "cyclops".  Well, after looking at the pictures of them for a few months (particularly the good ones on Dubravko's site) I changed my tune and now find the design quite elegant and masculine.  That there is function to the form is an added plus.  

I am hoping my walnut veneer / TRT / silver wire pair will be on its way soon.  B?

Andrikos

Ugly? UGLY???
« Reply #5 on: 25 Sep 2003, 05:48 pm »
I looked up the dictionary and under "ugly" they had a picture of Wilson Audio speakers (don't remember which).
Just thought it would interest you :)

Horsehead

Ugly? UGLY???
« Reply #6 on: 25 Sep 2003, 07:56 pm »
Hi Eric- what type of silver wire did you choose for the RM/X internals?  Is the walnut a full wrap or will part remain black?  Any other options you chose to include or delete (toggle switch)?  You have to post some picture when those beauties arrive.  Have you thought about picking up another PS Audio 250 and running them as monoblocks into the RM/X?

John Casler

Re: Ugly? UGLY???
« Reply #7 on: 25 Sep 2003, 08:06 pm »
Quote from: Brian Cheney
Some jokester on Audio Asylum Speaker Forum just called the RM/X ugly!!  Who wants to be the first to chastize this infidel??

Well Beauty is in the eye of the "beholder" and he ain't "beholden".

I would call the Enzo Ferrarri ugly too, until I had one in my garage, then it becomes a work of art.

Tell him he better look out or you'll sic Bongiorno on him. :guns:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Ugly? UGLY???
« Reply #8 on: 25 Sep 2003, 08:45 pm »
Hmm,

I thought he was referring to Brian, not the speaker!

Just kidding Big B, you're a handsome man.

ekovalsky

Ugly? UGLY???
« Reply #9 on: 26 Sep 2003, 05:59 am »
Horsehead:
I think the upgrade consists of 12 gauge Analysis Plus Silver Oval speaker wire on the bass drivers.  I'm not aware of any change to the ribbon wiring, which I believe to be a a stranded silverplate with teflon insulation.  Not sure of the gauge.

Adding a second PS Audio Classic 250 for passive biamping is a definite possibility.  I've been loitering around Agon looking for one at a decent price...

Big B:
Can you please confirm or correct my understanding of the wire upgrade?

To keep on topic and for your entertainment:

http://www.theinformationminister.com/press.php?ID=612320169

:lol:

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
wire
« Reply #10 on: 26 Sep 2003, 03:04 pm »
12 gauge AP silver wire for the bass is available for $400pr additional.  Mid wiring is 18 gauge silverplate teflon, treble wiring is 20 gauge silverplate teflon.

wshuff

Ugly? UGLY???
« Reply #11 on: 26 Sep 2003, 03:38 pm »
Well, I'm pissed.  Just goes to show the world ain't fair.

Here I am, lusting after the RM/X, and the Iraqi Information Minister has three in his tent!  In fact, I think he has the entire CES setup.  I hate him.

Xi-Trum

Ugly? UGLY???
« Reply #12 on: 27 Sep 2003, 02:53 am »
If I were to do over, I'd built a single-story house and get the RM/X.  As of right now, I'm staying with the RM40 until I move.  ;-)  

I can tell you guys this much:  I'm tired of buying speakers for looks.  It's also beneficial to have a SO who tollerates acoustic foams for room decoration.   :lol:

In the end, it's the sound that matters most.   :D