Aspen Gear

nutgrass

Aspen Gear
« on: 10 Jan 2003, 02:31 pm »
Hi Folk's
new to this forum stuff, just wondering if there is many opinions on the aspen kits, are they any good?.
Hugh reckons he's too biased to give an honest answer and suggested i should ask around.
Currently have NAD gear
any help appreciated
Thanks

Ferdi

Aspen Gear
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jan 2003, 03:30 pm »
Hi nutgrass, there are many opinions posted on AKSA amps. Not many over here yet as we're only about 3 weeks old.

Check out our "old home" at HD. It should have old review on AKSA amps.

I haven't heard them myself so can't comment.

nutgrass

Aspen Gear
« Reply #2 on: 10 Jan 2003, 04:06 pm »
Thanks Ferdi
I suppose I should have said AKSA.
Could you give me the old address please, not sure what HD is

Marbles

Aspen Gear
« Reply #3 on: 10 Jan 2003, 04:08 pm »
Here you go..

http://www.harmonicdiscord.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=42

I have not heard any of Hugh's amps, but the guys who build them all seem to RAVE about them.

I'd be willing to bet it would be a significant upgrade for you.

Rocket

aksa amps
« Reply #4 on: 10 Jan 2003, 11:41 pm »
hello nutgrass,

i've just completed an aksa 100 which is improving daily.  i believe that it is better than my n.e.w. dc-66 battery powered amplifier which originally cost $3000us/$6500 au.  i just wish i'd heard about these amps before i bought it.

regards

rod

JohnR

Aspen Gear
« Reply #5 on: 11 Jan 2003, 03:11 am »
Hey I have a couple and I like 'em :-). I find them to be very enjoyable to listen to. I did compare them to a $$ commercial amp a long time ago and was very happy w/ the results of the comparison. (I sold the Plinius.)

I try not to plug things because everyone's different and has a different system and preferences, you know, but for someone who like to build things the AKSA is a great amp. And Hugh has no problems with people who want to tweak more later, there's some suggestions on his website or you can also buy the upgrade kit.

HTH

JohnR

nutgrass

Thanks for the feedback
« Reply #6 on: 11 Jan 2003, 02:57 pm »
Much appreciated, and yes everyone has different tastes I suppose and there own set of ears.
regards
Ian

Rocket

aksa amps
« Reply #7 on: 12 Jan 2003, 12:10 am »
hello nutgrass,

i agree with john that we all have our own personal tastes and that our systems are all different.

i just like the sound of theses amps, they recreate sound which is very real.  i've just had mine built and they are better than my previous amp which cost $6500 au new.

anyway good luck with you decision.

regards

rod

JohnR

Aspen Gear
« Reply #8 on: 12 Jan 2003, 03:56 am »
Regardless, nutgrass, an AKSA is a huge step up from NAD.

Sometimes I see people saying, is an AKSA amp really that good all I see are guys upgrading from mid-fi. Piffle! I have owned an Audio Research 100.2 and a Plinius 8200, these amps are not usually considered to be "mid-fi" ;-). I like the way my AKSAs present the music better than those.

J

Rocket

Aspen Gear
« Reply #9 on: 12 Jan 2003, 12:46 pm »
hello,

i actually think the guys upgrading from mid fi equipment are the lucky ones.  they haven't spent kilo bucks on their amps like i have before discovering the aksa products.

regards

rod

andyr

Is AKSA Worth It !!??
« Reply #10 on: 14 Jan 2003, 10:28 am »
Well, here's my 2c worth.

I think AKSA amps are fantastic.  If you are unable to follow instructions -  and use a soldering iron - well, sorry ... ya gotta pay the big bucks for real-good sound!!

If you can ... then build the AKSA kits!!

I have a 3-way active Maggie IIIa setup - ie. I need 3 x stereo power amps to drive them.  I was using (first generation) Naim 250s to power my Maggies.  Then I built 3 AKSAs and wow, the difference was amazing!!  Much more "life force" to the music.  Yes, I could have upgraded with 3 x current Naim 250s but this would have cost about 5 times what it cost me to build the AKSAs!

Regards,

Andy

Rocket

aksa amps
« Reply #11 on: 15 Jan 2003, 02:05 am »
hello,

actually i have zero skills with electronics and soldering.  i had read and heard so much about these amps that i was determined to have one.  i had hugh pre-assemble the amp boards/power supply and he shipped one of his cases to me.

a friend who is quite good with electronics finished it off the amp for me.  i'm going to complete an electronics course this year as i think diy is the way to go if you have the expertise.

anyway back to listening to my new aksa.

regards

rod

EchiDna

Aspen Gear
« Reply #12 on: 15 Jan 2003, 03:41 am »
AKSAphiles biased??? NEVER ;-)

to clarify: I'm the owner of an AKSA 100 and the new GK-1 preamp which is just up and running last night in it's final 'form' chassis incomplete atm...

There is probably 10 or so AKSA's here in Singapore of various flavours, monoblocks, 55's, 100's, Nirvana'ed, stock, DIY upgrades etc... and all are well used and have replaced amps up to 30k (I know of Naim and Krell in the local FOR SALE column thanks to AKSA's)

anyway I digress... My point is that an AKSA of whatever form should give you way more bang for buck than anything I know of in the market. Of course if your ears are very very good and your wallet is very very fat you might get a few small % of gain for the large slimming effect on your wallet   :?

Don't worry about your lack of experience, the instructions are AWESOMELY good, Hugh's backup is without a doubt the best after sales service I have ever encountered and you will gain a large amount of satisfaction from the job.

Look out for a comparison shortly of AKSA Vs PASS Vs Gainclone. There is a DIY Audio gathering in Singapore this weekend and there will be some friendly 'competition' going on from builders of each type ;-)

Rocket

Aspen Gear
« Reply #13 on: 15 Jan 2003, 04:09 am »
hello echidna,

just wondering which pass labs amp your going to compare the aksa to?

regards

rod

EchiDna

Aspen Gear
« Reply #14 on: 15 Jan 2003, 06:44 am »
Hopefully Aleph 5... not certain it will be there yet.

nutgrass

Aspen Gear
« Reply #15 on: 15 Jan 2003, 01:09 pm »
Quote from: EchiDna
AKSAphiles biased??? NEVER ;-)

to clarify: I'm the owner of an AKSA 100 and the new GK-1 preamp

Let us know how you go with the GK-1 EchiDna, as I just ordered one but won't be able to throw it together for a mth or two (am o/seas)
Nutgrass

seppstefano

Aspen Gear
« Reply #16 on: 15 Jan 2003, 03:31 pm »
Hi,
should anybody own a GK-1, please drop a line. I'm actually looking for an upgrade for my pre.

Thanks a lot,

Stefano