Program to catalog movie collection

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Program to catalog movie collection
« on: 31 Dec 2007, 10:10 pm »
Yes, I could simply use Word or Excel, but I was wondering if anybody was using a cool program built specifically to catalog your movie collection.

Please let me know the cost if you list anything.

Thanks,

George

mca

Re: Program to catalog movie collection
« Reply #1 on: 31 Dec 2007, 10:31 pm »
I use DVD Profiler:

http://www.invelos.com/

samplesj

« Reply #2 on: 1 Jan 2008, 02:23 pm »
DVD Profiler is pretty nice and there are add ins that will control some of the storage carousels.  You can quickly load the movies by upc or title.  If you had a barcode scanner you could even load them that way. 

I went from having to build more shelves to deal with movies stacked in the floor and never being able to find what I wanted because it was all repaced in slim line cases without words on the spine to just three stacked Dacal changers that spit out whatever I want quickly.  I've got a stack in the floor to load from all the bogo/big discount sales, but I've got to buy another Dacal first.  I know it sounds dumb to most people to buy a carousel that doesn't actually play the disks, but this way I can use whatever dvd player I want and don't have to worry about the changer's audio/video quality.  I even have the HD DVD/Blu disks in them.

There are lots of searching features, but to be honest we still find it easier just to scroll through the thumbnails visually and pick what we want for the night.  One feature we use a lot now that I would NEVER have guessed is the loan tracker.  Not because I'm renting stuff to friends (or even that we loan many out to friends).  It is great even just to keep track of what I take out of the storage carousels to play in the other room or on a trip.  It tells me exactly where to go find the rogue disk.

There is a freebie version available, but you'll have to upgrade to the real version if you load more than 50 or stuff stops working.  Its $29, but that is a perpetual license for all future versions too.

musicman06

« Reply #3 on: 2 Jan 2008, 01:39 am »
I have mine catalogued online at DVD Aficionado, www.dvdaf.com. I haven't really kept up to date for a while and notice they've changed things up a bit, seems to be worse then before, but still a quick way to see a list.

PeteG

« Reply #4 on: 2 Jan 2008, 01:45 am »
I use DVD Profiler:

http://www.invelos.com/

Here too. Nice program, been using it from the beginning.

TONEPUB

« Reply #5 on: 2 Jan 2008, 01:53 am »
are you on a mac or PC?

theres a great program for the mac called delicious library.

You can scan in books, movies, cds and vinyl if it has a barcode...
Pretty handy!

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #6 on: 2 Jan 2008, 03:55 am »
Thanks guys.

I am on a PC.

George

Gordy

« Reply #7 on: 2 Jan 2008, 04:09 am »
Josh and I both use Collectorz to catalog our cd/music collections, they have systems for movies, comics, games...  Collectorz

Dan Driscoll

« Reply #8 on: 8 Jan 2008, 04:05 pm »
I've been thinking about this program, but I would get it bundled with the book and music cataloging programs, also.