itunes stupid questions round 1

Songforyou

itunes stupid questions round 1
« on: 31 Dec 2007, 09:02 pm »
Just about to begin ripping my cd collection (1000ish) to itunes.  I would like some tips on how to organize my collection.

Do I import everything straight into the library and use playlists to sort or do I create folders (e.g. by genre) within the library?

What is the best way to sort within a genre? I noticed there are options to view "description" and "comment" fields.  I would like to be more specific for playback (e.g. "baroque classical" or "vocal music" instead of just "classical."

Also, is it possible to change the genre?  Kristofferson defaults to "rock" but I'd prefer to group him with country.

Just looking for any suggestions here before creating a mess that I'll have to sort through later.

My main use for itunes is to put music on for casual listening, so I'm looking for easy ways to play music by genre or sub-genre.

Thanks!

Len_Dreyer

Re: itunes stupid questions round 1
« Reply #1 on: 31 Dec 2007, 10:07 pm »
When you import a cd into iTunes, it goes out and pulls all pertinent info if the cd is in the gracenotes database.

There is a lot of flexiblity in the genres. You can create your own. For example, I break jazz into two broad categories: jazz and jazz-vocals. I break folk into about six different categories. You can do a lot using this one field to organize your music. I tend to organize like my favorite record shop.

You can change genre or any field anytime you want. You will probably want to change some of the info picked up from gracenotes. Have fun.

Len

PS make sure you pick a good ripping rate or you might wind up doing this more than once. I have. I'm currently using lossless.