Kool Cables Silkworms in the house, pretty impressive

TONEPUB

Just wanted to let you guys know that if you have a little bit of
Christmas cash left over that you don't know what to do with,
consider throwing it at the folks at Kool Cables.

I've been listening to the Silkworms for a while now and
am very impressed.  I have only had them in one system,
but will be trying them in my other three as well as Marc
Phillips two over the weeks to come.  We will have a
review either in the Feb issue, or out on the web by Feb.

So far, they do just what a good cable should do:
Present as much of the music as possible and not
do harm to the tonal balance.

The price is right at $895, they are definitely on par
with the other stuff I have from the big boys costing
that much...

Definitely worth a look and listen. 

arthurs

Re: Kool Cables Silkworms in the house, pretty impressive
« Reply #1 on: 31 Dec 2007, 10:14 pm »
Jeff, couldn't agree more, I have Silkworms throughout my system and never ceased to be amazed at the quality these cables deliver.  They just seem to do everything right.  Looking forward to your review!

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #2 on: 31 Dec 2007, 10:25 pm »
Might have to audition these one of these days...I just hate auditioning and comparing cables and ic's.

George

Panelman

« Reply #3 on: 31 Dec 2007, 10:28 pm »
Jeff,

this may be slightly off topic but do you place the same emphasis on digital cables as analog cables? Since a digital cable is transmitting in essence a digital file and if the dac does not show an error code am I wrong in assuming that the cable is passing all the information? I understand, or think I do, how a cable can affect an analog signal but since there is no information in a digital stream, only data  is the digital cable that important  as long as it operates within the spdif standard?   I have a Benchmark DAC1 on the way and am wondering since the DAC1 reclocks to reduce jitter as long as the cable operates at 75 or 110 ohms if a higher end cable makes sense.  I'll check out Silkworms for my analog cabling.  Thanks for any input or direction to a source of explanation on digital transmission you think is accurate.

Sean

TONEPUB

« Reply #4 on: 31 Dec 2007, 11:26 pm »
panelman,

I do, but for the past couple of years, I have used one box CD players
that don't need a digital cable, so I ignored it.

My two main players are a Naim CD555 and the Meridian 808.

Naim is not a believer in splitting up the player at the digital junction,
and they concentrate on making a player and a power supply.

However the new SuperNait does have a DAC on board and I am
using that with my Sooloos and the Wadia 521 out in the studio
with my McIntosh music server, so now I have a motivation to start
investigating digital cables....

I promise we will have some of that in 2008!

Everyone I've talked to in the digital world says that it is important.

KCI-JohnP

« Reply #5 on: 31 Dec 2007, 11:36 pm »
Hey, cool!! Thank you for the kind words so far Jeff!! I'm glad you are enjoying the cables, those cables are not cooked so you will hear them go thru their
"odd" break in process but once broken in boy do they spread their wings!! I am sitting on pins & needles waiting to read your review!  8)

Sincerely,
John

PS-Just as an FYI, we do make a gold digital cable as well though it's not on our website. It is of a hybrid design using pure 24K gold and pure silver. On that cable we choose to use the WBT platinum/silver Nextgens as they are true 75 ohm pugs .  .
« Last Edit: 1 Jan 2008, 04:30 pm by KCI-JohnP »

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 31 Dec 2007, 11:51 pm »
Hey, cool!! Thank you for the kind words so far Jeff!! I'm glad you are enjoying the cables, those cables are not cooked so you will hear them go thru their
"odd" break in process but once broken in boy do they spread their wings!! I am sitting on pins & needles waiting to read your review!  8)

Sincerely,
John

PS-Just as an FYI, we do make a gold digital cable as well though it's not on our website. It is of a hybrid design using pure 24K gold and pure silver. On that cable we choose to use the WBT platinum/silver Nextgens as they are true 75 ohm pugs .

John,

What does a 1.5M digital cable cost?

Thanks,

George

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #7 on: 31 Dec 2007, 11:58 pm »

Sincerely,
John

PS-Just as an FYI, we do make a gold digital cable as well though it's not on our website. It is of a hybrid design using pure 24K gold and pure silver. On that cable we choose to use the WBT platinum/silver Nextgens as they are true 75 ohm pugs .

I really wish I had had the opportunity to demo this digital cable against the Crystal Cable Digit John. Thought you were gonna send me one?  :o Oh well, my 30 day demo period is up with the Crystal Digit and I am pretty happy with it so wtf. Ashame tho as the crystal Cable is also a 34K Gold/pure silver alloy and it would have made for a good comparison.  :D

Cheers,
Robin

bluemike

« Reply #8 on: 1 Jan 2008, 12:10 am »
These are Amazing ! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

hi5harry

« Reply #9 on: 1 Jan 2008, 12:49 am »
I am also a HUGE fan of the Silkworms. It really helped my system to use just Silkworms in the signal path. And it really did replace my Valhallas in my system. A nice price for a very nice cable.

TONEPUB

« Reply #10 on: 1 Jan 2008, 01:39 am »
Im moving them front and center between my Naim 555 and ACT2 when I get home
from CES... 

Big Red Machine

« Reply #11 on: 1 Jan 2008, 02:58 am »
Best place to try them first would be between which components?

TONEPUB

« Reply #12 on: 1 Jan 2008, 04:15 am »
I would say probably between amp and pre or between a source and pre.
If you go between source and pre, whichever of your sources you feel
has the most resolution.  That's probably where you will hear the biggest
difference.

In my second system, I just use a Luxman integrated, so it's really easy
to just swap that one cable between it and my Meridian 808.  That is
becoming more my "cable testing system" every day, because it eliminates
more variables...

AliG

« Reply #13 on: 1 Jan 2008, 04:19 am »
Hi Arthur, I believe you have tried the Electra cable some time ago, can you describe the sonic difference between the Electra IC and the Silkworms (if you still remember)? :wink:

Jeff, couldn't agree more, I have Silkworms throughout my system and never ceased to be amazed at the quality these cables deliver.  They just seem to do everything right.  Looking forward to your review!

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 1 Jan 2008, 04:57 am »
Hi Arthur, I believe you have tried the Electra cable some time ago, can you describe the sonic difference between the Electra IC and the Silkworms (if you still remember)? :wink:

The Electra ic's are nice for the money, but nowhere near a top performer shelf performer.

I would have to imagine the Silkworm's are significantly better judging by the reviews on StereoMojo and the fact that Art uses them as his reference ic.

George

AliG

« Reply #15 on: 1 Jan 2008, 05:21 am »
Come on George, you know this thing better than me. :wink: Price does not guarantee equipment matching/synergy, "better" is often a matter of personal taste/preference. As Einstein famous theory says: Everything is relative - that demand to know, where is the starting point or point of reference. Of course Arthur likes the Silkworms much better otherwise he wouldn't be using them, hence I'm interested to know the sonic difference between the two cables, e.g. perhaps one can hear more (or less) details with the Silkworms, more bass, more midrange...etc?

The Electra ic's are nice for the money, but nowhere near a top performer shelf performer.

I would have to imagine the Silkworm's are significantly better judging by the reviews on StereoMojo and the fact that Art uses them as his reference ic.

George

arthurs

« Reply #16 on: 1 Jan 2008, 06:19 am »
AliG - I haven't listened to the Electra in quite awhile, nor in this iteration of my system, so a comparison between the two would be difficult and sketchy memory at best.

I will say this, the Silkworm is the finest IC I've ever owned bar none, in my system, to my ears, on my music, period.

Happy New Year everyone!

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #17 on: 1 Jan 2008, 07:46 am »
I heard the silkworms at Toprounds NY RAVE when they were thrown into a 7watt Set amp/pre system with a huge pair of klipsch horns that were sounding dead. These Silkworms not only woke up them horns, it was like the whole system was on steroids. It's one of them moments when you go out of your way to find out the name of them IC's. In fact it was this that got me wanting to try out John's digital cable that he was in the process of developing. Definitely worth an audiion in anyone's system.  :D

Cheers,
Robin

KCI-JohnP

« Reply #18 on: 1 Jan 2008, 04:27 pm »
I really wish I had had the opportunity to demo this digital cable against the Crystal Cable Digit John. Thought you were gonna send me one?  :o Oh well, my 30 day demo period is up with the Crystal Digit and I am pretty happy with it so wtf. Ashame tho as the crystal Cable is also a 34K Gold/pure silver alloy and it would have made for a good comparison.  :D

Cheers,
Robin

Robin,

I owe you a SERIOUS apology Robin. I deeply regret that I didn't get a cable to you in time to compare and for that I am truely sorry. If you ever decide to buy ANY of my cables you let me know and I WILL take care of you. I will still get a digital cable up there for you guys to demo. I am having a hard time getting WBT to get back to me so I can order plugs, right now I am having to pay the retail price of $250 for a set of four and I keep running out. I am still awaiting for plugs to arrive, WBT is sure taking their sweet time and it's putting a hurt on me and my potential customers! Again, I offer you my sincerest apologies Robin.

Sincerely,
John

KCI-JohnP

« Reply #19 on: 1 Jan 2008, 04:40 pm »
John,
What does a 1.5M digital cable cost?
Thanks,
George

Hi George,
They are $499 for 1M and $165 for each additional .5M. They are very similar to the Silkworms in terms of looks and manageability. Very easy to use and won't bend or tear up your RCA jacks!

These are Amazing ! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Thank you sir!! I greatly appreciate your compliments! :oops:

I am also a HUGE fan of the Silkworms. It really helped my system to use just Silkworms in the signal path. And it really did replace my Valhallas in my system. A nice price for a very nice cable.

Hey hi5harry! How are ya? I hope you are doing well and enjoying your system! I didn't know you were a member here, glad to see that you are, stick around and post some! :thumb:

Best to all of you and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Sincerely,
John