'The Savages'...

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
'The Savages'...
« on: 29 Dec 2007, 07:07 am »
...are brother and sister who have to deal with a father in early dimentia.  Played by Phillip Seymour Hoffman and one of my FAVORITE actors, Laura Linney, they collect Dad in Sun City*, AZ and get him into a resthome in gloomy, cold, snowy Buffalo where the brother is an egghead teacher** at a small college.  Of course they learn a few things about themselves in the process. 

It seemed rather self-indulgent (as in boring and going nowhere fast) for a while and I considered leaving, but I was rewarded by the end with some warming of their hard, cynical selves.  Worth your time if you like these sorts of somewhat-aimless-boomer stories.

* a dozen or so miles NW of Phoenix
** one of those who knows LOTS about essentially useless subjects and who teaches classes akin to underwater basker weaving.

amadeus916

• Aperion Audio
Re: 'The Savages'...
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jan 2008, 12:35 am »
I loved this movie as well...I have never seen Phillip Seymour Hoffman play a bad role. Seriously...Great actor. I love the scene when they are outside of the hospital and he is in a screaming match with his sister about death...So funny/tragic.

Great movie... :thumb: