mono transformer

Rocket

mono transformer
« on: 21 Sep 2003, 12:56 pm »
hi guys,

i have an n.e.w. dc-66 battery amplifier which cost me a lot of $$$ and isn't working.

apparently this amp has a fault with the recharge circuit.  last year i bought new batteries for the amp and unfortunately the recharge circuit malfunctioned and destroyed the batteries.  to replace the batteries would cost about $580au plus i would need to have the recharge circuit modified in some way.  i have instructions from cary audio (the oem manufacturer of the amp) to modify the circuit.

i've thought of using the ne.w. chassis and building an aksa 55 nirvana amp.   i think it would cost a little more than modifying the recharge circuit and replacing the batteries in the n.e.w.

one minor problem would be that i think it might be a little tight to place 2 transformers in the chassis of the amp.  

my question is how do the aksa amps sound if only one transformer is used?  btw i have an aksa 100 nirvana dual mono which sounds great.

i just hate the thougth of a great looking chassis sitting around idly.

regards

rocket

PJ

mono transformer
« Reply #1 on: 21 Sep 2003, 04:48 pm »
Have you thought about building an AC power supply for the N.E.W?

Rocket

mono transformer
« Reply #2 on: 22 Sep 2003, 11:02 am »
hi pj,

yes that is an option i could do.  my tech friend has already offered to have a try at converting the amp.

i contacted cary audio and kirk stated he had major problems with hum when he tried to convert the amp from dc to ac power supply.

it may be worth a try.

regards

rod

btw pj you should drop me a line sometime and come over for a listen to my system.  aksa 100 is now nirvana and the perpetual tech dac is now modwright level 1.

PJ

mono transformer
« Reply #3 on: 22 Sep 2003, 11:08 am »
Rod,

I will do once I have finished this year...I have a thesis due in 5 weeks, then I may have to look at my unit material in the week before exams start  :o

I'll be in contact then.