looking for pictures of Lorelei and Nightingale

byteme

« on: 24 Sep 2003, 02:06 pm »
Hello,  I'm looking for a couple of pictures of either of these speakers in their natural environment.  The pics on the web site are OK but I'm trying to gauge interest (my wife's) in a new pair of speakers.  It probably won't happen this year but I'm looking at a couple different pair.

Leading the pack based on looks and reveiws alone are (in order)

Tyler Audio Linbrook Floorstanders
Meadowlark Audio Kestrel 2
Ellis 1801b
VMPS 626R

We both prefer floorstanders but are open for ideas.  The Odyssey speakers have gotten such good press here that I thought I'd run a picture of them by my wife and see what she thinks.  

Thanks!

subhuman

« Reply #1 on: 24 Sep 2003, 07:09 pm »
Yes, it's too bad there aren't better pictures of the Lorelei's in particular - I might have purchased them if there were!

6moons.com will be reviewing the Loreleis in the next month or so, and will probably have some more pictures within the review (pretty much any picture would be better than the one on the odysseyaudio website) ... I'm looking forward to this review ...

Captain Humble

« Reply #2 on: 24 Sep 2003, 08:05 pm »
I'll try to post a few pics tomorrow afternoon.
Jeff

Marbles

« Reply #3 on: 24 Sep 2003, 08:45 pm »
CH,

How do you like the Lorelies so far?

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #4 on: 25 Sep 2003, 05:44 am »
Yah, what Marbles asked, I`d like to know also. I hopefully don`t have too much longer to wait for mine? You got your ears on Klaus? :D Regards, Robin

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #5 on: 25 Sep 2003, 08:17 am »
All ears my friend.  Always listening and minding,  just like my kids. :lol:

Anyway,  your oak cabinets are in customs right now,  and we should have the complete order ready to ship sometimes next week,

Klaus

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #6 on: 25 Sep 2003, 08:23 am »
Quote from: klaus@odyssey
All ears my friend.  Always listening and minding,  just like my kids. :lol:

Anyway,  your oak cabinets are in customs right now,  and we should have the complete order ready to ship sometimes next week,

Klaus
                                                                                                              YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :hyper:

Eduardo AAVM

« Reply #7 on: 25 Sep 2003, 04:25 pm »
Quote from: subhuman

6moons.com will be reviewing the Loreleis in the next month or so, and will probably have some more pictures within the review (pretty much any picture would be better than the one on the odysseyaudio website) ... I'm looking forward to this review ...

Thanks for the news, surely I'll be looking for that review also...

drphoto

« Reply #8 on: 26 Sep 2003, 01:05 am »
As noted in another post, we're going to shoot new pics in a few weeks. The Lorelei wasn't available when we did the others (so the shot on the web site isn't mine)

I could take some pics in my listening room as well as product, but its pretty modern decor.....not your typical suburban home.  At least it would give a sense of scale. The room does look a bit more finished than those snapshots I threw on the HD site a year or so ago.

Hey Armando, I still owe you that shot of the black Tempest. Sorry I've not gotten to it sooner. You've got to visit if you come to Indy for the F1 race next year. (I'm only 1hr or so south)

Eduardo AAVM

« Reply #9 on: 26 Sep 2003, 03:12 am »
Armando ? Do you mean Eduardo? Joseph

No problem I shot one, it isn't at the quality level of yours but it is useful...

Of course I have a bigger one but I have not uploaded it...

sherod

« Reply #10 on: 26 Sep 2003, 03:32 am »
:D  This is the same black Tempest that I have. Try to get a good close-up pic showing the cool holographic Odyssey logo. I sit mesmerized looking at mine every night as I enjoy the immensely musical sounds it produces.

Eduardo AAVM

« Reply #11 on: 26 Sep 2003, 04:07 am »
Here is a bigger photo of the Tempest:

I created a gallery
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;album=112

But the picture is this:

drphoto

« Reply #12 on: 26 Sep 2003, 04:08 am »
Eduardo.... :oops:

Sorry.......long day in the studio :?

Eduardo AAVM

« Reply #13 on: 26 Sep 2003, 04:37 am »
No problem Joseph... Your pics have been very very useful... and are very nice...

Captain Humble

« Reply #14 on: 26 Sep 2003, 08:45 pm »
Marbles,
Sorry for the delayed response but life’s been hectic since you asked how I like the Loreleis so far.

They just logged 500 hours and should now be reasonably broken in.
I intend to do a head to head comparison with my Marble 9.0s ASAP, but this weekend is pretty much booked.  

Marbles asked how I like them so far.  The following is not a review and does not include system, room description and types of music auditioned.  These are simply first impressions.  When I reference the Marble 9.0s please understand I truly love the sound of these babies.  The reason I decided to try the Loreleis is that on rare ocasions I like to listen to music at volumes that drive my wife and friends from the room and the 9.0s just aren't up to it.  At reasonable levels I am very pleased with them.

First Impressions:

1.  Great timbre match with a Marble 9.0 center just as Marbles & Klaus predicted.

2.  They can be driven beyond the 9.0s limits and therefore deliver greater SPLs.

3.  I’ve noticed that the sound seems to saturate or fill the room if you will. Very nice.

4.  The music is all there, and draws me in even at low volume levels. This is a very pleasant surprise.  I can actually listen to classical and jazz at low levels without fear of waking my wife, and still feel totally involved in the music. I imagine that the Dual Monos have something to do with this as well.

5.  As TheeeChosenOne observed, the Loreleis sound very very nice.  I’ll know more after a direct comparison with my Marble 9.0s and maybe even my B&W P5s.

The bad news is that some of my recordings still sound second rate just as they always did.

I promised a picture without realizing how much trouble it would be to get the color perfect indoors.  I’ve got a killer camera but in fairness to Klaus I must defer posting a picture until it is truly representative of his product.

Jay S

« Reply #15 on: 2 Oct 2003, 02:00 pm »
Very interesting!  I love the fact that the Lorelei's are floorstanders.  I went through a lot of trouble to get my custom wood stands made for the marble 9.0.  

I'd love to know more about the Loreleis.  I imagine that the parts quality is top notch.  Any details on the XO - design and parts used?  I have been wanting to upgrade the XOs of my 9.0 for a long time, but have been frustrated as nOrh has dragged its heels on selling me a set of XO boards (I would rather not hassle with trying to remove the XO boards from my 9.0s).

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #16 on: 2 Oct 2003, 08:15 pm »
What can I say about the Loreleis?  
They are,  in fact the Symphonic Line Legatos.  We get the xo from SL, have the cabinets made (1" MDF) in Canada,  and use the same Scan Speak drivers,  9700,  and 8545 Revelators.

SL  right now sells the speakers for $ 7,000.  (6,000 Euros)  in Germany,   and we've had them available for $ 7,600.  before we started making them ourselves.  List now $ 2500.

As for the xo,  figure Audyn caps throughout,  SL  wiring,  and ridiculously large (3) coils,  up to 2.7 mH !!!!  Special here is that Rolf uses 2.5 mm copper wiring,  which pretty much no other manufacturer uses.  Even the vast majority of 20 K + speakers only use 2 mm wiring.  What does all of this mean???  Well,  great performance,  of course.  Like I said,  it's a Symphonic Line design,  and essentially a trickle down model from the 21 K BelCantos.

Late,

Klaus

Christophe35

« Reply #17 on: 2 Oct 2003, 09:30 pm »
Klaus, can you indicate the brand and model of the coils ?

Thanks for any information,
Christophe

byteme

« Reply #18 on: 2 Oct 2003, 10:19 pm »
Very interesting!  Klaus, thanks for jumping in and commenting.   Recently in my search I've run across the North Creek Music Borealis "kit" speaker which uses the same woofer and a similar tweeter, if I did those I'd actually go with the 9900 Revelator and their almost "ludicrious speed" crossover the "Unlimited".   Very similar stature, however the Lorelei is a bit taller, drivers are BOTH aligned on center and has a sloped baffel.

I imagine sound is very similar, no?  The biggest difference would be crossover design and components.

Couple of addl. questions - Are the veneers stained or varnished?  Is the "light cherry" the finish on the Nightingale and Circe on the web site?  What would you mate with these for a center channel?

Thanks!

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #19 on: 2 Oct 2003, 10:31 pm »
I went with the Nemisis center channel speaker for my center. Klaus has stated that all his speakers are very closely voiced with each other so I would imagine any combination of his speakers would work depending on your location requirements. Thanks all I got. :) Regards, Robin