What's In Your Egg Nogg

John151

What's In Your Egg Nogg
« on: 23 Dec 2007, 11:34 pm »
What do you put in your Nogg:  Brandy, Rum, Scotch, Sherry, Baily's, Kahlua, ?

Bigfish

Re: What's In Your Egg Nogg
« Reply #1 on: 23 Dec 2007, 11:36 pm »
What do you put in your Nogg:  Brandy, Rum, Scotch, Sherry, Baily's, Kahlua, ?

How about some good old George Dickel Wiskey?

yooper

« Reply #2 on: 24 Dec 2007, 12:56 am »
Kessler blended whiskey  aa

Mark

John151

« Reply #3 on: 24 Dec 2007, 02:19 am »
In years past, I have used dark Rum.  However, this year, I am making a huge change - switching to Brandy.  Of course, both versions are topped with NutMeg.

Close call as to which one I prefer.  I think some A/B tests are in order. :thumb:

The Computer Audiophile

• Computer Audiophile
« Reply #4 on: 24 Dec 2007, 02:55 am »
Sake + Eggnog = Nagasake

jimdgoulding

« Reply #5 on: 24 Dec 2007, 03:02 am »
Bourbon.  I'm in Texas, after all, but that don't mean I know anybody that uses tequila.  Nutmeg, of course.

slwiser

« Reply #6 on: 24 Dec 2007, 03:06 am »
I don't drink Egg Nogg.  I drink a southern drink called Boiled Custard.  It taste to me so much better.  But since most people only use the Egg Nogg as a filter for other things, I guess taste does not matter much.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

John151

« Reply #7 on: 24 Dec 2007, 03:07 am »
I don't drink Egg Nogg.  I drink a southern drink called Boiled Custard.  It taste to me so much better.  But since most people only use the Egg Nogg as a filter for other things, I guess taste does not matter much.

Is a "Boiled Custard" anything like a Tom & Jerry? 

slwiser

« Reply #8 on: 24 Dec 2007, 03:13 am »

Is a "Boiled Custard" anything like a Tom & Jerry? 

My wife makes a very special banana pudding and the custard (not a pudding out of a box) that is in it is a bit thicker than the Christmas Boiled Custard that we have at Christmas.  That is the nearest that I can come to describing it taste.  It is definitely a desert drink to be taken with a good pound cake or pastry. 

JoshK

« Reply #9 on: 24 Dec 2007, 03:23 am »
The way I use to drink it was the way my grandmother taught me.   3:1 egg nog to ginger ale (maybe 4:1, depends on taste) and a shot of canadian whiskey, top with nutmeg.  Sounds gross, tastes good.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #10 on: 24 Dec 2007, 04:14 am »
In years past, I have used dark Rum.  However, this year, I am making a huge change - switching to Brandy.  Of course, both versions are topped with NutMeg.

Close call as to which one I prefer.  I think some A/B tests are in order. :thumb:

John151.....
If you need a beta tester....I'm available... :beer: :jester:

djbnh

« Reply #11 on: 24 Dec 2007, 05:11 am »
Freshly grated nutmeg for all, brandy or Tennessee whiskey or bourbon or Meyer's rum for adults (let the booze meld in the egg yolk / sugar / cream mixture for a minimum of 24 hours before you beat and fold in the egg whites). Joy of Cooking's recipe is a good place to start, but up the recommended alcohol, from my experience.  :thumb:

I remember drinking commercial eggnog, and after doing the homemade version, the latter is like sipping a refined airy confection, the former resembles dogy melted ice cream. YMMV.

Merry Christmas to all.

edit: substituted nutmeg. Doh!
« Last Edit: 24 Dec 2007, 05:38 am by djbnh »

mjosef

« Reply #12 on: 24 Dec 2007, 05:20 am »
I would have brandy in my nogg,, if I had any nogg...

John151

« Reply #13 on: 24 Dec 2007, 02:10 pm »
The way I use to drink it was the way my grandmother taught me.   3:1 egg nog to ginger ale (maybe 4:1, depends on taste) and a shot of canadian whiskey, top with nutmeg.  Sounds gross, tastes good.

That does sound gross, but I am going to give it a try.