Brad

Re: your best musical find of the year?
« Reply #20 on: 10 Jan 2008, 05:08 pm »
The movie soundtrack from "Once" - also introduced me to The Frames
Great music movie too, btw.

Wellfed

« Reply #21 on: 10 Jan 2008, 07:53 pm »
If worshiping God doesn't disturb your peace, ANYTHING by Misty Edwards.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #22 on: 10 Jan 2008, 08:24 pm »
It comes across initially as somewhat pablum but the Stranger Than Fiction soundtrack turned me on to Spoon.   I love the stuff they did on that movie (The Book I Write, etc.) and the album previous to the latest (it's callled Gimme Fiction).  I'm not yet into the newest, but just because I've been behind lately.

richidoo

« Reply #23 on: 10 Jan 2008, 08:41 pm »
I picked up several excellent/favorite cd's this year, though my best new find would probably have to be Global Rhythm Magazine (thanks to mjoseph), the samplers have been leading me in many new directions  :thumb:

Same thing happened to me, except with my new Grammaphone magazine subscription. They send a sampler disk every month, with tracks from the full albums which are reviewed inside the magazine. The tracks are all editors picks, and they are all awesome. 60% is operatic vocals which I skip, but occasionally I like one, and the instrumental tracks are usually incredible. It is fun to read the 1 page review while listening to the sample track. A very fun hour indeed!
Rich

JoshK

« Reply #24 on: 10 Jan 2008, 09:16 pm »
I too have reignited my love in Spoon.  I've been listening a *lot* to Gimme Fiction lately.

ricmon

« Reply #25 on: 10 Jan 2008, 09:21 pm »
Shirley Scott.  One killer jazz organist.

mcrespo71

« Reply #26 on: 10 Jan 2008, 09:22 pm »
I found Rihanna.  Thank God! :drool:

jon_010101

« Reply #27 on: 10 Jan 2008, 09:27 pm »
Howe Gelb 'Sno Angel Like You, and his albums with Giant Sand (from which Calexico arose).

awe-d-o-file

• Industry Participant
« Reply #28 on: 12 Jan 2008, 06:03 pm »
Slaughterhouse 3! Gary Willis and Kirk Covington of Tribal Tech fame with Spain's Llibert Fortuny on sax. Amazing cool album. You would have a hard time hearing the tracks individually and thinking they were from the same album. Fortuny is amazing on sax in that he voices his sax in many ways. Some won't like this as they want a dry uneffected sound. He has as many sounds on his sax as Zawinul had on keys.

ET

Wayner

« Reply #29 on: 12 Jan 2008, 07:36 pm »
Acoustic Sounds had 5 used Andreas Vollenweider albums just sittin' there waiting for me. They were Behind the Garden-Behind the Wall-Under the Tree...., Dancing with the Lion, White Winds, Caverna Magica and Book of Roses. All vinyl and covers in near mint condition all for low price.

W