GK-1R HT bypass

PT914

GK-1R HT bypass
« on: 31 Dec 2007, 08:47 pm »
Hi,

I am modifying the relay board of the GK-1R because as of now the HT bypass is not working for me since I am using the subwoofer output as a woofer out put for my Orion+ and the main speaker out for the midrange and tweeter.  Up to now, I was using the relay board with no power to the relays and just using one input.  What has pushed me into this mod is….I have a week to evaluate an AV processor and I’m trying to do a 5.1 system with Orions as the front left and right.  I also need to activate the relays on the board since I’m adding vinyl as a source and using Hugh’s Paris head amp and phono section on the relay board.  My goal is to run the AV pre/pro with the GK-1R in an off state as well as on state.  One draw back with this modification is the loss of the mute function.

This is an on going mod; I know it works with the GK-1R off.  I have not tried all the button combination possible in the on state so do not try it yet.  I’m opening this up to the forum to see if anyone can see a potential problem before I run in to it.
For nomenclature the paired relay pins are numbered 1 to 7 with each pair label a and b; 1a, 1b, 2a etc. for the right and left channel.  1 is closest to the inputs and I am only dealing with pins 1-3.  In the off state 2 and 3 are connected.  In the on state 1 and 3 are connected.

The mod is for the AV pre/pro to be placed at the aux input and that is the only input to bypass the GK-1R.  The mod is essentially connect aux input channel a with the bypass relay 2a and mute relay 2a and aux input channel b with the bypass relay 2b and the mute relay 2b.  The stock links between the channel a and b bus to bypass relay 1a and 1b are removed. 

At the bypass relay the pc board track between the tube output pins (both right and left) and bypass relay pins 2a and 2b are cut.  The pins are then linked to 1a and 1b with cat5 wire.

At the mute relay the pc board track between the output wiper pins (both left and right) and the RCA output are cut.  Both mute resistors are removed.  Mute relay pins 3a and 3b are linked with the RCA output (both right and left) with cat5 wire using the nonground hole for the mute resistor linked with RCA base pins.

So both the bypass and mute relay pins 3 are linked to the RCA outputs.  And both the output wiper pins and the tube output pins are connected to the bypass and mute relay pins 1.  To use the GK-1R normally both the mute and bypass relays have to be activated or on.  When both are inactive, input at aux is bypass to both the sub and main output.  When the GK-1R is on, selecting the aux input also links ground from aux input to output.  When the Gk-1R is completely off a link has to be made for ground.  I ran a cat5 wire from the aux input ground and ground output through a mini-switch, so when the GK-1R is off; only the mini-switch has to be in a link position.

Hope I explained things so that one can understand what I did.  The bypass works with the GK-1R off.  Now I have see if everything works in the on state.  Please comment if you see any problems before I turn it on.

Happy New Year,
Philip

AKSA

Re: GK-1R HT bypass
« Reply #1 on: 6 Jan 2008, 10:56 am »
Thanks Philip,

Your description is very clear.  It's amazing that ol' GK1 just seems to be getting better and better, the Platinum upgrade is very much worth it, adds a new lease of life!

Cheers,

Hugh

PT914

Re: GK-1R HT bypass
« Reply #2 on: 6 Jan 2008, 05:36 pm »
Hi,

Amazingly everything works as planned.  Did notice two small things.  The left and right input pins are mislabeled as wells as the sub output. 

The AV pre/pro worked fine bypassing the GK-1R in an off state.  I did not have the chance to try turning the GK-1R on, selecting a different source with the AV still connected and the added ground switch on.  No problem leaving the ground switch on with the AV disconnected.

The Platinum upgrade arrangement is the best I've heard.  Adds so much to the enjoyment of music.

Cheers,
Philip