Best <$350 cartridge?

Johnny

Best <$350 cartridge?
« on: 23 Sep 2003, 07:38 pm »
Greetings,
I'm in the market for a new cartridge for my SEAC arm.
I have a Creek OBHse MC preamp so I can consider MM and high or low output MC carts.
In the running at the moment are:

AudioTechnica OC9 Mk II (low op MC)
Goldring Eroica (low op MC)
Dynavector 10x5 (high op MC)
Clearaudio Aurum beta (MM)
Goldring 1042 (MM)

Any clear winners here, or others to consider?

(All appear to have compatible compliance except the Dyanavector is just a tad stiff.)
Thanks,
John

Psychicanimal

Best <$350 cartridge?
« Reply #1 on: 23 Sep 2003, 07:54 pm »
Dude,

There's no such thing as "best". :nono:

meilankev

Best <$350 cartridge?
« Reply #2 on: 23 Sep 2003, 08:34 pm »
John,

I use a Benz-Micro MC-Gold, and I am very happy with it.  The "vinyl site" I use is www.elusivedisc.com and their current price is $349.99.  However, with a trade-in, their price is $224.99!!!  This is a MC cartridge with 0.4mV output.

They also carry some of the other cartridges you are interested in.  their prices are as follows:

Clearaudio Aurum  (3.3 mV) $299.99  ($269.99 w/ trade)
Dynavector 10x5   (2.5 mV)  $349.99
Goldring  1042 (6.5 mv <MM>)  $339.99

I agree with the previous poster.  Audio is all about synergy - therefore there are no absolutes.  What works best in my system may not prove to be the best in others'.

Good luck,
Kevin

doug s.

• makin' music
Best <$350 cartridge?
« Reply #3 on: 24 Sep 2003, 07:05 pm »
i agree w/the psychic here - system synergy & personal taste are too important.  that said, i tink the ortofon mc2f-fl is an exceptional performer.  seems to be wery neutral, a great tracker, loads of detail.

if ya can't afford to audition, another option is to keep yer eyes peeled for a good deal on a lightly used mega-bucks cartridge that ya have heard, or have heard about, that seems to fit your system/tastes.  even if it ain't the greatest, if ya can get one for 20 or 25 cents on the dollar, it will still likely out-perform anyting comparable at a new retail price.  i picked up a completely overhauled lyra clavis this way, for basically the cost of the rebuild.  it was done by symphonic line - klaus sold it to me.  still haven't tried it yet, cuz i'm happy w/the mc2-fl...   :wink:

if ya have to have new, check out member 2juki on audiogon - he sells good cheap cartridges from honk kong...  i got my ortofon from the needle dr, but thay were having a special on 'em; dunno if it's still awailable.

doug s.

Malcolm Fear

Best <$350 cartridge?
« Reply #4 on: 24 Sep 2003, 10:50 pm »
People keep coming back to the Denon 103. It is cheap.

Oz_Audio

Best <$350 cartridge?
« Reply #5 on: 27 Sep 2003, 03:57 am »
I use a Denon DL160 high output MC.

Sensational, very cheap and works well with my 20yo Linn LP12.

Mark

michael w

Best <$350 cartridge?
« Reply #6 on: 30 Sep 2003, 09:24 am »
As the others have said there are no clear winners/losers.

Don't forget these two old timers;

Sumiko Blue Point Special

Shure V15 VxMR

cheerio